Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

Incorrect Georgia voter registration forms remain in use
051218%20Saturday%20voting%20reh8.JPG

People take part in Saturday early voting at the C.T. Martin Natatorium and Recreation Center in Atlanta, Georgia, on Saturday, May 12, 2018. (REANN HUBER/[email protected])

Georgia election officials are continuing to use inaccurate paper voter registration applications until replacement forms arrive.

These outdated applications incorrectly say proof of residence is required when someone registers to vote. Under federal election law, applicants don’t have to verify their names and addresses until they vote for the first time.

Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp’s office updated registration applications available online last month, but the state still has a supply of more than 130,000 old paper forms. The erroneous language has appeared on registration applications since 2004.

Local election officials have been trained to accept all voter registration forms, without asking applicants for photo ID or proof of residence, said Candice Broce, a spokeswoman for Kemp.

“Changing the voter registration form is an extensive process, and before we place an official order for hundreds of thousands of forms, we have to make sure everything is accurate,” Broce said Tuesday. “We have been working diligently on making this change. The counties know that forms are on the way as soon as possible.”

The state will likely order 200,000 updated registration forms, Broce said. They typically cost about $6,600 per 100,000 ordered.

The issue arose in February when the American Civil Liberties of Georgia said voter registration applications were misleading potential voters. Kemp, a Republican candidate for governor against Democrat Stacey Abrams, agreed to change the forms.

“Voter registration is the gateway to exercising the sacred, constitution right to vote that belongs to every Georgian,” said Sean Young, legal director for the ACLU of Georgia. “County officials are required to follow the law, and the Office of the Secretary of State is responsible for ensuring that they do.”

Nearly 84,000 new voters have already registered since the May 22 primary election, bringing the total number of registered Georgia voters to more than 6.8 million, according to the Secretary of State’s Office.

Georgians who use their driver’s license numbers of state-issued identification numbers when registering to vote on paper forms don’t need to submit any additional identification.

Corrected paper voter registration applications won’t be available until after the Oct. 9 registration deadline for new voters who want to participate in the Nov. 6 general election. It will take at least 30 days after the state orders new forms for them to be printed and delivered, Broce said.

How Georgia voter registration forms changed

Previous forms

“REQUIREMENT: If you are submitting this form by mail and you are registering for the first time in Georgia, enclose a copy of one of the following with your application: A copy of a current and valid photo ID, a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address.”

New forms

“REQUIREMENT: If you are submitting this form by mail and you are registering for the first time in Georgia, you are required to submit proof of residence either with this form OR when you vote for the first time. Proof of residence includes one of the following: a COPY of a current and valid photo ID; or a COPY of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows your name and address.”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/san-jua...ut-success-of-puerto-rico-hurricane-response/

San Juan Mayor Blasts Trump for ‘Despicable’ Comments About ‘Success’ of Puerto Rico Hurricane Response

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz spoke to Chris Matthews tonight to respond to President Donald Trump‘s claims of success in the federal government’s response to the hurricanes that hit Puerto Rico.

While talking about Hurricane Florence today, Trump was asked about potential lessons learned from Puerto Rico. Trump actually said the response to Puerto Rico was an “unsung success” and “one of the best jobs that’s ever been done.”

Cruz first took to Twitter to say if Trump thinks 2975 people dead is considered part of a successful response, “God help us all.”

When she called into Hardball tonight, she told Matthews that Trump’s comments were “despicable”:

“It just goes to the lack of understanding of reality that he has,” she said. “This was never about politics. He’s talking about unsung praise. Well, you know, nobody’s singing his praises.”

The call briefly cut out, but when it reconnected she continued on to say that the crisis is not over yet.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/manafort-considering-plea-deal

After Trump Praised Him For Refusing To ‘Break,’ Manafort Talking Deal

President Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort is in talks with special counsel Robert Mueller’s office about a potential plea deal, The Washington Post reported.

