Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/...gh-report-found-no-evidence-of-sexual-assault

Grassley Releases Kavanaugh Report, Found ‘No Evidence’ Of Sexual Assault

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-IA) on Saturday announced that his committee investigation into allegations of sexual assault made against then-Supreme Court nominee and current Justice Brett Kavanaugh had produced no evidence to support those allegations.

“In the end, there was no credible evidence to support the allegations against the nominee,” Grassley wrote in a statement Saturday.

Democrats and lawyers for some of Kavanaugh’s accusers have said committee Republicans inappropriately limited the investigation’s scope. Saturday’s report on the investigation noted: “In sum, the Committee spoke to 45 individuals and collected 25 written statements.”

The report is 414 pages long including evidentiary documents, though without those documents it runs 28 pages.

47C7E3F5-5CB5-47AD-919C-E13E7E05D37F.gif

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/a...-connection-to-violence-threats-and-assaults/

ABC News Finds 17 Cases Where Trump’s Name Was Invoked in Connection to Violence, Threats and Assaults

Shortly after the arrest of Cesar Sayoc — an ardent Trump supporter who covered his van with far-right images and photos of Donald Trump — the president suggested he was not to blame in any way for the actions of the bomber.

“There’s no blame, there’s no anything,” Trump told reporters, adding that he thinks he’s been “toned down.”

Yet, according to a new research study conducted by ABC News, in fact, Trump’s name has been invoked in at least 17 criminal cases involving violence, threats or alleged assault.

ABC News reports:

But a nationwide review conducted by ABC News has identified at least 17 criminal cases where Trump’s name was invoked in direct connection with violent acts, threats of violence, or allegations of assault.

Nearly all — 16 of 17 — cases identified by ABC News are striking in that court documents and direct evidence reflect someone echoing presidential rhetoric, not protesting it. ABC News was unable to find any such case echoing presidential rhetoric when Barack Obama or George W. Bush were in the White House.

In addition, the research revealed that those invoking Trump’s name were mostly white men ranging in age from teens to late 60s.

The crimes found by ABC also include threats to other journalists.

For example, in August 2018, 68-year-old Robert Chain of Encino, California, threatened an employee of the Boston Globe calling them the “enemy of the people.” After his arrest he told reporters, “America was saved when Donald J. Trump was elected president.”

Other threats and acts of assault of violence were directed at minorities, including persons who are Muslim and gay.

ABC also notes that only cases resulting in arrest and charges were included. Acts of Trump-related vandalism were also excluded.

Of course there wasn't enough ballots or places to vote b/c ya know, that would be too much like right..... Shit is phucked up!

It's not the (early) voters fault they couldn't be accommodated and I feel those who waited and couldn't vote should've been given something (i.e. some kind of paperwork) to skip them ahead of others or put them in a separate line (similar to a VIP line) come Tuesday.

This the type of phuck shit that have people like "I'm cool on voting" *sigh*

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/georgia-officials-patch-security-holes

Georgia Officials Quietly Patched Security Holes They Said Didn’t Exist

A ProPublica analysis found that the state was busily fixing problems in its voter registration hours after the office of Secretary of State Brian Kemp, the Republican candidate for governor, had insisted the system was secure.

On Sunday morning, Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp unleashed a stunning allegation: State Democrats had committed “possible cyber crimes” after a tipster told party officials he had found gaping security holes in the state’s voter information website. The affair quickly degenerated into volleying charges about whether Democrats had promptly informed officials of the possible security breach.

A representative for Kemp, the state’s Republican candidate for governor, denied vulnerabilities existed in the state’s voter-lookup site and said the problems alleged could not be reproduced. But in the evening hours of Sunday, as the political storm raged, ProPublica found state officials quietly rewriting the website’s computer code.

ProPublica’s review of the state’s voter system followed a detailed recipe created by the tipster, who was described as having IT experience and alerted Democrats to the possible security problems. Using the name of a valid Georgia voter who gave ProPublica permission to access his voter file, reporters attempted to trace the security lapses that were identified.

ProPublica found the website was returning information in such a way that it revealed hidden locations on the file system. Computer security experts had said that revelation could give an intruder access to a range of information, including personal data about other voters and sensitive operating system details.

