Welcome To aBlackWeb

Thoughts on what Drake said to Budden....

Crazy when you gotta agree with Ebro.

Pump it up came out in 03, 20 years later, a ton of people know the song, it still is played and a lot of people still know the person that put it out, and tune in to hear what they have to say. Sounds like a success to me. To each their own tho.

Drake tracks stop getting played the sec the label stop paying the stations to play that particular record. As for streams that shit is tricky IMO.

Pump it up came out in 03, 20 years later, a ton of people know the song, it still is played and a lot of people still know the person that put it out, and tune in to hear what they have to say. Sounds like a success to me. To each their own tho.

Drake tracks stop getting played the sec the label stop paying the stations to play that particular record. As for streams that shit is tricky IMO.
:hahaha:

1696897978915.gif

Idk. It’s not like it’s because of wisdom that you decided to react and go on the “defensive offense” against Joe behind his honest opinion though. 🧐 🤔

I don’t know why he bothered write all those words taking shots, I wonder what this is really about because it doesn’t seem worth that response. Joe talks trash all the time.

What you just described is a one hit wonder that parlayed that one hit into a profession tangentially related to music. He might not be a failure as a human being, but that's definitely failing at being a musician/artist.

What you just described is a one hit wonder that parlayed that one hit into a profession tangentially related to music. He might not be a failure as a human being, but that's definitely failing at being a musician/artist.
He wasnt a 1 hit wonder tho. Budden was a successful musician. He wasnt doing stadium tours, but he had enough fans to at least go on tour. We need to stop this nonsense that you are a failure if you dont have a top 5 on billboard and can sell out MSG. The sec you can do music full time and use your earnings to pay all your bills, you are a successful musician.

I gotta tip my hat to guys like Budden & 2Chanz for even staying in the game long enough to bounce back. Most of these artists would of quit we would of never heard of them again.

He wasnt a 1 hit wonder tho. Budden was a successful musician. He wasnt doing stadium tours, but he had enough fans to at least go on tour. We need to stop this nonsense that you are a failure if you dont have a top 5 on billboard and can sell out MSG. The sec you can do music full time and use your earnings to pay all your bills, you are a successful musician.

I gotta tip my hat to guys like Budden & 2Chanz for even staying in the game long enough to bounce back. Most of these artists would of quit we would of never heard of them again.

To me, it all comes down to what a person's personal goals are, and that goes for anything.

If all Budden wanted to do was make some money from being a musician and parlay it into a podcast, then you're right, he's not a failure because he accomplished his goal.

However, if he thought he was an elite MC (which at one point he did) and his goal was to be at the top of the game and become a legend, then he failed because he's not that. People know him probably more from being a hater and the chicks he's been with and reality TV than his actual music.

Also, being a 1 hit wonder doesn't mean an artist stopped making music or didn't have a dedicated fanbase. A lot of one hit wonders make multiple albums. It just means that artist only had one song that really rose to the top of the musical landscape at some point. That definitely fits Joe. Pump It Up was his only big time song. I don't know where all this revisionist history where he had several hits came from.

To me, it all comes down to what a person's personal goals are, and that goes for anything.

If all Budden wanted to do was make some money from being a musician and parlay it into a podcast, then you're right, he's not a failure because he accomplished his goal.

However, if he thought he was an elite MC (which at one point he did) and his goal was to be at the top of the game and become a legend, then he failed because he's not that. People know him probably more from being a hater and the chicks he's been with and reality TV than his actual music.

Also, being a 1 hit wonder doesn't mean an artist stopped making music or didn't have a dedicated fanbase. A lot of one hit wonders make multiple albums. It just means that artist only had one song that really rose to the top of the musical landscape at some point. That definitely fits Joe. Pump It Up was his only big time song. I don't know where all this revisionist history where he had several hits came from.
A 1 hit wonder is someone that had a monster #1 hit that was everywhere. A song you couldnt escape, then every other song took a nose dive. Those people either leave the industry on their millions or you only hear their name when the pop up to perform that one song and fade away again.