Bloomberg News reported Friday that Manafort was considering pleading guiltyto some of the charges he’ll face in a Washington, D.C. court later this month in order to avoid the second trial.

According to two people with knowledge of the discussion who spoke to the Post, the discussions between Manafort and prosecutors is still preliminary, and it’s very possible that the talks could not produce a plea agreement. It is unclear if cooperating with prosecutors would be part of any agreement.

The reports come just weeks after Trump praised Manafort in a tweet, calling him a “brave man!” for refusing to “break” or “make up stories in order to get a ‘deal.'”

Manafort was found guilty of eight counts of bank and tax fraud crimes in a Virginia court and the jury was deadlocked on 10 other counts. In the D.C. court, Manafort will face money laundering, witness tampering and failure to disclose foreign lobbying charges.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/tr...ew-polls-boosting-dems-midterm-election-hopes

Trump’s Approval Rating Plunges In New Polls, Boosting Dems’ Midterm Election Hopes

President Trump’s approval rating has dipped into treacherous territory for his party, fueling an eye-popping lead for Democrats on the generic House ballot question, according to a pair of new national surveys from reputable pollsters.

Trump’s job approval rating is down to 38 percent, with 54 percent of registered voters disapproving of the job he’s doing in two separate polls released Wednesday morning, the first conducted by Quinnipiac University and the other conducted by Marist College for NPR.

Those numbers fuel a double-digit lead for Democrats on the generic ballot in both surveys. If that holds for the fall elections, it’s all but certain that Democrats will retake the House — and they could have a real shot at the Senate, a scenario that seemed unlikely even weeks ago.

Marist finds that Democrats have a whopping 12-point lead in the generic congressional ballot, with 50 percent of registered voters planning to back a Democrat to just 38 percent who will back a Republican. Quinnipiac’s numbers are even better for Democrats, with a 52 percent to 38 percent split in their favor.

Those numbers are slightly better for Democrats than some other recent surveys, and both pollsters have produced numbers that are a bit more positive for Democrats than other reputable pollsters this election cycle. Individual race polling has looked good overall for Democrats in recent weeks, but not quite as rosy as these national numbers would indicate.

But seven of the last eight reputable national surveys have found Trump with a double-digit gap in his favorability rating, and Democrats’ lead in the generic congressional ballot has steadily risen over the last two weeks. Democrats’ lead currently stands at 8.4 percent in RealClearPolitics’ polling average, above the 7 percent threshold that most strategists in both parties believe is the mark Democrats need to hit to have a strong shot at winning back the House.

Trump’s approval rating, which had remained steady for most of the past six months, began to slide in most surveys in late August following a tumultuous month for the president that ended in two of his former top deputies being found guilty by the courts. RealClearPolitics’ polling average finds Trump underwater at 40.7 approval, 53.6 disapproval, the worst numbers he’s had since mid-March.

Poll numbers go up and down in response to the news of the day and statistical noise. But if election day comes and Trump is in as bad shape as he appears to be currently, Republicans could be facing an even worse walloping in the midterms than most experts have expected.

http://www.kitv.com/story/39070814/...ed-obama-a-secret-terrorist-supporting-muslim

Republican congressional candidate called Obama a secret terrorist-supporting Muslim

(CNN) -- Republican congressional candidate Tim Donnelly of California called then-President Barack Obama a secret Muslim and terrorist sympathizer on his old radio program, a CNN KFile review has found.

Donnelly also said that Loretta Lynch was nominated by Obama for attorney general either because of her "skin color" or her "anti-American" attitude and endorsed a conspiracy theory the death of Freddie Gray was a false flag by the Obama administration and their allies to impose martial law.

Donnelly, a former state assemblyman, is challenging incumbent Republican Rep. Paul Cook in California's 8th District, which runs along the eastern border of the state and includes large parts of San Bernardino County and the Mojave Desert. Donnelly came in second to Cook in the June primary, earning the right to face Cook again in November under California's rules in which the top two candidates in the primary advance to the general regardless of party affiliation. Cook's 40% share of the primary vote nearly doubled the 23% won by Donnelly, who edged out a Democratic candidate by a single point for the number two spot.

