Welcome To aBlackWeb

Video:Sacramento Pigs Shot Unarmed Black Man in His Yard 20 Times. Update:The DA won’t file charges

http://fox40.com/2018/04/05/he-was-...tephon-clarks-neighbor-who-called-911-speaks/

‘He was a Nice Guy, He Didn’t Deserve That’: Stephon Clark’s Neighbor Who Called 911 Speaks

SACRAMENTO -- The man who called 911 about someone breaking into his truck the night Stephon Clark was killed is expressing regret.

"If I had known it was him across the street, I probably wouldn't have called 911," Dave Reiling said. "I would have just met him at his house, you know?"

Reiling's call to 911 began the series of events that led to Clark being shot to death by two Sacramento police officers.

He says on March 18, he saw someone break a window on his Ford Explorer. Reiling said it was dark and wasn't sure who was there, but says in the daylight he would have recognized Clark.

"I never really knew him knew him. But I knew of him. He was a nice guy, he didn't deserve that, even if he was breaking my windows out," Reiling told FOX40.

Now, Reiling stands behind Clark's family and thinks the national attention is actually a good thing.

"It needs to be national, it needs to be worldwide," he said. "That way, people know what's going on and put a stop to this police brutality and shootings for no reason."

Both of Reiling's trucks, which he says are his livelihood, are in police custody as evidence.

But as the story that started just outside his doorstep continues to highlight race relations nationwide, Reiling says he wants to remain out of the way and support a family in mourning.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article208190779.html

Another Sacramento councilman criticizes police shooting of Stephon Clark

A second Sacramento City Council member is criticizing the actions of the police officers who shot and killed Stephon Clark last month and said he assumes they will face disciplinary action.

In a meeting with The Sacramento Bee editorial board on Friday, Councilman Jay Schenirer said Clark "should not be dead" and that "we need to hold ourselves accountable, we need to hold the Police Department accountable."

"We've got to figure out what went wrong so we can make sure this doesn’t happen again," he said. "If officers need to be disciplined, that will all happen. I assume that will happen."

Asked why the officers would be disciplined, Schenirer said that was his opinion after watching video footage of the shooting.

"(The officers') reactions were, I think, too quick," he said.

At an emotional City Council meeting on Tuesday, Councilman Larry Carr said the shooting of Clark "just doesn't look right." He told The Bee the next day that several aspects of the shooting troubled him, including the fact that officers fired 20 shots at Clark and waited several minutes to provide him with medical aid.

Carr represents Meadowview, where Clark was shot and killed March 18 by officers who were responding to a report of a car burglar.

Schenirer, who represents Oak Park, Curtis Park, Hollywood Park and other south Sacramento communities, said the Police Department's training may be to blame for the shooting.

"It's systemic," he said. "It may be (the officers), it may not be them. We have to make systemic changes in what we're doing."

He said he has also been "very dissatisfied" with how the past two City Council meetings have been conducted.

"I don't think it should be at City Hall, I don’t think it should be two minutes per person (to address the council in public testimony)," he said. "I've argued from day one we should be out at the Pannell Center (in Meadowview), we should be out in the community, we should be at the same level as everyone and none of this power stuff because we're sitting up on top of everybody (on an elevated dais at the council chambers)."

He said security issues have prevented meetings from being moved.

Schenirer's primary opponent in the June 5 election, Oak Park neighborhood activist and early childhood education teacher Tamika L'Ecluse, told the Bee's editorial board she is "highly disappointed" in the conduct of the officers who shot Clark.

"There are still investigations that must happen and I definitely want to respect the process, but I think that our response was not appropriate to this person, especially given the entry points of those bullets," she said. "We cannot deny it, that there was excessive force."

A private autopsy showed Clark was hit by eight bullets, including six in his back.

"I think that it was a really unfortunate event," L'Ecluse said. "I'm disappointed in those officers' conduct. I want to see them be responsible for their actions."

"I'm disappointed because you could tell there was fear (on the part of the officers), just from the video, from the language, from the communications, there was a lack of training," she added.

