Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Which culture is more destructive?

Which is more destructive?

• Total voters
Viral shit and people doing things to go viral/get attention has always existed. That's more detrimental because people love attention. I think 2 questions that does need to be asked though is why some associate alot of negative shit that has nothing to do with rap/hiphop with it. Its like some people, both white and Black, see anything negative involving Black people and think "hip hop". And also why people tend to ignore the other things that are associated with hip hop outside of rap music that do have the positivity many say is lacking. People will see all sorts of art, fashion, dance etc that is clearly influenced by and/or directly connected to hip hop but won't give it that credit.

Viral shit and people doing things to go viral/get attention has always existed. That's more detrimental because people love attention. I think 2 questions that does need to be asked though is why some associate alot of negative shit that has nothing to do with rap/hiphop with it. Its like some people, both white and Black, see anything negative involving Black people and think "hip hop". And also why people tend to ignore the other things that are associated with hip hop outside of rap music that do have the positivity many say is lacking. People will see all sorts of art, fashion, dance etc that is clearly influenced by and/or directly connected to hip hop but won't give it that credit.

Viral shit was a fairly rare phenomenon prior to the advent of Youtube and social media beginning with Myspace. Also, the viral shit that was out there was funny shit like that dancing baby that got synced to all sorts of music, the nigga with the nunchaku that flipped onto his face, the star wars kid, "It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time", and stuff like that. Nowadays niggas are going viral for being on the opps block, talking shit about niggas, desecrating graves of the opps, gettin' shot up in the hood, and other fuckery. That one nigga that got shot up and posted from the hospital on some "I'm still alive" throwin up signs and shit went viral.

Plus, viral shit moved rather slowly across the internet because there weren't centralized places where that sutff could be consumed. I first ran across the dancing baby on an FTP site that had some AutoCAD DXF models on it that I was using for my design business. Today you have one-stop spots for such things like Youtube, Dailymotion, TikTok, etc.

This ain't the same as back inna day bruh.

Viral shit was a fairly rare phenomenon prior to the advent of Youtube and social media beginning with Myspace. Also, the viral shit that was out there was funny shit like that dancing baby that got synced to all sorts of music, the nigga with the nunchaku that flipped onto his face, the star wars kid, "It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time", and stuff like that. Nowadays niggas are going viral for being on the opps block, talking shit about niggas, desecrating graves of the opps, gettin' shot up in the hood, and other fuckery. That one nigga that got shot up and posted from the hospital on some "I'm still alive" throwin up signs and shit went viral.

Plus, viral shit moved rather slowly across the internet because there weren't centralized places where that sutff could be consumed. I first ran across the dancing baby on an FTP site that had some AutoCAD DXF models on it that I was using for my design business. Today you have one-stop spots for such things like Youtube, Dailymotion, TikTok, etc.

This ain't the same as back inna day bruh.

The main difference is that it moves quicker. But I've heard plenty of older folks say that had there been camera phones like there are now back in the day they would've been recording and sharing alot of their fuckery too. The people aren't that much different. The main thing that's changed is the way folks share the information. But the actions would still be going on.

Thats why I think the viral shit is worse because it reinforces the dumb shit people were already doing before the advent of "going viral" was a thing. Just now instead of somebody trying to be known in their city they wanna be known on the internet.

ROFL ...

I was listening to this randomly the other day and the intro to the song is just a random murder of another nigga... Released way back in 1996. Great album BTW

But HipHop is destructive to the culture currently 'yada yada' ... Sounding cracka like ... With those sound bites

I ain't even American but HipHop has saved my life literally... It's my oxygen... It's my essence ...

If anything blame social media for a large proportion of ills in the society today especially in the Western world... Kids killing themselves more over online bullshit than music

Be responsible and morally upstanding parents to your children too and not wastemen

Yeah while you can't ignore the violence in music now, folks my age talk about rap the same way the generation before us did while ignoring they took in the exact same content. Sure there's some subtle differences but to pretend as if drugs and violence hasn't been one of the theme of rap music since before drill came around is rewriting history

Hip hop done caught way more bodies as a form of music and "culture" than any other genre BY FAR 💯.

SHARE/VIRAL culture of fucking up naive,empty folks psyches but Hip hop is out here outright taking lives 🔥🔥

I think the votes is so schewed because black folk want to ignore the elephant in the role 💯

or.. nobody is ignoring shit and the folks that voted the other way are fully cognizant of the effects of "the culture" and still see social media/viral culture as more dangerous/detrimental overall

or.. nobody is ignoring shit and the folks that voted the other way are fully cognizant of the effects of "the culture" and still see social media/viral culture as more dangerous/detrimental overall
It plenty of folks on here that says rap influence is minuscule or dismiss rap as a bad influence outright

Maybe not you in particular, but I can guarantee you some folk in here side stepping that shit like I said. The disposition is too common amongst black people for that not to be the case.

Gotcha.

The current state of rap music is quite destructive to our society (i.e. Black society), but combined with social media and it poses a significantly greater threat to us as a whole. Without social media, this garbage passing as hip hop doesn't spread as fast or have the reach it currently has. The music alone is destructive, this ain't the shit I grew up with that had positive messages, afrocentricity, party joints, with a bit of hood sprinkled in. Nah, the greater focus on the shit nowadays is death, killing, crossing your peoples, doing all kinda drugs to where you're out your mind, and shit like that. Even still, without social media to push it, there's still an impact, just not as great of one.

The two go hand in hand, current rap music and social media. Combined they're a destructive force in our community.

I think the votes is so schewed because black folk want to ignore the elephant in the role 💯
Even though it's not our fault hiphop is the way it is niggas gonna nig and cape for the other side inadvertently. 🤦🏿

But that's why I don't like the thread question cause it's pitting 2 different things plaguing our community against eachother for the sake of lifting hiphop up in this conversation cause it hasn't stood up well in others.

Even though it's not our fault hiphop is the way it is niggas gonna nig and cape for the other side inadvertently. 🤦🏿

But that's why I don't like the thread question cause it's pitting 2 different things plaguing our community against eachother for the sake of lifting hiphop up in this conversation cause it hasn't stood up well in others.
I see what you getting at, but it is OUR FAULT bro at the end of the damn day. I think I see how you trying to come with it though, so I'll play along.

How long has it been known of the corruption, manipulation and negative ulterior motives within the industry? How much resources done passed through black people's hands as a collective to circumvent these issues and take control of the music/culture, and what has changed? Its black people by in large committing the acts as the final product period. Ain't no way around this shit but off the side of a cliff 💯.

I see what you getting at, but it is OUR FAULT bro at the end of the damn day. I think I see how you trying to come with it though, so I'll play along.

How long has it been known of the corruption, manipulation and negative ulterior motives within the industry? How much resources done passed through black people's hands as a collective to circumvent these issues and take control of the music/culture, and what has changed? Its black people by in large committing the acts as the final product period. Ain't no way around this shit but off the side of a cliff 💯.

so you mad at Motown too? Your last paragraph basically covers any Black dominated genre of music.

We can go back and forth about who's to blame all day but that's not really the point.

Back