Welcome To aBlackWeb

Wealth Gap, Family Business, Is the Child Responsible 2 Continue The Business

so you are ok...with working your way up the ladder and eventually managing a business? or are you ok just getting promoted?

i thought most people want to get promoted to earn more.

so if thats the case...you work hard to get to a place....ceo or whatever...

but would that not be the same as owning your own business...without having to educate someone on why you deserve the $10/hr raise?
Like i said me personally, i'd prefer to have my own successful business.

But a lot of ppl are out here living comfortably without being a ceo all their lives.

Some people hit a certain pay grade n dont feel the need to climb any higher. Doesnt mean theyre any less happier than u.

I hear you but to me you're speaking on a moral stance vs a reality stance.

Being a teacher in the U.S. is nothing little kids dream of doing. I've never met a kid that at the age of 8 said that they wanted to be a teacher. It's a rare dream that a kid wants to have, to become a teacher.

How many male Chinese, Arab, male teachers you know? Actually went to school, got a BS and became a elementary or middle school teacher in 2018? That this was their goal, and not their fall back plan until something else opened up? Cuz this is what most of what black ppl do. Become teachers as a fall back plan, or they just settle of becoming a teacher.

Speaking reality again, being a teacher, yields in the state of LA, 40k-44k (if that) a year. So you're telling me a kid is dreaming of becoming a teacher, going to college just to become a teacher or is this a fall back plan for most? How many male black teachers do we really have if this is the so call dreams these kids are having? Again, I'm speaking reality not from a morally stance.

There's nothing special about working an occupation that isn't paying. Teachers right now complain every year about the pay, so what child is dreaming of becoming a teacher when most don't even like their teachers Lol.

Again, we are the only ppl that's on that let a child choose their path type tip instead of directing that child into something that's gonna to be beneficial for their future.

If the family business has been setup for them and it's a plug and play situation, where is this whole (stress factor) coming into play.

Again, there are a few occupation that will pay a black man or woman a substantial salary, most of us are living under the poverty line or near it. Few are in the top class income bracket, so again, I ask, What are these (dream) occupation that our kids are chasing?

Black kids are getting master degrees and they are not mastering anything, niggas are working in call centers and at Lowes, Wal Mart, US Postal, etc. being P.E. teachers, teacher aids, so these are the dreams that our children are chasing? to be teacher aids?

Instead of inheriting a family own business that's generating residual income, Ima go chase this dream of mines to get a Master degree, get my MBA and don't have job, or get that job working at AT&T call center?

There is a major disconnection we have

You don't see too many yangs working at Wal Mart and being mail carriers. I wonder why?

When the last time, your mail carrier was a Chinese

How many people do you know who are actually doing their dream they had from age 8? You ask most little kids what they wanna be when they grow up and you get generic ass answers like "Doctor, lawyer, police man" etc. Dreams change over the years as you grow. When I was 8 I wanted to be a lawyer. That changed when I got to college, got an internship with a property management company and discovered something else I'm good at. Most people I know who are teachers, especially the black males, came upon that career path as they were furthering their own education and realized they want to do their part by becoming teachers. Especially the black men who the 3 I know who are teachers all became such because of such a lack of black men in the teaching profession and knowing the impact that is proven to have on young black boys.

Also, not every non black family owned business is getting passed down to the kids either. Alot of those parents run that business for the sole purpose of being able to put their kids through school to be able to do better than them as you are supposed to with the next generation. Whether that be going on to start their own business or working somewhere, the ultimate goal is for your kids to do better than you and if that comes by way of them doing their own thing then that isn't a slight to the parents at all. Again, your kid isn't your clone they are their own person and what you do for a living may simply have no interest at all to them.

I agree with you on this.

The child is their own person, but again, you are the parent and to me, some things you should steer your child towards for their own good. If you have a successful business and it has been taking care of you and the family, yall eating off the benefits, why not have that same setup for your child or children.

A lot of things children may not want to do, oh well, that's life. I don't wanna do a lot of things either, but me not wanting to do those things but me knowing those things will take care me are two different mind-sets that I have.

Children don't like eating veggies, so that mean you don't make them eat veggies? Even though they are good for your body and you're suppose to eat them?