A third candidate in the race, disability rights activist Joseph Barry, said he "understands police have a very hard job to do." But he said the officers who shot Clark should be fired.

http://www.capradio.org/articles/20...mento-on-anniversary-of-mlk-jr-assassination/

Black Lives Matter Sacramento Says It Will Protest Stephon Clark Shooting Three Days A Week — Indefinitely — Until They 'Get Justice'

The local Black Lives Matter chapter says it will continue to hold Stephon Clark demonstrations outside the district attorney's office indefinitely.

“We’re going to be here every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday until we get justice,” founder Tanya Faison said on Wednesday after several hours of marching through the streets of downtown.

Black Lives Matter says it will show up at the DA’s headquarters on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 3:30 to 5 p.m. — and might stay later.

They want the two officers who shot Clark to be fired and indicted.

The DA's office has not released details about the investigation, other than to say the timeline for a report could be six to 12 months.

During previous weekday marches, people brought signs bearing Clark's name. But on Wednesday, the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr's death, other victims of police violence were represented, as well.

Allisha Crockett is a Sacramento native and says she's seeing lots of new faces in the crowd and that this movement is becoming more of a regular community event.

"You are seeing, in my opinion, a lot of um … folks out here that just want to be seen. But this is a good thing. It's never a bad time for new folks to get involved in what's old business,” she said.

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article208358729.html

'I needed to be away from the fake love.' Stephon Clark's brother seeks mental health help

The brother of Stephon Clark Monday said he received in-patient mental health treatment last week after police responded to a disturbance call about his behavior at a local hotel, highlighting what he and community activists say is a need for crisis services in the wake of police shootings.

Stevante Clark, the older brother of Stephon Clark, said he was taken to University of California Davis Medical Center April 1 after police responded to a 911 call in north Sacramento regarding a disturbance about 9 a.m. that morning. Clark said he subsequently spent about two days as an inpatient in a nearby mental health facility.

"It was great. I needed it," said Clark. "They didn't make me go there. I asked the officers to take me to the hospital."

Clark told The Bee that he has struggled with his mental health since two Sacramento police officers shot and killed his brother on March 18. He said the intense attention from media and community has been difficult to cope with, and made it hard to maintain focus on his brother's life and legacy.

"I needed to be away from the fake love," Clark said. "The hospital helped me because they understand I am normal. ... I am not a celebrity. Now I'm scared."

Stephon Clark was shot and killed in his grandmother's backyard. Clark was holding a cell phone, which officers apparently mistook for a gun.

Police had originally been responding to a 911 call about a man breaking car windows in the Meadowview neighborhood when a Sacramento County Sheriff's Department helicopter assisting on the call located Clark in a backyard and directed officers to him. Police subsequently said they believe Clark was the subject of the 911 call, but have not yet finished their investigation.

The incident has drawn intense media coverage, led to weeks of protests and re-ignited discussions about race in American policing. Protestors shut down Interstate 5 one evening. On another night, Stevante Clark and supporters seized the focus of a city council meeting.

Stevante Clark was admitted to the hospital last Sunday after someone called police about a disturbance at The Greens Hotel on Del Paso Boulevard. Clark said he had caused damage at the hotel, where his family was staying to avoid scrutiny. The Greens is a boutique motel that was purchased and renovated about nine months ago, according to front desk staff.

Sacramento Police Department spokesman Eddie Macaulay confirmed officers transported Clark to UC Davis for mental health reasons after encountering him that morning when they responded to a disturbance call.

Under California Welfare and Institutions Code section 5150, law enforcement personnel and some other mental health providers can place a person under a 72-hour involuntary hold if the subject is deemed a danger to himself or others. It is not clear if police or hospital staff requested Clark be admitted, but Clark said he was placed on an involuntary hold.

Macaulay said Clark was cooperative with officers. He could not immediately say who made the 911 call.

Many African American community members said they have seen multiple people in recent days asking for mental health help after the Clark shooting. Some said that after other police shootings, such as that of Joseph Mann in 2016, they noticed similar mental health impacts for the families and community involved.

