Welcome To aBlackWeb

White People With Dreads

NeighborhoodNomad

the marathon continues........
I love pretty much all things natural whether it's food, art, cosmetics (or lack thereof), energy, hair, etc. I love it. I've also never been a fan of weaves or wigs or even makeup. But that's me and I don't mean to judge other's preferences. I only seek clarity.

So my question is ... Is hair straighteners, weaves, wigs, or extensions for Sistas the equivalent to White folks with dreads?

I don't see the difference. Help me understand.

Is this a form of cultural appropriation on both sides or nah?

Nah, cuz when u hear chicks talk about weave they say "brazilian bundle" and a lot of that shit comes from middle east or east africa, which brings me to my main point, if u look at most east africans, they have similar a similar hair texture. None of them goes and gets the Cac bundle

I love pretty much all things natural whether it's food, art, cosmetics (or lack thereof), energy, hair, etc. I love it. I've also never been a fan of weaves or wigs or even makeup. But that's me and I don't mean to judge other's preferences. I only seek clarity.

So my question is ... Is hair straighteners, weaves, wigs, or extensions for Sistas the equivalent to White folks with dreads?

I don't see the difference. Help me understand.

Is this a form of cultural appropriation on both sides or nah?
Ancient Egyptians (black folks) used to shave off their hair and eyelashes for hygiene and wear handmade wigs. White folks in Greece/Rome did too, usually sourcing wig hair from slaves.

I wouldn't say it's cultural appropriation if there's a history of the same practice within the culture or racial group in question. if the practice is borrowed from another group, sure. cultural appropriation is generally when it's a dominant and oppressive group doing the hijacking of cultural artifacts tho.

Ancient Egyptians (black folks) used to shave off their hair and eyelashes for hygiene and wear handmade wigs. White folks in Greece/Rome did too, usually sourcing wig hair from slaves.

I wouldn't say it's cultural appropriation if there's a history of the same practice within the culture or racial group in question. if the practice is borrowed from another group, sure. cultural appropriation is generally when it's a dominant and oppressive group doing the hijacking of cultural artifacts tho.

But the Egyptians wore hair/wigs that was from other Black folks.

Nah, cuz when u hear chicks talk about weave they say "brazilian bundle" and a lot of that shit comes from middle east or east africa, which brings me to my main point, if u look at most east africans, they have similar a similar hair texture. None of them goes and gets the Cac bundle

If a Brazilian woman got a Brazilian wig/weave I understand because that's a natural texture to a Brazilian woman.

If a Brazilian woman got a Brazilian wig/weave I understand because that's a natural texture to a Brazilian woman.

You missed my point, well points lol

1. You said they're appropriating white culture, none of the hair they wear is cac.
2. Most importantly, many black women naturally have that texture of hair.

But the Egyptians wore hair/wigs that was from other Black folks.
True. The Ancient Greeks/Romans were getting them from all sorts of other (generally Euro) ethnic groups they had as slaves. They also had African slaves like Terence at one point so it's possible at least some of those slaves they were making wigs from were black.

Brazilian aint a race tho, 53% of the West African diaspora is there. When people say Brazilian bundle, they usually mean hair texture that looks like this:
6pcs-lot-virgin-brazilian-jerry-curly-hair.jpg

which is commonly found among black people or at the very least people who aint white.

You missed my point, well points lol

1. You said they're appropriating white culture, none of the hair they wear is cac.
2. Most importantly, many black women naturally have that texture of hair.

Most Black women don't have straight hair tho. Or let me clarify... Most of the women who get this hair have a natural texture that's different from the one they choose to wear.

Like if a Sista chose to get fake dreads or wear an afro wig or if a White woman got straight hair extensions or a wig with straight hair. They're both wearing a different style that would be natural to them.

Most Black women don't have straight hair tho. Or let me clarify... Most of the women who get this hair have a natural texture that's different from the one they choose to wear.

Like if a Sista chose to get fake dreads or wear an afro wig or if a White woman got straight hair extensions or a wig with straight hair. They're both wearing a different style that would be natural to them.

So you have an issue with a black chick who naturally has curly hair getting it straightened?

So you have an issue with a black chick who naturally has curly hair getting it straightened?

A little bit yeah. It's just my preference tho. If her hair is naturally straight I prefer her naturally straight hair. If she has naturally curly or kinky hair I prefer that.

They mfs need to cut that shit. I hate dreads on whites. They look stupid af.

Why if you don't mind elaborating? Does unnaturally straight hair on Sistas look stupid af to you as well? Is white folks with dreads comparable to Sistas with unnaturally straight hair?

Black people cannot I repeat CANNOT steal/take/borrow from white people. It's cultural assimilation, not appropriation.

It becomes a problem when non African or black people snatch our hair styles and claim them as their own. Many have done this. From bantu knots being called mini buns and one of the Kartrashians renaming cornrows as Bo Derek braids. Idek who df a Bo Derek really is, but it sounds white.

You can wear your hair however you like imo. It's sensitive bc what we have naturally has been called nappy, wooly, cotton in which are all in a negative connotation. Now white folks wanna come along and wear their hair as we do and all of a sudden it's a new trend or cute. THAT is my problem.

I straighten my hair no more than 3 times a year bc for one, I get to see my length, for two, I get to feel and see my scalp, and three, to clip my ends. Oh and one more, my hair will revert back to it's natural state after water hits it.

Black people cannot I repeat CANNOT steal/take/borrow from white people. It's cultural assimilation, not appropriation.

It becomes a problem when non African or black people snatch our hair styles and claim them as their own. Many have done this. From bantu knots being called mini buns and one of the Kartrashians renaming cornrows as Bo Derek braids. Idek who df a Bo Derek really is, but it sounds white.

You can wear your hair however you like imo. It's sensitive bc what we have naturally has been called nappy, wooly, cotton in which are all in a negative connotation. Now white folks wanna come along and wear their hair as we do and all of a sudden it's a new trend or cute. THAT is my problem.

I straighten my hair no more than 3 times a year bc for one, I get to see my length, for two, I get to feel and see my scalp, and three, to clip my ends. Oh and one more, my hair will revert back to it's natural state after water hits it.

Got it, semantics aside is straightening your hair comparable to White folks with dreads? I'm sure they have their reasons for doing it just like you had your own reasons for straightening yours. And I don't think any White person with dreads is out here trying to claim it as their own. Maybe I'm wrong...

Reactions: Az
Fun story....

Years ago a kid couldn't graduate this private highschool cuz he had dreads...

And as always with the private schools in Baltimore, any issue facing them is as big deal and the whole city was chiming in.

Everyone called it discrimination. Their were blogs everywhere. Letters were written. It got blown out of proportion. People were upset.

The pressure was incredible. The school caves. The kids with the dreads can walk the stage.

Kid goes on TV thanking everybody because he thought it was unfair that the school didn't want to respect his identity and let him wear his hair the way he wanted.

Everybody looked at this white boy.... Collectively like:foh5:

U fucking serious????

Back