Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/butina-lawyer-says-sexist-prosecutors-smear-as-honeypot

Butina: Feds’ Baseless Honeypot Claims Fanned ‘Sexist And Misogynistic Flames’

The attorney for Mariia Butina alleged in a Friday court filing that “sexist” prosecutors intentionally misconstrued the young Russian graduate student’s communications in order to paint her as spy who offered sex for favors.

“The government gratuitously and falsely smeared her character and reputation in its written memorandum and oral proffer made in open court,” Robert Driscoll wrote in an indignant 16-page memorandum.

“The impact of this inflammatory allegation, which painted Ms. Butina as some type of
Kremlin-trained seductress, or spy-novel honeypot character, trading sex for access and power, cannot be overstated,” Driscoll added.

Butina was indicted in July for acting as an agent for Russia without properly registering with the U.S. government. A federal judge in D.C. agreed with prosecutors’ request that she be held in pretrial detention based on their concerns that she posed a flight risk, and that the U.S. lacked an extradition treaty with her home country.

Driscoll’s Friday filing asked the judge to reconsider.

Prosecutors and the FBI “should be held to a higher standard and not fuel the sexist and misogynistic flames surrounding this case with baseless slurs
and indignities,” Driscoll said.

In making their request, prosecutors said they had “substantial evidence” that Butina was in a sham relationship with GOP operative Paul Erickson. “On at least one occasion,” they said, she offered to trade sex with a different operative in order to receive a job with a special interest organization.

Driscoll claimed that the government could only offer one example to support that allegation: a 2015 text exchange between Butina and the public relations representative for her Russian gun rights group, the Right to Bear Arms.

After the unnamed representative helped her deal with her car insurance renewal, he told Butina she owed him some sort of favor.

“Sex. Thank you so much. I have nothing else at all. Not a nickel to my name,” Butina replied.

Driscoll said that the exchange was just a “joke” between friends, and that the representative replied with more information about the car insurance and related documents.

As to the alleged phony relationship with Erickson, Driscoll said that prosecutors could only provide one exchange in which Butina complained to a friend about Erickson’s elderly mother, saying she felt like she was “residing in a nursing home.”

It’s unclear if prosecutors do have other evidence that bolsters their claims.

The thrust of Driscoll’s argument for Butina’s release is that she carried out all of her activities in public, networking openly with GOP operatives and National Rifle Association higher-ups. Driscoll says she was not acting at the best of any Russian intelligence agency or official, despite her work with Russian Central Bank deputy Alexander Torshin. Butina also remained in the U.S. after reports on her activities began to trickle out into the press last year, Driscoll points out.

Butina is being held at a jail in Alexandria, Virginia.

giphy.gif

Theres nothing invaluable about this these days, pretending like Hollywood really has any sway in the electoral process is not indicative of the truth.

Hollywood was as close to monolithic in their opposition to trump and we all know what happened there.

The "blue wave" is largely happening because of the Tangerine Palpatine AND because random candidates that support progressive values and don't take donor money, running successful campaigns purely off of small donations so they're not beholden to the donor class.

Because these politicians like Pelosi are beholden to their donors they dont support ridiculously popular legislation like Medicare for all, purely because it would inconvenience their donors

Saying Pelosi is invaluable is diametrically opposed to the anti establishment sentiment of most of the country.

The only reason why were even talking about her being ousted is because the very colleagues you claim are invaluable are overwhelmingly supporting her opposition

Everything you expressed was captured as to why I said she was part of the problem. For connections with donors in Hollywood and elitists, I was speaking from the perspective of her House of Representative colleagues voting for her as the Minority Speaker of the House in November of 2016. The margin was 134 - 63 over Tim Ryan of Ohio (a younger progressive from a Midwest state).

Everything you expressed was captured as to why I said she was part of the problem. For connections with donors in Hollywood and elitists, I was speaking from the perspective of her House of Representative colleagues voting for her as the Minority Speaker of the House in November of 2016. The margin was 134 - 63 over Tim Ryan of Ohio (a younger progressive from a Midwest state).

