Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://www.mediaite.com/election-2...omens-forum-for-booing-senators-mlk-comments/

Bernie Adviser Nina Turner Blasts Audience From Black Women’s Forum for Booing Senator’s MLK Comments

Bernie Sanders campaign senior adviser and former State Senator Nina Turnerexcoriated the people who booed Sanders for bringing up his civil rights activism, asking a rally crowd, “In what world do people boo that?”

While introducing Sanders at a rally in Fort Worth, Texas Thursday, Turner addressed Sanders’ appearance at Wednesday’s She the People forum on women of color, which did not go well. Sanders was repeatedly booed and jeered by the audience, and Turner was not happy about that.

A fired-up Turner told the crowd that “people want to strip [Sanders] of his history.”

She asked the crowd “In what world when you are sitting on the stage telling folks about your history, and you mention the fact that you were on the March on Washington with Reverend Dr Martin Luther King Jr, Fort Worth, in what world do people boo that?”

“That happened to Senator Sanders yesterday, and I’m calling it out,” Turner said. “In what world? You don’t boo folks for that. And I don’t care if it was somebody who I didn’t care about their policies, if they stood up with the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and other heroes and sheroes, we need to shout that out.”

Turner then went on an extended riff about Sanders’ record, including telling the millennials in the crowd that “when he was around your age, at the University of Chicago, he stood up against housing discrimination in Chicago… and he was chained to a black woman doing it.”

The moment Turner references occurred just after Sanders was jeered for his response to a question about how he plans to appeal to black women.

A member of the audience asked Sanders “What do you believe is the federal government’s role to fight against the rise of white nationalism and white terrorist acts, and how do you plan to lead on that in your first year as president?”

Sanders delivered a lengthy response that wandered from a critique of Trump’s “demagoguery” to policies like immigration reform and Medicare for All, but did not address white supremacist terrorism. It was during this reply that the audience began to jeer.

Moderator Amy Allison had to refocus Sanders, telling him “The core of the question is about, as president what would you do with the rise of white supremacist violence, to protect our communities?”

“You know, as somebody who, I know I date myself a little bit here, but I actually was at the March on Washington with Dr King back in 1963,” Sanders replied, to audible groans from the audience, “and as somebody who actively supported Jesse Jackson’s campaign, as one of the few white elected officials to do so in 88, I have dedicated my life to the fight against racism and sexism and discrimination of all forms.”

He concluded by saying “And as president of the United States, at the very top of our agenda will be the understanding that discrimination of all forms has got to end. And you do that using the bully pulpit and you use that doing legislation. If somebody wants to go around perpetrating hate crimes, that person will pay a very very heavy price indeed.”

The jeering and the boos for Sanders appeared to be more directed at his failure to answer the questions asked than at his activism. The only policy he mentioned that was in any way related to white supremacist violence was hate crimes legislation, which already exists.

Hes not been released yet, they still have to figure out the conditions and from what i read and feds plan to fight it, hes still gotta go to trial at some point for weapons and drug charges so it aint like dude is a free man, as far as terriosim charges prosecutors didnt charge him with that thats why his attorney was able to get a possible release, cant hold somebody for shit you aint charged them with, but hell be back at court regardless

Last edited:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckr...sses-bill-targeting-voter-registration-drives

Tennessee GOP Senate Passes Bill Targeting Voter Registration Drives

The Tennessee state Senate on Thursday passed legislation that beefed up the civil and criminal penalties that voter registration drives could be subjected to. A version of the legislation has already been approved by the state’s House, and once the minor differences between the two versions are worked out, it will head to the desk of Gov. Bill Lee (R).

Tennessee Republicans, including Secretary of State Tre Hargett, pushed the bill after a boost in turnout in 2018 election.

Election officials in Shelby County, which contains Memphis, were sued in the lead-up to the 2018 election by a black voter registration group for the officials’ failure to process thousands of applications submitted by the organization. The election officials claimed that the forms were duplicates or missing information, and accused the group, the Tennessee Black Voter Project, of purposely dumping the applications at the last minute. The group countered that the officials were throwing out applications for minor deficiencies, such as a failure to check the form’s “Mr./Mrs./Ms.” box.

Under the new legislation, voter registration groups that pay their workers would face up to a $2,000 fine for turning in more than 100 “deficient” applications and a penalty of up to $10,000 for submitting more than 500 deficient forms.

Additionally, the bill makes it a class A misdemeanor if those groups break certain other rules surrounding voter registration drives, such as Tennessee’s prohibition on paying workers per ballot collected or its vague mandate of training for registration drives of a certain size. A class A misdemeanor brings with it up to one year in jail time and/or up to a $2,500 fine.