ProPublica’s attempt to take the next step — to poke around the concealed files and the innards of the operating system — was blocked by software fixes made that evening. According to the tipster’s recipe, it was also possible to view a voter’s driver’s license, partial Social Security number and address.

Kemp is locked in a tight race with Stacey Abrams, a former Democratic leader in the Georgia House. On Monday, his spokesman said the vulnerabilities raised could not be replicated. “There was nothing to substantiate” the claims, said Kemp spokeswoman Candice Broce.

ProPublica’s test on Sunday found traces of the same vulnerabilities the tipster described in his digital recipe. Details of the alleged vulnerabilities were provided to ProPublica by the website WhoWhatWhy.org, which first reportedon the security issues this weekend.

Broce said the ability to see where files were stored was “common” across many websites, and she said it was not an inherent vulnerability. She did not deny that the website’s code was rewritten and would not say whether changes were made as a result of the possible security holes.

“We make changes to our website all the time,” Broce said. “We always move our My Voter Page to a static page before Election Day to manage volume and capacity. It is standard practice.” By Monday afternoon, the page did not appear to be static in the way Broce described, and she did not respond to a request to provide evidence of the change.

Joseph Lorenzo Hall, the chief technologist at the Center for Democracy and Technology in Washington, D.C., disputed that visibility into file storage was common. “It’s definitely not best practice,” he said. He said it appeared the state had made the change in response to being notified of the problem and could see no reason why officials would otherwise make such a change ahead of Election Day.

Security experts frown on making such seemingly ad hoc changes close to major events, such as an election, because they can create unforeseen problems when made so quickly.

Georgia’s secretary of state was first alerted of a potential vulnerability Saturday afternoon. At the time, Washington attorney David Cross — who is representing plaintiffs in a lawsuit against Georgia over its paperless voting machines — alerted the office’s outside counsel that a man named Richard Wright contacted him Friday afternoon and claimed “any and all” information about registered voters could be pulled from the site with just a few keystrokes.

The state’s Democratic Party, for its part, denied running the code and said a party volunteer named Rachel Small merely forwarded Wright’s tip — containing an explainer and recipe that could reproduce the problem — to her boss, who forwarded it to cybersecurity experts. Those experts told the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the FBI and Georgia officials by mid-Saturday, documents and interviews show.

The state did not know that Small had received her information from Wright — and assumed Small had written the code herself — until ProPublica told them of the connection on Sunday evening. Still, Broce said the investigation into the state Democratic Party was justified.

“You don’t have to actually have someone who is successful in running up against your system,” they don’t have to find a vulnerability for it to be potentially criminal or even try and execute it, Broce said. “All you need, to open an investigation, is information suggesting plans and an attempt to put together some kind of program or utilize specialize tools to find a vulnerability. We did have evidence,” she said, referring to the email forwarded by Small.

Kemp has previously faced election-related security problems, including a case in 2015 when his office mistakenly distributed files with 6 million voters’ private information.

Democratic Party of Georgia spokesperson Seth Bringman said that the party found out about Kemp’s investigation of the purported hack from news reports. He noted that no one from the secretary of state’s office has called to ask about Small. The party, Bringman said, has also not been contacted by the FBI or DHS. Bringman called Kemp’s public statements that Democrats were under investigation “unethical, irresponsible and disqualifying.”

Kemp’s campaign showed no signs of relenting Monday. “In an act of desperation, the Democrats tried to expose vulnerabilities in Georgia’s voter registration system,” spokesman Ryan Mahoney said in a statement. “This was a 4th-quarter, Hail Mary pass that was intercepted in the end zone. Thanks to the systems and protocols established by Secretary of State Brian Kemp, no personal information was breached.”

“These power-hungry radicals should be held accountable for their criminal behavior,” he said.

http://www.bostonherald.com/opinion/op_ed/2018/11/obama_given_pass_on_stirring_up_bias

Obama given pass on stirring up bias

Former President Barack Obama received praise for his response to the recent murder of 11 people at a Pittsburgh synagogue. Obama tweeted: “We grieve for the Americans murdered in Pittsburgh. All of us have to fight the rise of anti-Semitism and hateful rhetoric against those who look, love or pray differently.” Many described Obama’s words as a powerful call for “unity.”