Donnelly previously ran for the seat in 2016 but came in third by a percentage point in the primary. Before that, he finished a close third in the primary for California's governorship in 2014. Donnelly has several well-known supporters. He is backed by Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, Iowa Rep. Steve King, former Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo, former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio and conservative activist Charlie Kirk.

Last week, Trump endorsed Cook. Donnelly told Politico of the endorsement, "President Trump just endorsed the swamp."

In a comment emailed to CNN's KFile, Donnelly said, "I have spent my professional life fighting for the families of people slain by illegal aliens and islamic jihadists. I went to build the wall a decade before it was a talking point for politicians like Paul Cook."

He added, "On the anniversary of 9/11, you want to hit me for being too harsh on the assholes who killed my neighbor and the worthless politicians like Paul Cook, who colluded with Obama and the #FakeNewsMedia to let them into our country."

Donnelly's comments come from episodes of the "The Tim Donnelly Show,"a radio program he hosted in 2015 and 2016 on local radio in California. Islam, which Donnelly label a cult, and the president were frequent targets of his ire."

Here's what Donnelly said:

In a December 2015 episode, broadcast the day after the terrorist attack in San Bernardino, Donnelly said that he believed Obama did not call the perpetrators "Islam jihadists" because the then-president was "secretly following" the Islamic faith and wanted to see America punished.

"Barack Obama is the president of the United States and he couldn't say, 'Hey, these are Islamic jihadists. I just got informed of this by the FBI.' Instead he lies," Donnelly said. "He comes out and lies because we all know this information was out there, but he didn't want to insult the faith that I believe he is secretly following, a follower, or he is simply sympathetic because they're doing the dirty work. Because he ultimately wants to see this country punished and taken down for what he considers to be crimes against the rest of the world."

Later that month, he returned to the same theme, calling the then-president "Ayatollah Obama." Arguing that Obama would never cut off immigration, trade, or diplomatic relations with "terrorist sponsoring countries," Donnelly endorsed the conspiracy theory that Obama had members of the Muslim Brotherhood in his administration.

"Think about that, but we will never hear that from Ayatollah Obama because that's what he really is," Donnelly said. "He is, in whatever way, I don't know what his connection to the Muslim Brotherhood is, but he's got them in all kinds of positions of power, other smarter people than me have have laid out the case and shown who these people are. I'm just seeing the result. You're seeing the results. You've been asking yourself, 'Why is it that he won't actually call Islamic jihadism, Islamic jihadism? Why is it that he's so passionate about taking away your guns, taking away your First Amendment, your right to speak the truth about this great evil?' But that's because it works. That's because it's part of a plan. That's because the left has always been more organized. They've had playbooks because they have people that get paid in the ivory towers to concoct these plans."

Donnelly had previously said in November 2015 that he was believed "more and more" Obama was part of the Muslim Brotherhood and doing their bidding.

Another subject Donnelly addressed on the show was his belief that the Obama administration was quick to label Dylann Roof, who has since been convicted of hate crimes in connection with his shooting of nine black parishioners at a church in Charleston in June 2015, a white supremacist, while refusing to call Muslim terrorists "Islamic jihadists."

Roof himself admitted to holding white supremacist views.

On his program the day after the San Bernardino shooting, Donnelly attributed this to the terrorists being "Obama's people, the Islamic people."

"I want to play you a little clip of the dictator-in-chief, the gun-controller-in-chief, I don't know what to call him today, who--this is his reaction and it's completely devoid of the same passion that he would have had if this individual had been Dylann Roof who killed nine black people in a church and could easily be demonized as a white supremacist, whereas these are Obama's people, the Islamic people," Donnelly said.