What you're saying reminds me of the biggest problems with the Democrats. They're the SSOL Suns, the Pace and Space Sacramento Kings, The Stockton and Malone PnR. The Democrats are Steve Nash, Phillip Rivers, Charles Barkley. They know how to play and are fucking great at it but they don't know how to win. Republicans know how to win. Democrats have all the right idea but the wrong execution. Of course it would probably be better to have a young progressive in there instead of Pelosi but trust me that Republicans know that.

Democrats spend too much time and energy focusing on doing shit the right way instead of just winning. Then they whine and bitch because although some things are good they can be better. It's not about being better. It's about winning. Republicans play to win and Democrats play for the love of the game.

What you're saying reminds me of the biggest problems with the Democrats. They're the SSOL Suns, the Pace and Space Sacramento Kings, The Stockton and Malone PnR. The Democrats are Steve Nash, Phillip Rivers, Charles Barkley. They know how to play and are fucking great at it but they don't know how to win. Republicans know how to win. Democrats have all the right idea but the wrong execution. Of course it would probably be better to have a young progressive in there instead of Pelosi but trust me that Republicans know that.

Democrats spend too much time and energy focusing on doing shit the right way instead of just winning. Then they whine and bitch because although some things are good they can be better. It's not about being better. It's about winning. Republicans play to win and Democrats play for the love of the game.

And it's been like this for as long as I can remember.

They can't seem to register that it doesnt make sense trying to straight up box a fair one when your opponent consistently brings a fuckin bat to every fight yall have.. lol. Dems are playing by one set of rules... Republicans are playing by another

The GOP stay on some get down or lay down shit and constantly do it because they know the Dems' response won't be enough to stop they hustle

They can't seem to register that it doesnt make sense trying to straight up box a fair one when your opponent consistently brings a fuckin bat to every fight yall have.. lol. Dems are playing by one set of rules... Republicans are playing by another

Every time the GOP pulls a gangsta move, its kind of frustrating to see the Dems come out with nothing but a wordy tweet or speech saying "This decision is irresponsible and tears at the moral fabric of our democracy" or some words to that effect

Every time the GOP pulls a gangsta move, its kind of frustrating to see the Dems come out with nothing but a wordy tweet or speech saying "This decision is irresponsible and tears at the moral fabric of our democracy" or some words to that effect

lol and republicans just hit them with the

JbWCmCL.png

"The fuck you gon do about it" face

I respect the shooter- Jay-Z

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-i...their-policies-are-destroying-innocent-lives/

Trump Slams Democrats Over Mollie Tibbetts Death: Their Policies Are ‘Spilling Very Innocent Blood’

Speaking at an Ohio Republican State Party fundraiser in Columbus Friday evening, President Donald Trump invoked the death of Mollie Tibbetts to slam Democrats on immigration.

Shortly after saying the Republican party “stands strongly behind ICE,” Trump then brought up how “they charged an illegal alien in the murder of a college student Mollie Tibbetts.

“Everybody loved her. Everybody that met her loved her,” Trump said. “And the father was saying she’s coming back, she’s coming back… This went on for a long time. When they found out that it was this horrible, illegal immigrant that viciously killed her, all of a sudden that story went down. They didn’t want to cover it the way it should have been covered. But what happened to Mollie was a disgrace.”

He added “Our hearts go out. We mourn for Mollie’s family.”

Tibbetts family has said publicly they do not want her death politicized.

Yet, Trump did not stop at Tibbetts’ tragedy to make his point.

He then mentioned the death of an elderly homeless woman in New York City who was allegedly beaten to death by an undocumented immigrant who Trump said “was not supposed to be in this country” and a rape of a young child in the “sanctuary city” of Philadelphia also allegedly at the hands of an illegal immigrant.

“Democrat immigration policies are destroying innocent lives and spilling very innocent blood,” he concluded. “We believe that any party that puts criminal aliens before American citizens should be voted out of office, not into office.”

The audience applauded.

And father

I legit cant respect a man that dont defend his wife from attacks and sucks up to the dude that did them. I had to kinda check my momma over my wife and she didnt even say anything bad. I just let her know that this is my wife and no disrespect big or small will be said in or out my presence. Especially by a family member

His bloodline is tainted to the fullest.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/403551-pres-trump-suggests-boycott-of-cbs-espn-over-national-anthem

Trump rips CBS, ESPN over decision not to broadcast national anthem

President Trump ripped CBS and ESPN on Friday for deciding not to broadcast the playing of the national anthem before NFL games.