Meanwhile, leaders of Bend the Arc, a Pittsburgh Jewish advocacy group, said President Trump is not welcome in their city until Trump “denounces white nationalism” — the white supremacist movement that many believe Trump is guilty of either supporting or at least providing aid and comfort.

Speaking of “hateful rhetoric,” critics of President Trump have apparently forgotten about Obama’s 20-year relationship with his anti-Semitic pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

Wright and Nation of Islam Minister Louis Farrakhan have long been friends. In 2007, the publication founded by Wright’s church, Trumpet Newsmagazine, awarded its annual “Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. Trumpeter Award” to Farrakhan, a man who, it said, “truly epitomized greatness.” Farrakhan, in a February 2018 sermon, proclaimed the era of Jewish influence was near its end. In 2005, Farrakhan posed with a smiling freshman senator named Barack Obama. Fortunately for Obama, the photograph was not released until after Obama completed his two terms in the White House. Longtime Democrat Alan Dershowitz says that had he known about that photograph, he would not have campaigned for Obama.

Obama often denounced cops. In Ferguson, Mo., Michael Brown, an unarmed black man, was killed by a police officer. A friend and witness claimed that Brown held his hands up and pleaded with the cop, “Don’t shoot.” A grand jury later found the assertion a lie and completely exonerated the officer. But before the investigation was complete, Obama invoked Ferguson during a United Nations address as an example of the systemic racism blacks allegedly face in our criminal justice system.

President Obama, commenting on the 2016 police shootings of unarmed blacks, said: “These are not isolated incidents. They are symptomatic of a broader set of racial disparities that exist in our criminal justice system.” But recent studies, including one done by a black Harvard economist, show the opposite. Cops, the studies found, are more hesitant to use deadly force on a black suspect than a white one.

In 2014, two NYPD officers were killed — literally executed — while sitting in their squad cars. In 2016, five Dallas cops and three Baton Rouge, La., cops were also killed. All three suspects in these cop killings were black men, motivated, according to their own social media postings, by Black Lives Matter’s claim of anti-black systemic racism in the criminal justice system.

After the Dallas shootings, William Johnson, the executive director of the National Association of Police Organizations, said, “I think (the Obama administration’s) continued appeasement at the federal level with the Department of Justice; their appeasement of violent criminals; their refusal to condemn movements like Black Lives Matter actively calling for the death of police officers ... while blaming police for the problems in this country has led directly to the climate that has made Dallas possible.”

Trump’s critics argue that his alleged “hateful rhetoric” inspired the pipe bomb suspect and the suspected Pittsburgh synagogue shooter. As for the cops murdered in New York, Baton Rouge and Dallas, does the same logic apply to Obama and his anti-cop rhetoric?

Larry Elder is a best-selling author and nationally syndicated radio talk-show host.

023F6885-A0D1-4699-A31B-B42E710E4B83.gif

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...ening-side-of-brett-kavanaugh-20-years-later/

‘The Word Feral Came to Mind’: Woman Recalls ‘Frightening Side’ of Brett Kavanaugh 20 Years Later

Slate has decided to publish a personal account of woman who encountered Brett Kavanaugh 20 years ago, just about a month after he was confirmed and sworn in as a Supreme Court justice.

Kavanaugh was, of course, accused of sexual assault and/or sexual misconduct by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, Deborah Ramirez, and Julie Swetnick. Judy Munro-Leighton, meanwhile, has been referred to the Department of Justice and the FBI for an alleged false rape claim against Kavanaugh. The Swetnick claim has also been referred for a criminal probe.

Judi Hershman‘s Kavanaugh story in Slate made no such accusations of sexual misconduct or wrongdoing. What she did say is that she watched Kavanaugh and Ford testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee and was reminded of something that happened in 1998. She said that when Kavanaugh worked on the Bill Clinton investigation as a lawyer on independent counsel Ken Starr‘s team, she was “charged with helping prep Starr to present his history-making report to Congress.” Hershman still works in marketing and communications.

She said that she showed up one day at the independent counsel’s office and was greeted by an “angry” Kavanaugh, who was “invading my space, badgering me in a way that I didn’t understand.”

Then she said this exchange occurred:

Him (very angry): You are going to tell me exactly who you are and why you are here.