Voting rights activists believe the legislation is an effort to chill voter registration efforts in the state, where voter turnout currently ranks among the lowest in the country.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/sanders-white-house-briefing-kids-only

Only Kids Can Attend Sanders’ First Briefing In Over A Month

WASHINGTON (AP) — White House press secretary Sarah Sanders held her first briefing in more than a month Thursday, but her questioners weren’t working journalists.

Instead, Sanders made herself available for what the White House said was a “kids-only” press briefing for children participating in “Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day.”

Journalists who cover President Donald Trump and the White House on a daily basis have been waiting for a similar opportunity since Feb. 28, the last time Sanders held a briefing.

The White House announced that the briefing would be off the record and not for broadcast, meaning news organizations would be barred from reporting on the Q-and-A or airing video of the session.

Both parties must agree for material to be off the record, meaning it cannot be published. The Associated Press and some other news organizations did not agree to those terms.

A White House videographer and still photographer recorded the event, which was attended by the children of journalists and administration staffers. At least three kids wore Trump’s signature “Make America Great Again” red campaign hats.

Vice President Mike Pence joined the briefing near the end and also answered questions.

Sanders, who brought her three children with her to the lectern, opened by announcing that Trump will travel to Colorado on May 30 to be the U.S. Coast Guard Academy’s commencement speaker, and next week will welcome 2018 NASCAR Cup Series Champion Joey Logano to the White House.

The questions put to her ran the gamut from policy to fluff, from her views on Trump’s former policy of separating migrant families as they attempt to enter the U.S. from Mexico to the president’s plans for first lady Melania Trump’s birthday on Friday.

“Look, the president wants to keep families together and it’s something that is important,” Sanders said about family separation. “We want to make sure people are safe. We want to make sure everybody in our country is safe, one of the reasons he’s put such an emphasis on protecting our border.”

Her father, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, watched from the sidelines. Trump was scheduled to meet with the kids later Thursday.

It was Sanders’ first appearance in the White House press briefing room since a redacted version of special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia report was released last Thursday. The 448-report revealed that Sanders admitted to investigators that she had made an unfounded claim that “countless” FBI agents had reached out to express support for Trump’s decision to fire FBI Director James Comey in May 2017.

Questions about Sanders’ credibility resurfaced after the revelation, which led some journalists and others to call for her to resign or be fired. She made an oblique reference to the situation Thursday after being asked what job she would have if she didn’t work at the White House.

“I don’t know,” she replied. “If you have any ideas, you let me know, because there are some people that want me to be out of my job sometime, so I’ve got to look for a backup plan.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/...y-back-huge-fees-before-getting-voting-rights

FL House Votes To Require Ex-Felons Pay Back Huge Fees Before Re-Enfranchisement

The Florida House of Representatives on Wednesday passed a resolution to require former felons to pay potentially thousands of dollars in fines, fees, court costs and restitution (even restitution converted to a civil lien) in order to be allowed to vote, placing a huge asterisk on Amendment 4, the widely supported constitutional change that gives most felons their voting rights back after they “complete all terms of their sentence.”

The House version of Amendment 4 implementation is not yet law; the state Senate, which is also Republican-controlled, is considering a version that would still require the repayment of restitution, but not restitution converted to a civil lien, nor other expenses like fees, fines and court costs, the Orlando Sentinel noted Wednesday. The House version passed along party lines.

Many argue that the amendment text voters overwhelmingly approved was meant to be “self-implementing” or “self-executing” and therefore doesn’t require Republican legislative fine print.

In January, WLRN tallied potentially hundreds of millions of dollars that ex-felons would have to pay in order to vote. That would also be a boon for private debt collection agencies, the report noted, which some counties allow to tack on huge fees on top of the existing debts.

Florida has some of the most burdensome conviction-related expenses in the county, and advocates for felon re-enfranchisement have compared making the right to vote conditional upon paying them back to a modern poll tax.

“It’s blatantly unconstitutional as a poll tax,” Rep. Adam Hattersley (D-Riverview) said in March.

In addition to the discrepancy over fees, the Senate’s version also more narrowly defines which former felons would not be re-enfranchised due to the nature of their convictions: Amendment 4 excludes people “convicted of murder or a felony sexual offense.” The House version would include every felony sexual offense currently on the books, while the Senate’s version is more limited.

The legislative session ends May 3. Amendment 4 got more votes than any statewide elected official, including Sen. Rick Scott (R) and Gov. Ron DeSantis, in the 2018 elections. It replaced Florida’s comically arbitrary status quo for rights restoration.

Back