Welcome To aBlackWeb

what actually counts as cheating? a therapist, a lawyer and a sex worker explain...

Race Jones

gangster. grace. alchemy
clear statistics about infidelity are hard to find: because no one knows quite what it means? What "cheating" means for one couple, or one member of a couple, could be completely normal behavior to another? Does cheating always mean penetrative sex?

We asked some people who think about these issues both professionally and personally, "What does cheating on someone even mean?"

Tanseem, Family Lawyer:
Legally, adultery is defined as "sexual contact". If you wanted a divorce on the grounds of adultery, that would simply be, "My spouse has had a physical relationship with another person." But of course, that definition may vary from couple to couple. It's down to their own perception of the contract between them and what constitutes a betrayal. If people say, "This goes beyond what I agreed or what I wanted" a judge would almost never interfere with that.

Emma, Sex Worker:
It's fairly simple, in a way – if you're having any sort of sex with someone who isn't your partner that they don't know about.

If I had to guess, I'd say my clients are split 50/50 attached or single. Sometimes it's obvious – if they have a wedding ring on, or feel they have to justify themselves, saying things like, "I've been married for 30 years and my wife doesn't want sex any more."

Often they have a wife who isn't understanding about a fantasy or fetish, or she might be ill. And I can have some sympathy with that. If my partner was into something that I didn't want to do, I'd say go off and pay for it – let me recommend someone for you.

Dr Elinor Mason, Moral Philosopher, Edinburgh University:

Obviously a philosopher would start by trying to define infidelity – different relationships will have different agreements. It would be nice if we could come up with a consistent definition of infidelity across different boundaries. Perhaps something like: any activity or relationship that detracts from the main relationship. That doesn't even mention sexual contact. It's conceivable that certain types of really intense friendship could be infidelity – if you are giving part of yourself away that you have actually promised to your partner.

Catriona May, Relationship Therapist:
When people talk about cheating it means something is being transgressed. It's an agreement between a couple, and that agreement is broken. In my work, for most couples it's an actual sexual affair, but sometimes people are concerned about a very intimate friendship. That can be just as destructive.

It's a question of communication expectations. I often have to put the question to couples" "What does monogamy mean to you?" And the answers will often be very different.

Leah, (Former) Open Relationship Enthusiast:
Infidelity to me has always been about a violation of trust. The most important thing in any relationship is trust – the breakdown of trust is infidelity. You can be in an open relationship and have as many partners as you want, but the moment you lie to your partner or partners – in my eyes that's when infidelity happens

There's an element of breach of expectations as well. If you get married and say you're going to be faithful in church in front of everyone's friends and family, then you break that, someone's going to be pissed off. But if you've set expectations of freedom then one person doesn't feel shortchanged. We tried to create an expectation which prepared us for when events happened, that we had to deal with our own emotions first – not just fire back at the other person

1491162923978-cheat1.jpeg

MUCH BETTER RACE!!!

now im bout to read

hmmm...i think the biggest perception is that cheating involves a physical act

but i think the therapist had the best definition

hmmm...i think the biggest perception is that cheating involves a physical act

but i think the therapist had the best definition

I agree, I think Im going to start asking my potential partners: what does monogamy look like to you?

I believe I agree more with the relationship therapist and the open relationship therapist. Cheating to me starts when a bond is starting to be forged emotionally and mentally. When you start sharing ideas with someone outside your partner with communication between you two decreases it's over. More distance is created to the point you don't even want to be around eachother due to negative energy now.

Infidelity to me has always been about a violation of trust. The most important thing in any relationship is trust – the breakdown of trust is infidelity. You can be in an open relationship and have as many partners as you want, but the moment you lie to your partner or partners – in my eyes that's when infidelity happens
I agree with this. The "only sex is infidelity" camp is simplistic as fuck.

cheating on me may result in a greeting from the grim reaper. it's in a niggas interest to watch himself.

I used to think cheating was just physical i thought emotional cheating was just some bullshit. But now that im older i go with physical being the worst and then emotional. Telling a third party about yall issues happens. But sharing stuff with the third party that you dont share with your s/o is terrible.

When we date she better delete every man's contact number out of her phone. Best start calling her father by his first name too, cuz she aint allowed to call anybody daddy cept me.

I used to think cheating was just physical i thought emotional cheating was just some bullshit. But now that im older i go with physical being the worst and then emotional. Telling a third party about yall issues happens. But sharing stuff with the third party that you dont share with your s/o is terrible.

what happens if you share the stuff with your mate, then share it with the third party to get a unbiased perspective?

sometimes people are too wrapped up in their own shit to see their obvious conflicts in an issue with a s/o. Ya'll going in circles about the shit aint helping either

emotional is 10x worse than physical imo.

what happens if you share the stuff with your mate, then share it with the third party to get a unbiased perspective?

sometimes people are too wrapped up in their own shit to see their obvious conflicts in an issue with a s/o. Ya'll going in circles about the shit aint helping either

that can be a recipe for disaster.

a listening ear one day and a quick nut the next.

that can be a recipe for disaster.

a listening ear one day and a quick nut the next.
what if their listening ear is a really old person whos a maternal figure @ work or summin?

I only see an issue with it if the person they're leaning on is someone they'd be up to entertain romantically/sexually if they were single.

Unbiased third party wont exist imo. I feel like that party could be plotting

There is different beliefs for everyone.

If you are open to having multiple partners then it's not cheating because
you and ya partner are under the same understanding.

But but at the moment you start doing sum (texting, calls, secret meetings) that you cannot share with ya s/o
that's the moment you start cheating.

Cheating doesn't have to include sex but the definite definition to cheating is sex but it's really more complicated than that...

what if their listening ear is a really old person whos a maternal figure @ work or summin?

I only see an issue with it if the person they're leaning on is someone they'd be up to entertain romantically/sexually if they were single.

true.

but it hardly works out this way.

I was just talking about this with my girlfriend.
Black men dont have alot of older male mentors that they can reach out to.
like lets say there dad is gone (or never around) who can they reach out to for guidance outside of their male counterparts?
its very hard to find.

our communities have changed drastically.
some men dont have older men they can confide in or look up to

Back