Me: I am here at the invitation of Judge Starr, and he shared with the group who I am and why I’m here.

Him (pointing a finger in my face, I can feel his breath): No. I’m telling you—

Me (defiant stance): And I’m telling you to go talk to Judge Starr.

Hershman claimed that Kavanaugh “couldn’t have possibly thought I was a spy, because he knew who I was—we had met before and been in each other’s company several times since.”

She also said that she told Starr decades back about it and that Starr said he would talk to Kavanaugh. Slate said that Starr confirmed Hershman helped the independent counsel investigation, but that he “[did] not recall any mention of any incident involving Brett Kavanaugh. To the contrary, throughout his service in the independent counsel’s office, now-Justice Kavanaugh comported himself at all times with high professionalism and respect toward all our colleagues.”

Hershman said that even though it “sounds like a strange, ultimately meaningless conversation […] it’s not the exchange that sticks with me, it’s how he made me feel.”

“I was thinking: Why is he so mad? He knows who I am and why I’m here. I know he will not hurt me. Someone will come. Why isn’t someone coming? I kept saying Starr’s name, and finally Kavanaugh appeared to come to his senses,” Hershman continued. “He stopped haranguing, his face relaxed, and he left the room. It was like he’d momentarily been a different person.”

She said that she saw this version of Kavanaugh once again when he defended himself before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“[Ford’s] testimony struck me as credible. When I saw the nominee’s facial expression—the same pinched eyes and lips of the person who tried to bully me that day in 1998—I was taken aback. The word feral came to mind. And when he showed the entire world that rabid ‘temperament’ i’d seen, a switch flipped inside me,” Hershman said. “I flashed back 20 years to that conference room and relived that guttural fear. I realized that what I had experienced that day hadn’t been some one-off outburst prompted by stress. And I decided that I had to go on record with the senators who were faced with choosing whether to give Kavanaugh lifetime tenure on the nation’s highest court.”

Hershman said that she actually sent a statement about the 1998 encounter to Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Arizona), Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) and Chris Coons (D-Delaware). Kavanaugh didn’t comment on the story and Slate added a note to say they “contacted the author’s ex-husband, who said that she had told him in 2010 about a jarring interaction she’d had while working for Starr and that she’d clarified in 2012 that the interaction had been with Kavanaugh.”

“Further, her daughter provided text messages from July—when Kavanaugh was known to be on the short list for the Supreme Court but before Christine Blasey Ford’s accusation was publicly known—in which the author said she had a story to share about Kavanaugh,” Slate continued. “She told her daughter the story later that month, before Ford’s accusation became public.”

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/cnn-nbc-fb-fox-drop-prez-ad-for-being-too-racist

CNN, NBC, FB, Fox Drop Prez Ad for Being Too Racist

NEW YORK (AP) — NBC, Fox News Channel and Facebook all said Monday they will stop airing President Donald Trump’s campaign advertisement that featured an immigrant convicted of killing two police officers.

CNN had rejected the same ad, declaring it racist.

Asked before leaving for campaign rallies if he thought the advertisement was offensive, Trump said, “a lot of things are offensive. Your questions are offensive a lot of times.”

The ad has already likely been seen by more people than it would if it kept running. NBC aired it on the “Sunday Night Football” game between the New England Patriots and Green Bay Packers, which drew the highest overnight ratings of the franchise’s history. During football season, it’s usually the most-watched show on television, often with around 20 million viewers.

MSNBC also aired it on “Morning Joe” on Monday.

Released last week, the advertisement includes footage of Luis Bracamontes, a twice-deported immigrant from Mexico sentenced to death in California for killing two police officers. He’s seen smiling in a court appearance and saying, “I will break out soon and I will kill more.”

The ad says, without evidence, that “Democrats let him into our country.” It shows masses of people shaking at a fence, apparently trying to break it down, and ended with the tagline, “Trump and Republicans are making America safe again.”

NBC was the first of the three companies to say it was stopping the advertisement on Monday, apparently after a fierce online response.

“After further review we recognize the insensitive nature of the ad and have decided to cease airing it across our properties as soon as possible,” NBC Universal said in a statement.