"The mental health and the PTSD and that other stuff is real," said Richard Owens, a members of the Law Enforcement Accountability Directive, which has worked for police reforms in Sacramento. "It just hits you in the gut."

On Saturday, a local pastor invited people who have "been feeling trauma" as a result of the Clark shooting and its aftermath to gather together for mutual support. A psychologist attended the "Safe Black Space" meeting at Unity Church of Sacramento to help participants process their emotions, said pastor Kevin Ross.

A publicly released video showing police shooting and killing Clark has been a source of stress for some people — including Stevante Clark — who have followed news events, Ross said. "To see such a thing in such a graphic way, over and over, is traumatizing," he said.

"There are mothers who are terrified for their black sons," he said. "People who do not trust law enforcement. We had people wailing, expressing their pain. Grown men crying."

Another meeting of the group will be scheduled for next month, Ross said.

Ross called Stevante Clark's recent behavior, including outbursts at public meetings, "a call for help and a call for love."

"He has lost both of his brothers due to some form of gun violence. That is not a normal occurrence for a young person. It would be difficult for anyone to keep it together under the circumstances."

Clark's stepbrother De'Markus McKinnie was accidentally fatally shot in the abdomen in 2006.

"I have seen Stevante on multiple occasions, and he was having a crisis," said Ross, who said he worked as a mental health technician in college. He said his psychiatric hold could benefit him "if it's handled with sensitivity and compassion."

For Clark, the respite has allowed him to regain focus on his "talking points," he said. He praised the staff and other patients at the facility for helping him.

"They treated me nice," he said. "The love I received there was incredible ... It felt so good just to sit there."

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/04/10/stephon-clark-viral-video-fake-money/

Dollar Bills Shown In Viral Video Of Stephon Clark’s Brother Were Fake

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — The brother of a man shot by Sacramento Police says the bills he had in a viral video in a Best Buy were fake.

A video surfaced on WorldStarHipHop.com with the title “Alleged Video Shows Stephon Clark’s Brother Flashing Money That Was Donated To The Family!” The video that appears to be security footage shows Clark at a store holding up a large stack of dollar bills to his ear like it’s a cellphone.

Video and photos from Stevante Clark’s Instagram feed show off images of fake $100 bills with an X-ray image of Benjamin Franklin’s skull superimposed on his face.

Clark showed off one of the bills to CBS13, saying the bills seen in the video were not real and were part of a promotion for a Sacramento clothing company.

The controversy comes a day after Clark spoke to CBS13 about his mental health issues and the need for more resources in underserved communities.

He revealed he received two days of inpatient mental health treatment at UC Davis Medical Center last week after police responded to a disturbance call at the Greens Hotel on Del Paso Boulevard.

“I turned myself into the mental health institution; the police came to check on me, but I kind of forced them,” he said.

Stevante says he and his family were staying at the hotel for a sense of privacy after two weeks of protests. But on the morning of April 1, two weeks to the day of his brother’s death, the pain was too much. He says he lost it, causing damage to the hotel room.

“Something is very wrong up there; I can admit that, but I’m not out here doing crazy, stupid belligerent things. I’m trying to take care of my family,” he said.

I can't rock with stephen clark he disrespect our blk woman. Hopefully those asia come to his aid lol

Pretty much. What happened to him was definitely an injustice, but I can’t rock wit him or his bitch ass baby moms. The same people that they sought to disrespect in life are the same people that are coming to him and his family’s aid.

Now you want me to express sympathy for a racist bitch and her dead, self-hating, idiot nigga? Nah, son. The only people I feel for in this situation are the children. Everyone else can go play in fuckin traffic. Black folks are entirely too forgiving and optimistic for me — especially when faced with so much disregard and callousness.

https://blavity.com/blm-sacramento-...-police-with-a-moving-rest-in-power-billboard

BLM Sacramento Honors Black Men Killed By Police With A Moving 'Rest In Power' Billboard

BLM Sacramento founder, Tanya Faison: "Hopefully people will take the time to look into the stories behind those people."