IMO Pump It Up wasnt big enough to even call him a 1 hit wonder, the song was just his only commercially successful song. At no point did I make it seem like he had several hits. He was just able to have his own indie fan base.

And the other part sounds like you got some personal stuff with Budden, cuz podcasts werent even a thing when he first came out. No artist that puts music out doesnt hope that a bunch of people like it. And finally, being an Elite Lyricist definitely doesnt mean you get commercial success, its usually a dumb catchy song that does that.

If you made music, had fans, made enough money from music to do it full time, you were successful. Cool he found another career that was more successful than his music career, but he still had a successful music career that had ups and downs.

A 1 hit wonder is someone that had a monster #1 hit that was everywhere. A song you couldnt escape, then every other song took a nose dive. Those people either leave the industry on their millions or you only hear their name when the pop up to perform that one song and fade away again.

IMO Pump It Up wasnt big enough to even call him a 1 hit wonder, the song was just his only commercially successful song. At no point did I make it seem like he had several hits. He was just able to have his own indie fan base.

And the other part sounds like you got some personal stuff with Budden, cuz podcasts werent even a thing when he first came out. No artist that puts music out doesnt hope that a bunch of people like it. And finally, being an Elite Lyricist definitely doesnt mean you get commercial success, its usually a dumb catchy song that does that.

If you made music, had fans, made enough money from music to do it full time, you were successful. Cool he found another career that was more successful than his music career, but he still had a successful music career that had ups and downs.
Pump It Up was pretty big.Got continuous radio/video play

Popped up in a few or numerous movies.Fast and Furious and You Got Served for sure

Still gets played in hot spots like South Beach Miami clubs.

Rumor has it that Keith Murray beat somebody up at Def Jam or something jealous about the push Budden was getting.

Pump It Up was pretty big.Got continuous radio/video play

Popped up in a few or numerous movies.Fast and Furious and You Got Served for sure

Still gets played in hot spots like South Beach Miami clubs.

Rumor has it that Keith Murray beat somebody up at Def Jam or something jealous about the push Budden was getting.
I really only remember it back then when they were pushing it in the movies. I only heard it on the radio sometimes. TBH i never even seen the damn video. An i was a kid watching TRL and BET back then, which is crazy to me.

Thats why I said it was a hit, but not a crazy monster hit that 1 hit wonders usually have. That song aint have him on TRL with lil white girls fainting

I really only remember it back then when they were pushing it in the movies. I only heard it on the radio sometimes. TBH i never even seen the damn video. An i was a kid watching TRL and BET back then, which is crazy to me.

Thats why I said it was a hit, but not a crazy monster hit that 1 hit wonders usually have. That song aint have him on TRL with lil white girls fainting
For me at the time,not really knowing who he was on the mixtapes I was like why is this song getting so much play?

Then I started liking it.

Video was dope.It was based on the movie Shocker where a serial killer ends up being able to come through the TV after being electrocuted in the electric chair.

I really didn't tune in to Budden until around Mood Musik 2 ,but I heard his debut but never got into until later.

Before MM I really liked his Nas Last real Nigga Alive freestyle though and was like "Oh this nigga be rappin" .It was on some mixtape.

Bruh, you just made up a bunch of requirements for someone being a 1 hit wonder that that only exist in your head. Most one hit wonders didn't even reach #1 on the charts.

I'm also not sure what you mean when you say I got something personal with Budden because podcasts weren't a thing when he came out. I said he was a musician and he's parlayed that into a podcast. He's doing the podcast now not when he first came out so what are you trying to say?
My ultimate point was that whether he was successful or not depends on his own personal goals. If he was cool with having one big hit and generating a small but loyal fanbase, then he was a success. If he wanted to be widely accepted as one of the greatest rappers of all time then he's a failure.

You can say it was the former, but the fact that this nigga got punched in the face by a Wu affiliate because he felt the need to justify his greatness by randomly calling out a bunch of more beloved rappers than himself and saying that he was better than them suggests that maybe he wasn't happy just being the Pump It Up guy to the majority of Hip Hop fans.

Back