Welcome To aBlackWeb

When did CDs stop selling?

5 Grand

Old School Godfather
I was flipping through the Game/Drillmatic thread.

Circa 2000 if you sold 100k your first week, that was considered average for a major label release.

Eminem and Usher both sold 1 million units in their first week with MMLP and Confessions. 50 Cent sold 950,000 with The Massacre, but it wasn't a million.

When is the last time anybody sold a million copies retail, not streaming...in the first week?

And when is the last time someone streamed a million units, and how is that calculated?

Closing Beat Street Record store in Downtown Brooklyn.

Closing Virgin Megastores in Union & Times Square.

Closing Tower Records

Closing Burkina

Closing Fat Beats Record store

Closing J&R Music World

I was mad as hell everytime I heard some store was closing.

man

I remember I went there to buy Rittz 1st album bout 10yrs ago

hadn't been in there in a while but the last time I was, the cd section had bout 4-5 aisles

but now they had every genre on 1 fuckin rack!!

& it was at that moment I realized I had become a dinosaur

:cry:

lol yep.

Shit. I even remember goin to da mall. And hitting up sam goody for cds...

samgoodystore.jpg

I remember burning my first cd on a eMachine PC. When we got DSL, it was a wrap. I think The Black Album was the last cd I bought.

I think it was more of a gradual thing then, rather than they suddenly stopped selling...

Napster and Limewire etc had an effect then bootlegging too but to start with downloading was more just people getting the odd song and few pirate albums to start with...

Fans still went out bought CD albums from big stars such as 50, Em, Jay, Kanye, Lupe, Luda and Game etc and some indi artists did well too but sells did slow down as fans found more ways to listen to their music... Then soon as the industry finally adapted and introduced streaming and legal ways to download and support it really fckd CD sells up..

Personally I miss the old days of CDs being the main way to listen to music and it pisses me off some artists dont even bother dropping a project on CD these days or its mad limited and you miss out whilst some bot buys it to flip at a profit...

I think it was more of a gradual thing then, rather than they suddenly stopped selling...

Napster and Limewire etc had an effect then bootlegging too but to start with downloading was more just people getting the odd song and few pirate albums to start with...

Fans still went out bought CD albums from big stars such as 50, Em, Jay, Kanye, Lupe, Luda and Game etc and some indi artists did well too but sells did slow down as fans found more ways to listen to their music... Then soon as the industry finally adapted and introduced streaming and legal ways to download and support it really fckd CD sells up..

Personally I miss the old days of CDs being the main way to listen to music and it pisses me off some artists dont even bother dropping a project on CD these days or its mad limited and you miss out whilst some bot buys it to flip at a profit...

The last time i remember cds actually selling...

Was when 50 tried to make that 50 cent vs kanye beef, to see who could sell da most cds. That was over 10 years ago

I remember when they stopped sellin CDs in bestbuy

Probably the #1 reason I would go to Best Buy. Especially wit new releases.

Bought DMX's 2nd album at BB...and I didn't even know that muthafucca had dropped it. I was looking at something else, and just happened to turn around.

Saw that muthafucca in all blood and my 1st reaction was "Da fucc??" Then I realized it was a new album and my 2nd reaction was "Oh shyt!" Bought it that day.

I miss going to Sam Goody...BB...other music stores and just Flippin through the cd's. Be finding some gems.

My big azzz cd book was stolen years ago. But I still got all the cd cases back home in my old room.

Been meaning to just go thru them and dl a lot of the albums I've forgetten about.

Back