At some point your child becomes an adult who must make their own decisions about what they want for their lives and that has nothing to do with you as a parent.

Also I saw this mentioned earlier but no way in hell would an 18 year old fresh out of HS be ready mentally to handle running a successful business bringing in 6 figures or more. That is something that takes time and experience to learn to manage so ain't no 18 year old being handed the full reigns of a company at that point

To put this in somewhat a reality sense:

You have a bakery, been passed down to you by your parents, you've worked in it as a youngin, now you own it.

You have a daughter (12) and a son (15)

Who is more likely to continue/inherit the business? what tactics are you using to keep the business in house within the family?

I'm just guessing, but I don't know too many dudes trying to own a bakery, most wanna rap, or play basketball.

What's the structure/plan to get one of your kids to inherit this bakery business?

Explain to them how important the bakery has been in maintaining the lifestyle that they've grown accustomed to.

Must read study, copy and pasting wont do the graphics justice.

Black boys raised in America, even in the wealthiest families and living in some of the most well-to-do neighborhoods, still earn less in adulthood than white boys with similar backgrounds, according to a sweeping new study that traced the lives of millions of children.

White boys who grow up rich are likely to remain that way. Black boys raised at the top, however, are more likely to become poor than to stay wealthy in their own adult households.

Most white boys raised in wealthy families will stay rich or upper middle class as adults, but black boys raised in similarly rich households will not.

Even when children grow up next to each other with parents who earn similar incomes, black boys fare worse than white boys in 99 percent of America. And the gaps only worsen in the kind of neighborhoods that promise low poverty and good schools.

According to the study, led by researchers at Stanford, Harvard and the Census Bureau, income inequality between blacks and whites is driven entirely by what is happening among these boys and the men they become. Black and white girls from families with comparable earnings attain similar individual incomes as adults.

“You would have thought at some point you escape the poverty trap,” said Nathaniel Hendren, a Harvard economist and an author of the study.

Black boys — even rich black boys — can seemingly never assume that.

The study, based on anonymous earnings and demographic data for virtually all Americans now in their late 30s, debunks a number of other widely held hypotheses about income inequality. Gaps persisted even when black and white boys grew up in families with the same income, similar family structures, similar education levels and even similar levels of accumulated wealth.

The disparities that remain also can’t be explained by differences in cognitive ability, an argument made by people who cite racial gaps in test scores that appear for both black boys and girls. If such inherent differences existed by race, “you’ve got to explain to me why these putative ability differences aren’t handicapping women,” said David Grusky, a Stanford sociologist who has reviewed the research.

A more likely possibility, the authors suggest, is that test scores don’t accurately measure the abilities of black children in the first place.

If this inequality can’t be explained by individual or household traits, much of what matters probably lies outside the home — in surrounding neighborhoods, in the economy and in a society that views black boys differently from white boys, and even from black girls.

“One of the most popular liberal post-racial ideas is the idea that the fundamental problem is class and not race, and clearly this study explodes that idea,” said Ibram Kendi, a professor and director of the Antiracist Research and Policy Center at American University. “But for whatever reason, we’re unwilling to stare racism in the face.”

The authors, including the Stanford economist Raj Chetty and two census researchers, Maggie R. Jones and Sonya R. Porter, tried to identify neighborhoods where poor black boys do well, and as well as whites.

“The problem,” Mr. Chetty said, “is that there are essentially no such neighborhoods in America.”

The few neighborhoods that met this standard were in areas that showed less discrimination in surveys and tests of racial bias. They mostly had low poverty rates. And, intriguingly, these pockets — including parts of the Maryland suburbs of Washington, and corners of Queens and the Bronx — were the places where many lower-income black children had fathers at home. Poor black boys did well in such places, whether their own fathers were present or not.

“That is a pathbreaking finding,” said William Julius Wilson, a Harvard sociologist whose books have chronicled the economic struggles of black men. “They’re not talking about the direct effects of a boy’s own parents’ marital status. They’re talking about the presence of fathers in a given census tract.”

Other fathers in the community can provide boys with role models and mentors, researchers say, and their presence may indicate other neighborhood factors that benefit families, like lower incarceration rates and better job opportunities.