Marianne Gambelli, Fox News’ president of advertising sales, said the commercial was pulled on Sunday “upon further review.” Fox did not immediately say how many times it had aired on either Fox News Channel or the Fox Business Network.

Facebook initially ran the ad but that was an error, company spokesman Andy Stone said, because it violates the company’s policy against sensation content.

Facebook is still allowing its members to post the ad in their news feeds, however.
Trump’s campaign manager, Brad Parscale, tweeted that NBC News, CNN and Facebook had chosen “to stand with those ILLEGALLY IN THIS COUNTRY.” He said the media was trying to control what you see and think.

Parscale made no mention of Fox’s decision.

The president’s son, Donald Trump Jr., had tweeted over the weekend, noting CNN’s refusal to air the advertisement, that “I guess they only run fake news and won’t talk about real threats that don’t suit their agenda.”

CNN said through Twitter that it was made “abundantly clear” through its coverage that the ad was racist and declined to air it when the campaign sought to buy airtime.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...oter-outreach-efforts/?utm_term=.6832e47f748a

Headed into midterms, Trump has all but abandoned his black voter outreach efforts

No Republican president has won the black vote in the years it has been tracked, going back to the Voting Rights Act of 1965. But President Trump arguably tried in 2016 — albeit in an incredibly unorthodox way, like much of the rest of his campaign.

During his presidential campaign, Trump challenged black voters to give him a shot at following Barack Obama, the first black president in American history. Despite making multiple offensive comments, repeatedly attacking the popular Obama, and his own history of racial profiling and discrimination, Trump won a higher percentage of black voters than the 2012 Republican presidential nominee. But in the first election that is a referendum on his presidency, Trump appears to have abandoned any effort to turn out black voters for his party.

Trump strayed from his prepared remarks to make one of these appeals to black voters before a predominantly white crowd in Akron, Ohio, in August 2016. He said:

Our government has totally failed our African American friends, our Hispanic friends and the people of our country. Period. The Democrats have failed completely in the inner cities. For those hurting the most who have been failed and failed by their politicians — year after year, failure after failure, worse numbers after worse numbers. Poverty. Rejection. Horrible education. No housing, no homes, no ownership. Crime at levels that nobody has seen. You can go to war zones in countries that we are fighting and it’s safer than living in some of our inner cities that are run by the Democrats. And I ask you this, I ask you this — crime, all of the problems — to the African Americans, who I employ so many, so many people, to the Hispanics, tremendous people: What the hell do you have to lose? Give me a chance. I’ll straighten it out. I’ll straighten it out. What do you have to lose?

Many black voters labeled his portrayal of the black American experience as offensive and condescending before ultimately choosing to support Democrat Hillary Clinton.

Since 2016, there have been even fewer African Americans vouching publicly for Trump.

Trump’s African American campaign surrogates Katrina Pierson and Paris Dennard are no longer daily fixtures on CNN. YouTube stars Diamond and Silk, who regularly attack liberal black lawmakers while defending Trump, are no longer campaign rally staples. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson, the Trump surrogate with the most notoriety in the black community before launching his own presidential bid, has pretty much disappeared from campaign activities. And Omarosa Manigault Newman, once the most powerful black person in the White House, has the rare distinction of having been fired from both Trump’s reality show and White House.

While all of them still support Trump except for Manigault Newman, who now claims that her former boss is racist, they have not been dispatched across America to rally black votes for Trump-endorsed Republicans. Part of that may be because after a failed effort apparently orchestrated by hip-hop artist Kanye West, Trump seems for the moment to have given up on trying to convince black voters that his vision of a great America includes them.

The black unemployment rate hit its lowest number in history during Trump’s presidency, but the president hasn’t gone to places with large percentages of black residents to convince voters that this trend could continue under his watch. Most of his rallies have been in the small cities with large percentages of the white working-class voters that occupy a significant piece of his base and away from the inner cities that he promised to reform.

One of the positions that Trump appeared to assume once he entered the White House is Chief Culture Warrior. When given the choice between addressing the cultural concerns of his mostly white base, who cited immigration and discrimination against white Americans among their major fears during the 2016 election, and black Americans, who have regularly criticized Trump’s positions on the Charlottesville shooting, the National Football League protest debate and immigration from predominantly black countries, the president has chosen to stick to his base.