He returned to this theme days later, playing the audio from a video he had put out in which he addressed Lynch, saying that Obama had not asked "citizens to reserve judgment" about Roof, but had instead "encouraged more hate" with his rhetoric. Donnelly went on to say that if Lynch loved America, she would threaten to turn mosques "upside down" if they did not turn over terrorists and said that he himself would take up arms to "go after the jihadis next door," as well as those who appeared in his backyard.

"If you were an American who loved this country, you'd put the mosques on notice," Donnelly said in the comments directed at the then-attorney general. "You'd tell them, 'If you don't turn over the extremists and the jihadists within your midst then we'll set the FBI on you. We'll turn your mosques upside down. We'll make your lives a living hell until you rat out those who have declared war on America.' But instead you threaten the family and friends of the victims of your failure to identify and prosecute those who've sworn to kill anyone who doesn't pledge allegiance to their insane jihad."

He continued, "Well, I'm putting you on notice. If you don't go after the Islamic jihadis next door, we will. The only good jihadi is a dead jihadi. And the next jihadi to rear his or her ugly head in my backyard and point a weapon at me and my friends will get a 45 hollow point between the eyes. So if by refusing to be the next victim in the war the Islamic jihadis have declared on us somehow makes me an advocate of violence then bring it on. Come and arrest me. I'm not hard to find. And then you could explain to the American people why we are the target of your wrath, not the murderous bastards who slaughtered the innocent even at a Christmas party all in the name of the religion of peace."

In the same video broadcast on that show, Donnelly said that Lynch had been appointed to her job either because she was black or because of her "anti-American ideology."

"I'm not sure if you're an idiot or you're deliberately undermining the security of the United States," he said. "Whichever it is, you've violated your oath. I don't know how you got this job, whether it was your anti-American ideology or your skin color or both, but I'm going to tell you one thing: we, the people, of these United States refuse to be intimidated by you. You work for us."

Donnelly also promoted other conspiracy theories on his show.

In May 2015, he interviewed the author of an World Net Daily article, a website that traffics in conspiracy theories, which baselessly speculated that the unrest in Baltimore following the shooting of Freddie Gray, a black man, by police was part of a conspiracy by the Obama administration and other authorities to impose martial law and suspend the 2016 election. Donnelly encouraged his listeners to read the article, which he called "excellent." He later approvingly said that his producer had told him that the article made "great points."

"On the break, my producer, who is not hyper-political made the comment that you make -- great points in this article -- and you were starting to talk about, is there something deeper or someone or organization or a collection of organizations behind what clearly seems to be an orchestrated attempt to undermine the rule of law and create anarchy in this country?" Donnelly said.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/home-de...obe-should-end-come-out-and-say-what-you-got/

Home Depot Co-Founder Defends Trump, Says Mueller Probe Should End: ‘Come Out and Say What You Got’

Home Depot co-founder Ken Langone today spoke out in defense of President Donald Trump and his achievements in office while taking a swipe at Robert Mueller‘s investigation.

After talking about his support for but also criticism of Andrew Cuomo, Langone touched on issues related to the President with Neil Cavuto.

“Give Trump credit for this,” Langone said. “He’s behaving exactly the way he behaved in the campaign. The American people didn’t get fooled by it. Those people that voted for him saw him close up in the campaign and they decided we want this guy.”

Cavuto brought up the Bob Woodward book sending shockwaves throughout the country, as well as the anonymous op-ed, and Langone expressed that he finds it “suspicious” that this is all coming out so close to the midterms.

He sounded off on former President Barack Obama‘s return to the national stage and said he should “go off into the sunset.”

And as he defended Trump he even brought up the Mueller probe:

We live in the greatest country on Earth, and the American people spoke loud and clear. The establishment is shocked that Donald Trump won. But he won. He won fair and square. I don’t––this Mueller investigation, come on, let’s end it. Let’s decide. Come out and say what you got. There’s a notion here that this guy should not be President of the United States. I beg your pardon. He won fair and square. He won 307 electoral votes. He is our president. Respect the office of the presidency.”

Back