Sacramento has been brimming with anger, frustration, sadness and ambition following Stephon Clark's death at the hands of police.

Clark is also one of the latest in a long and tragic list of black men succumbed to police brutality. According to FOX Sacramento, the city's Black Lives Matter chapter has decided to honor a few of these men in a grand way by displaying their images and names on a billboard overlooking Sacramento's Broadway.

"We wanted it up in a high traffic area in Sacramento," noted Black Lives Matter Sacramento founder Tanya Faison.

The billboard depicts seven names and their respective faces: Lorenzo, Dazion, Adriene, Ryan, Joseph, Desmond and Mikel.

"It's just letting you see the faces of the people who've been killed by law enforcement, and hopefully people will take the time to look into the stories behind those people," Faison commented on the billboard funded by the California Endowment.

The billboard was inspired in part by a mural painted on the city's Guild Theater last November, which was destroyed shortly after it was unveiled.

Clark's name isn't listed on the billboard, but Black Lives Matter Sacramento says it stands not only for the men depicted, but also for Clark and all black people who suffered the consequences of police brutality.

"Link it to what's happening now," Faison said. "The people are upset. We've been taking the streets, we've been taking the freeways, we've been taking the Golden 1 Center because all of this has been built up all this time until now."

uslrukpxq0swmec0z6dd

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/review-police-shooting-unarmed-black-man-months-54565865

Review of police shooting in Sacramento may take over a year

It may be more than a year before a Northern California prosecutor decides if two police officers broke the law when they fatally shot a black man who was later found to be unarmed, she said Wednesday.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said her office doesn't yet have the Sacramento police report into last month's death of 22-year-old Stephon Clark. She also does not have the official autopsy or toxicology report, though a renowned pathologist hired by Clark's family found that he was shot seven times from behind.

The officers were investigating reports that a man was breaking car windows and a neighbor's glass door when they pursued Clark into his grandparents' backyard after he refused to stop and show his hands. They say he turned and advanced toward them when they opened fire. They later found only a cellphone.

The shooting has led to weeks of protests and near daily calls for Schubert to make a decision as she runs for re-election.

She asked for patience amid what she said is understandable community anger and predicted reforms may result from what she called the "tragedy" of Clark's death and the national outcry over police shootings of young black men.

The state's attorney general also is investigating.

Decisions typically take six months to more than a year, and some nearly two years, she said at a news conference. And that's after her office receives an autopsy report that can take six- to eight months, and a police report that can often take three- to four months, she said.

"It may be frustrating, and I understand that," she said, adding later: "Protesters are not going to stop us from following that process."

California's use of force standard makes it rare for officers to be charged after a shooting and rarer still for them to be convicted. If prosecutors or jurors believe that officers reasonably feared for their safety, they are permitted to use deadlyforce.

Schubert said she welcomes peaceful protests. But she said frequent demonstrations outside her office have become intimidating to employees, witnesses and crime victims attempting to enter the building.

Tanya Faison, a leader for Black Lives Matter-Sacramento, which has organized the protests, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Schubert also defended accepting $13,000 in campaign contributions from two local law enforcement unions days after Clark was killed. She said the state attorney general's office previously said that accepting contributions during such an investigation is not a conflict of interest.

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article209238899.html

Under siege by Stephon Clark protests, Sacramento DA calls for patience

Under fire for her handling of the inquiry into the March 18 shooting death of Stephon Clark, Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert launched a public defense Wednesday, saying her office has not yet received the police investigation of the case and that it could take many months before her own investigation is complete.

“The reality is, is that what happened to Stephon Clark is a tragedy,” Schubert said in a news conference during which she outlined the steps she takes in investigating officer-involved shootings and noted she is not legally required to conduct such reviews.

The shooting of the unarmed 22-year-old black man by two Sacramento police officers has spawned national outrage, particularly over the fact that the gun police thought he was carrying turned out to be a cellphone and that a private autopsy found six of the eight bullets that hit him were fired into his back.