Presidents usually use midterm elections to expand their base and attempt to win over people who did not previously support them. But it all makes sense if you consider the argument made by Ta-Nehisi Coates in the Atlantic that Trump is “the First White President.”

Few groups give Trump lower approval rating than black Americans. According to the Quinnipiac University poll, only 8 percent of black Americans approve of him. But the president remains relatively popular with those groups who helped send him to the White House, including white Americans, the ethnic group giving Trump the highest approval (49 percent).

In theory, Trump could have crossed the country delivering a multipronged message to Americans of different ethnic groups about why the GOP is the best political group to advance the United States. But that’s not what got Trump to the White House. Stoking fears did. And instead of making a potentially laughable effort to convince black Americans that he wants to improve their lives, Trump has chosen to address the concerns of white Americans in his base.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/election-workers-scramble-to-ensure-voter-confidence-in-system

Election Workers Scramble To Ensure Voters’ Confidence In System

ATLANTA (AP) — Federal and state officials have been working for nearly two years to shore up the nation’s election infrastructure from cyberattacks by Russians or others seeking to disrupt the voting process.

It turns out that many of the problems are closer to home.

Early voting leading up to Tuesday’s midterm election revealed a wide variety of concerns with voting and registration systems around the country — from machines that changed voter selections to registration forms tossed out because of clerical errors.
Election officials and voting rights groups fear that voter confidence in the results could be undermined if such problems become even more widespread on Election Day, as millions of Americans head to the polls to decide pivotal races for Congress and governor.

Already there is concern that last-minute court rulings on voter ID requirements, the handling of absentee ballots and other issues in a handful of states will sow confusion among voters and poll workers.

“We expect poll workers will be overwhelmed, just as voters are overwhelmed, and there will be lots of provisional ballots,” said Sara Henderson, head of Common Cause in Georgia, where voting-rights groups have been raising numerous concerns about election security and voter access.

The problems come amid a surge of interest, with registrations and early-voting turnout running well ahead of what is typically seen during a midterm election.

The election marks the first nationwide voting since Russia targeted state election systems in the 2016 presidential race. Federal, state and local officials have been working to make the nation’s myriad election systems more secure. They have beefed up their cybersecurity protections and improved communications and intelligence-sharing.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, FBI and other federal agencies have opened a command center to help state and local election offices with any major problems that arise.

“We want them to be as informed as possible,” said Matt Masterson, senior cybersecurity adviser with the Department of Homeland Security.

There have been no signs so far that Russia or any other foreign actor has tried to launch cyberattacks against voting systems in any state, according to federal authorities.

But early voting and voter registration has been problematic in a number of states. Problems include faulty machines in Texas and North Carolina, inaccurate mailers in Missouri and Montana, and voter registration problems in Tennessee and Georgia.

In other states, including Kansas, Election Day polling places have been closed or consolidated, leading to worries that voters will be disenfranchised if they can’t find a way to get there and cast a ballot.

Questions about election integrity erupted in recent days in Georgia, where the governor’s race is among the most closely watched elections in the country.

Over the weekend, reports of security vulnerabilities within the state’s online voter registration portal prompted a flurry of accusations from the Secretary of State’s office, which is overseen by Republican gubernatorial candidate Brian Kemp. His office claimed without providing evidence that Democrats had tried to hack into the system.

Democrats dismissed that as an effort to distract voters from a problem in a system Kemp oversees.

DHS officials have boasted that the 2018 midterms will be the most secure election in U.S. history, pointing to federal intrusion-detection sensors that will protect “90 percent of election infrastructure,” as DHS Undersecretary Christopher Krebs tweeted in mid-October. Those sensors sniff for malicious traffic, and are installed on election systems in 45 states.

But similar sensors used at the federal level have performed quite badly. According to a Sept. 14 letter from the Office of Management and Budget, those sensors had a 99 percent failure rate from April 2017 onward, when they detected only 379 out of almost 40,000 “incidents” across federal civilian networks.

Nationally, some 6,500 poll watchers are being deployed by a coalition of civil rights and voting advocacy groups to assist people who encounter problems at the polls. That is more than double the number sent to polling places in 2016, while the number of federal election monitors has declined.

Back