Welcome To aBlackWeb

What Are You Cooking for Dinner Tonight??

When grilling with wood, do yall use regular wood or those flavored ones like apple, cherry, ...etc? I usually mix charcoal and like apple wood to get a flame but I dont taste the apple wood flavor. Charcoal is stronger in taste. So I was gonna cook with all wood but it is hard finding some of those flavors in logs. Can only find chunks. And the shit is kind of pricey. I was going to try just cook with all apple chunk wood. Is it worth it?

Reactions: 1/2
When grilling with wood, do yall use regular wood or those flavored ones like apple, cherry, ...etc? I usually mix charcoal and like apple wood to get a flame but I dont taste the apple wood flavor. Charcoal is stronger in taste. So I was gonna cook with all wood but it is hard finding some of those flavors in logs. Can only find chunks. And the shit is kind of pricey. I was going to try just cook with all apple chunk wood. Is it worth it?

yes...."Smoking" with wood is worth it.....if you're trying to actually grill with it you're not going to catch much flavor...shits gotta be closed off and smoked slow

besides, apple wood is light.....any time I want apple or cherry flavors I still use a few hickory logs and put use a whole bag of whatever flavor chunks (not all at once but you see where im going)

and yeah, you're not going to find logs in many places....and def not apple, cherry, maple, etc....probably just hickory and oak (which is what almost all bbq joints use)

also different woods go with different shit.....you wont taste apple on beef at all but its perfect for pork, you just need a lot of it

what kinda cooker are you using and what are you cooking up?

yes...."Smoking" with wood is worth it.....if you're trying to actually grill with it you're not going to catch much flavor...shits gotta be closed off and smoked slow

besides, apple wood is light.....any time I want apple or cherry flavors I still use a few hickory logs and put use a whole bag of whatever flavor chunks (not all at once but you see where im going)

and yeah, you're not going to find logs in many places....and def not apple, cherry, maple, etc....probably just hickory and oak (which is what almost all bbq joints use)

also different woods go with different shit.....you wont taste apple on beef at all but its perfect for pork, you just need a lot of it

what kinda cooker are you using and what are you cooking up?
I got this. Im not cooking anything at the moment. Was curious on what to do the next time I grill 20201102_094930_HDR.jpg

Go to a place that cut tree's down usually they'll have different types of wood for sale. 1/2 pretty much said what I would've said. But if you tasting charcoal you might need to let the coals ash over before putting your meat out there. Or let your lighter fluid burn off. And you'll need a good bit of wood to just use that as a sole burner

Go to a place that cut tree's down usually they'll have different types of wood for sale. 1/2 pretty much said what I would've said. But if you tasting charcoal you might need to let the coals ash over before putting your meat out there. Or let your lighter fluid burn off. And you'll need a good bit of wood to just use that as a sole burner
By charcoal flavor, im not saying it taste like raw charcoal. I do let the coals ash over as well. I will look into places that cut down trees. I want to cook with all wood at least once. Since wood burns faster and i would need a lot of it, I probably wouldnt smoke anything that takes hours.

I was so unprepared, lol. That shit got dumb hot. Made so many rookie mistakes. The jerk was closer to the fire box, so it charred way to early. It is only a little over cooked but it was still good. The bbq came out great. Made my own dry rub. Then uses some bbq that I bought from this local restaurant.
20210320_165432_HDR.jpg 20210320_170809_HDR.jpg 20210320_182351.jpg

I was so unprepared, lol. That shit got dumb hot. Made so many rookie mistakes. The jerk was closer to the fire box, so it charred way to early. It is only a little over cooked but it was still good. The bbq came out great. Made my own dry rub. Then uses some bbq that I bought from this local restaurant.
View attachment 490197View attachment 490198View attachment 490199
Forgot to mention that lol from right to left hot,med and warm. Shit looks good though. Never minded the little char though

Didnt realize how hot the fire gets with wood. Funny, I camp every year and we always cook with wood. I guess the difference is we use pots and pans to cook and are using a fire pit. Less management. But cooking on a grill with a fire box, fire management is crucial. I had my temp prob on but turned off the alerts like a dumb ass. It would have told me if it was too high. Shit almost hit 500 degrees and I had walked away to clean. I need better tools as well. Lucky my fire box was big enough to fit some of those logs. I had bought a hatchet and mallet. That shit was tiring, lol. Had a saw but that was worse. Guess I should have cut the wood before starting. Still could not really taste the hickory from the wood. So I may go back to doing charcoal and wood mix. Wood does use less fuel though when using bigger logs.

Forgot to mention that lol from right to left hot,med and warm. Shit looks good though. Never minded the little char though
Naw, I like char as well. I just do it when the food is almost done. It charred like the first 12 min. It was cooking way to fast. I moved the grills further away from the heat when it was time to flip it.

Didnt realize how hot the fire gets with wood. Funny, I camp every year and we always cook with wood. I guess the difference is we use pots and pans to cook and are using a fire pit. Less management. But cooking on a grill with a fire box, fire management is crucial. I had my temp prob on but turned off the alerts like a dumb ass. It would have told me if it was too high. Shit almost hit 500 degrees and I had walked away to clean. I need better tools as well. Lucky my fire box was big enough to fit some of those logs. I had bought a hatchet and mallet. That shit was tiring, lol. Had a saw but that was worse. Guess I should have cut the wood before starting. Still could not really taste the hickory from the wood. So I may go back to doing charcoal and wood mix. Wood does use less fuel though when using bigger logs.
Where you bought it from they didn't have chunks of wood? And you'll have to let it really smoke to get that flavor and maybe use some hickory flavor/ season

Man I been wanting some jerk for a minute

Gonna gonna go with Rasta Pasta

Made some egge Benedict for the first time. Smoked salmon. Had some hawaiian bread that I toasted in butter , garlic and onion powder. 20210327_101637.jpg

Back