“We’re standing proudly for our great, beautiful, wonderful national anthem, which CBS, I just heard they joined the crew, and ESPN have decided not to broadcast so they don’t have any controversy. Can you imagine that?" Trump said at Ohio's state Republican Party dinner. "They’re not going to broadcast the national anthem CBS and ESPN, how do we like that, is that good?”

“So that’s CBS and ESPN folks, enjoy your television,” he said sarcastically.

Trump's remarks come two days after Trump launched a petition to force ESPN to air the anthem.

“I’m calling on you to join me in denouncing this SPINELESS surrender to the politically correct liberal mob,” Trump's petition reads. “I was the first person to sign this petition. Now I need you to follow my lead and be the second."

Trump has repeatedly criticized NFL players for kneeling during the national anthem as a demonstration against systemic racism and police brutality toward black men.

“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now. Out! He’s fired. He’s fired!’” he said at a rally last fall.

Trump renewed those attacks earlier this month, writing on Twitter, " … A football game, that fans are paying soooo much money to watch and enjoy, is no place to protest. Most of that money goes to the players anyway. Find another way to protest. Stand proudly for your National Anthem or be Suspended Without Pay!"

I legit cant respect a man that dont defend his wife from attacks and sucks up to the dude that did them. I had to kinda check my momma over my wife and she didnt even say anything bad. I just let her know that this is my wife and no disrespect big or small will be said in or out my presence. Especially by a family member

His bloodline is tainted to the fullest.

Ted Cruz pee sitting down

CHANG: So let me just begin by asking you what exactly is the Justice Department's position on indicting a sitting president?

LACOVARA: The Justice Department has taken the position twice that the president is not subject to indictment while in office and that no criminal charges can proceed against him unless he's either removed from office by impeachment or has served out his term.

CHANG: And just to be clear, as a constitutional matter, it's still unresolved whether a sitting president can be indicted, right? This is just a choice the Justice Department made.

LACOVARA: That's right. In the Watergate investigation, we examined that issue quite carefully and reached the conclusion that there is no constitutional bar to indicting a sitting president. It's a matter of discretion whether to file such charges. But the issue is still unresolved because, neither in Watergate, nor in the Clinton years, did any prosecutors press the issue.

CHANG: So why did the Justice Department decide to adopt this categorical policy - not leave it to the department's discretion, but just decide, in all cases, the president - a sitting president should never be indicted?

LACOVARA: They have two basic themes. One is a kind of abstract constitutional theory. Indeed, it's one that the current Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh seems to accept, and that's the so-called unitary executive theory.

CHANG: Tease that out for me.

LACOVARA: It's the notion that all law enforcement resides in the president and that everybody else in the executive branch, including prosecutors, is essentially irrelevant. And the president, therefore, would in effect be prosecuting himself. And they think that that's a bizarre conundrum which the Constitution shouldn't allow.

CHANG: A very expansive view of executive power.

LACOVARA: It is. The other theory is a practical one, and that is that it would be too much of a distraction from the president's important duties as chief executive to force him to defend himself in court.

That argument the Justice Department continues to adhere to, even though in the Paula Jones case, the Supreme Court unanimously rejected the exact same argument when President Clinton argued that he shouldn't be allowed to be dragged into court.

CHANG: OK. So while a president is in office, it sounds like it's department policy not to indict him or her. But once the president leaves office, all bets are off.

LACOVARA: All bets are off, indeed. There's only one practical problem that might arise, and that's the statute of limitations.

CHANG: Right.

LACOVARA: For most offenses - federal offenses, there's a five-year statute of limitations. President Trump has already announced that he is running for re-election in 2020. And if he were to be re-elected, his term would not expire until January of 2025, by which time any responsibility for things that he did during the campaign or any obstruction of justice that he may have committed during or preceding the Mueller investigation would be time-barred. And so he would escape culpability entirely.

Back