Street protests have continued for weeks in downtown Sacramento, and Schubert’s office at Ninth and G streets has been the target of regular demonstrations by activists asking that she charge the two officers who shot Clark. Schubert’s office has never found evidence that led her to prosecute an officer in a shooting.

Schubert noted her own office’s review of the case has not officially begun because the Sacramento Police Department is doing its own inquiry, which will then be turned over to her investigators to determine whether a crime was committed and if that can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

As part of the police investigation, the two officers who fired 20 rounds at Clark are interviewed by police with representatives of the DA’s office observing, Schubert said, but her office’s review of officer-involved shootings does not routinely include a separate DA’s interview of the police officers.

“They’re conducted by the police department, and we’re present for those interviews,” she said. “I think if there are additional things we would need for purposes of the criminal review we could do that.”

But, she emphasized, the police review and county coroner autopsy results have not been turned over to her investigators.

“The case is not in our office,” she said. “We have not started a review.”

Sacramento police had no estimate Wednesday of when the department's review would be completed and would not say whether the two officers had yet been interviewed.

Despite the fact that the police review is ongoing, Schubert has become the focal point of protesters who want the officers charged. Groups have begun loud vigils outside her building three times a week, some including loud speeches over bullhorns and barbecues prepared on charcoal grills just outside the office front doors.

A march from the office of Attorney General Xavier Becerra, who has launched his own review of the shooting, is set to begin at 9:30 a.m. Thursday at 13th and I streets and proceed to Schubert’s office, where protest organizers say 100,000 signatures from an online petition asking for charges against the police will be delivered.

Schubert said such protests “are not going to stop us from following our process.”

And she complained that in recent days the protesters' actions have evolved into harassment.

“I respect peaceful protests,” she said. “I do respect that.

“I think what's happening in the last week is anything but peaceful. I mean, if you were to see video footage of what’s happening behind our building, where people who are simply trying to leave to go home — whether it’s to pick up their children or wherever they need to go — and their cars are being surrounded and they’re being cussed at or blocked and having their license plates filmed. ... I think that’s not peaceful.”

Tanya Faison of Black Lives Matter Sacramento said Schubert’s claims that the protests are not peaceful is “false.”

"Yeah, we do block parking lots and we do block streets, but we’ve never been violent.”

Faison also said she was not concerned that Schubert’s office would not insist on interviewing the two officers.

“I don’t think that interviewing the officers is significant because they have already shown that they lied,” Faison said. “They turned off their body cams. They muted them, so I don’t trust the word of the police, especially if they’re the ones being accused of murdering someone.”

Black Lives Matter Sacramento leaders have lambasted Schubert and raised questions about police union contributions that flowed into her re-election campaign following the shooting, money that her campaign said had been planned long in advance of Clark’s death.

Schubert, seeking a second term as district attorney, faces a challenge from Sacramento prosecutor Noah Phillips, who said after the news conference that she was late in speaking publicly about the Clark shooting.

”My only comment is it’s 30 days too late, and quite frankly it’s about a year and a half late because she should have had a press conference like this when she made the decision not to file the Joseph Mann case,” Phillips said.

Phillips, who has a mailer out to voters criticizing his boss for the handling of the Mann and Clark cases, said he would reopen the review into the July 2016 police shooting of Mann, a 50-year-old black man killed in North Sacramento after neighbors reported him acting strangely and carrying a knife and gun. No gun was ever found.

Phillips said he wasn’t ready to say whether the Clark shooting should be prosecuted, but added that he does not believe Schubert is willing to take steps against law enforcement officers.

“We haven’t heard all the evidence yet, but I can tell you this: I will hold law enforcement responsible when the facts lead me to that conclusion. My opponent’s shown she is unable to do that.”

Schubert said she did not want to discuss campaign issues in the DA’s office. But she noted that a month before Clark’s death she asked the Attorney General’s Office for an opinion on whether a DA running for re-election has a conflict of interest in reviewing officer-involved shootings if they have received contributions from the police union representing the officer. She also asked whether the AG would take over an officer-involved shooting in such cases, she said.

The answer to both questions was no, she said.

Back