The research makes clear that there is something unique about the obstacles black males face. The gap between Hispanics and whites is narrower, and their incomes will converge within a couple of generations if mobility stays the same. Asian-Americans earn more than whites raised at the same income level, or about the same when first-generation immigrants are excluded. Only Native Americans have an income gap comparable to African-Americans. But the disparities are widest for black boys.

Sons of Rich Black Families Fare No Better Than Sons of Working-Class Whites

Link to article?

Must read study, copy and pasting wont do the graphics justice.

Black boys raised in America, even in the wealthiest families and living in some of the most well-to-do neighborhoods, still earn less in adulthood than white boys with similar backgrounds, according to a sweeping new study that traced the lives of millions of children.

White boys who grow up rich are likely to remain that way. Black boys raised at the top, however, are more likely to become poor than to stay wealthy in their own adult households.

Most white boys raised in wealthy families will stay rich or upper middle class as adults, but black boys raised in similarly rich households will not.

Even when children grow up next to each other with parents who earn similar incomes, black boys fare worse than white boys in 99 percent of America. And the gaps only worsen in the kind of neighborhoods that promise low poverty and good schools.

According to the study, led by researchers at Stanford, Harvard and the Census Bureau, income inequality between blacks and whites is driven entirely by what is happening among these boys and the men they become. Black and white girls from families with comparable earnings attain similar individual incomes as adults.

“You would have thought at some point you escape the poverty trap,” said Nathaniel Hendren, a Harvard economist and an author of the study.

Black boys — even rich black boys — can seemingly never assume that.

The study, based on anonymous earnings and demographic data for virtually all Americans now in their late 30s, debunks a number of other widely held hypotheses about income inequality. Gaps persisted even when black and white boys grew up in families with the same income, similar family structures, similar education levels and even similar levels of accumulated wealth.

The disparities that remain also can’t be explained by differences in cognitive ability, an argument made by people who cite racial gaps in test scores that appear for both black boys and girls. If such inherent differences existed by race, “you’ve got to explain to me why these putative ability differences aren’t handicapping women,” said David Grusky, a Stanford sociologist who has reviewed the research.

A more likely possibility, the authors suggest, is that test scores don’t accurately measure the abilities of black children in the first place.

If this inequality can’t be explained by individual or household traits, much of what matters probably lies outside the home — in surrounding neighborhoods, in the economy and in a society that views black boys differently from white boys, and even from black girls.

“One of the most popular liberal post-racial ideas is the idea that the fundamental problem is class and not race, and clearly this study explodes that idea,” said Ibram Kendi, a professor and director of the Antiracist Research and Policy Center at American University. “But for whatever reason, we’re unwilling to stare racism in the face.”

The authors, including the Stanford economist Raj Chetty and two census researchers, Maggie R. Jones and Sonya R. Porter, tried to identify neighborhoods where poor black boys do well, and as well as whites.

“The problem,” Mr. Chetty said, “is that there are essentially no such neighborhoods in America.”

The few neighborhoods that met this standard were in areas that showed less discrimination in surveys and tests of racial bias. They mostly had low poverty rates. And, intriguingly, these pockets — including parts of the Maryland suburbs of Washington, and corners of Queens and the Bronx — were the places where many lower-income black children had fathers at home. Poor black boys did well in such places, whether their own fathers were present or not.

“That is a pathbreaking finding,” said William Julius Wilson, a Harvard sociologist whose books have chronicled the economic struggles of black men. “They’re not talking about the direct effects of a boy’s own parents’ marital status. They’re talking about the presence of fathers in a given census tract.”

Other fathers in the community can provide boys with role models and mentors, researchers say, and their presence may indicate other neighborhood factors that benefit families, like lower incarceration rates and better job opportunities.

The research makes clear that there is something unique about the obstacles black males face. The gap between Hispanics and whites is narrower, and their incomes will converge within a couple of generations if mobility stays the same. Asian-Americans earn more than whites raised at the same income level, or about the same when first-generation immigrants are excluded. Only Native Americans have an income gap comparable to African-Americans. But the disparities are widest for black boys.

Sons of Rich Black Families Fare No Better Than Sons of Working-Class Whites
Where is this from? I have to heck the legitimacy of the sources before I can take this seriously.

Back