Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official World Politics Thread

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/va-purging-career-staff-disloyalty

Report: VA Purging, Reassigning Career Employees Suspected Of Disloyalty

The Department of Veterans Affairs is carrying out politically motivated reassignments of career staffers ahead of the confirmation of Trump-appointed Secretary Robert Wilkie, the Washington Post reported Wednesday, demoting more than a dozen long-serving officials because of their perceived political loyalties.

The reassigned workers said they were not given a reason for the move, and others at the department told the Post that they fear the troubled agency will lose institutional knowledge.

A bill passed by Congress in 2017 was intended to make it easier for the VA to oust senior officials accused of serious wrongdoing, but it has in practice led to a mass purge of rank-and-file employees for minor infractions.

Whistleblower advocates and federal worker unions have characterized these purges as part of the Trump administration’s broader effort to politicize the non-partisan civilian workforce. At the VA in particular, this trend has coincided with the ouster of people opposed to the privatization of the public health system that serves millions of U.S. veterans. After President Trump fired VA Secretary David Shulkin in March, Shulkin wrote in a New York Times op-ed: “They saw me as an obstacle to privatization who had to be removed.”

Organizations that work with VA rank-and-file employees say they see this pattern playing out across the agency.

“They’re moving in people who want to privatize. If you’re opposed to that and you speak up, you’re probably on the chopping table,” Ward Morrow with the American Federation of Government Employees told TPM. “It really is retaliatory, whatever they’re doing.”

[URL]https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-now-says-he-holds-putin-responsible-for-election-meddling-hes-in-charge-of-the-country/[/URL]

Trump Now Says He Holds Putin Responsible for Election Meddling: ‘He’s in Charge of the Country’

In an interview airing Wednesday evening, President Donald Trump told CBS that he holds Russian President Vladimir Putin responsible for Russian election meddling because “he’s in charge of the country.”

The president’s comments were part of an interview with Jeff Glor for CBS Evening News.

According to a short clip of the interview just released, Trump said that he holds Putin personally responsible “because he’s in charge of the country. Just like I consider myself to be responsible for things that happen in this country.”

Trump also claimed he told the Russian leader that “we can’t have meddling.”

“I let him know we can’t have this, we’re not going to have it, and that’s the way it’s going to be,” Trump claimed.

Trump’s comments come as controversy continues to swirl and stories continue to shift over his “would/wouldn’t” remarks in Helsinki that appeared to take Putin’s side on Russian election meddling during the joint press conference with Putin as well as his comment earlier Wednesday when appeared to answer “no” to a question from reporters asking if Russia was still targeting the United States.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/us/charlotte-republican-national-convention-2020.html

Charlotte Reluctantly Says It’s Willing to Host Republican National Convention

Through hours of public debate and a razor-close council vote on Monday, Charlotte, N.C., a city that prides itself on being a beacon of progress in the South, grappled with how to live up to its values. Should it be a haven for free speech and diverse ideas, or take a stand against a strain of politics that many residents bitterly oppose?

At issue: whether to host the Republican National Convention in 2020.

To civic boosters and business leaders in a striving city, a political convention can look like a golden ticket, promising crammed restaurants, booked-out hotels and, perhaps most important, several days in the global spotlight.

But the leaders of North Carolina’s largest city found on Monday that they and their constituents were sharply divided on whether Charlotte ought to host this particular convention, which will presumably decide whether to nominate President Trump for re-election.

The reluctance had little to do with the complex logistical and security challenges surrounding a convention, or any doubts about whether Charlotte was capable of meeting them. It was mostly about whether a Democratic-leaning city with a carefully cultivated reputation wanted to associate itself with what Mr. Trump and many in his party now stand for.

“I’d no sooner bring Donald Trump and the R.N.C. to Charlotte, to the home that I chose and love, where my wife and I are raising our black son, any sooner than I would support a Klan rally in this city,” said Justin Harlow, a Democratic member of the City Council.

Mayor Vi Lyles, a Democrat who championed the city’s convention bid, insisted that “hosting the R.N.C. is not an endorsement of the administration,” and argued that holding the gathering in Charlotte would offer “an opportunity to share the values that this city believes in — through peaceful protest.”

The mayor and other city leaders have been jockeying for months to win the convention, which would come eight years after Democrats gathered in the city to nominate President Barack Obama for a second term. Many political and business leaders argued that being chosen for 2020 would be vital to Charlotte’s continuing emergence as a leading American city, a point they made repeatedly on Monday.

“Denying the R.N.C. the opportunity sends the same message of exclusion and divisiveness — we don’t want you because we don’t agree with you — that we’re all trying to eliminate not only in Charlotte, but across the country and the world,” said Vinay Patel, a Charlotte hotelier.

The Republican Party has not yet voted to award the 2020 convention to Charlotte, but it may do so this week during a meeting in Austin, Tex. The only other contender appears to be Las Vegas, whose bid was put forward without the support of the local government.

The Charlotte City Council’s meeting on Monday was held to vote on certain contracts connected with its bid, and it was intended to signal to the Republicans that they would be welcome in North Carolina. The party may not have received much reassurance, though: The vote in favor was just 6-5.

The Republican National Committee did not respond to requests for comment on Monday, but Dallas Woodhouse, the executive director of the North Carolina Republican Party, welcomed the outcome of Monday’s vote, tight as it was, and predicted that “delegates will have a great time and see a great city.”

“Any big city that’s going to host a convention is going to have some debate,” Mr. Woodhouse said. “The fact is — it’s just a reality — that more of the big cities in America are governed by Democrats.”

The public comment period before the vote brought an outpouring of arguments. Nearly 100 people spoke, slightly more than half in support of the city’s bid.

Many of the supporters emphasized the economic rewards from a national convention, an argument with particular appeal in a city that once advertised itself as “a good place to make money.” Others argued that Charlotte, a city of about 860,000 people that has elected both Democrats and Republicans to citywide office in recent years, had an obligation to remain a marketplace for political debate.

The fact that Mr. Trump would be the expected star of the show was no reason, they argued, to pass up millions of dollars in business and priceless publicity.

Charlotte’s generally favorable weather, well-connected airport and glimmering city center have helped it build a reputation as a reliably sturdy site for major gatherings, leaving some city leaders stunned by the heated opposition to hosting the convention.

“A ‘no’ vote does not hurt nor impact the president,” Kenny Smith, a Republican former member of the City Council, warned during the meeting on Monday. “It only hurts the city you have sworn to represent, both in terms of substantial lost economic opportunity and, more importantly, self-induced reputational harm for not keeping your word.”

But the council heard from nearly as many opponents as supporters.

“Far too many people have chosen to excuse or overlook this dangerous campaign, because doing so gets them things they want: Supreme Court justices, tax cuts, power,” Pamela Grundy said of Mr. Trump and his policies since taking office. “We in Charlotte are now faced with the same choice, the same opportunity to demonstrate where our priorities truly lie. We must refuse.

“Republicans have a place in our city like everyone else,” she said. “The 2020 Republican National Convention does not.”

The comment period remained notably civil, though it was laced with vehement opinions from the outset. “It is time for us to stand up, and against the oppressive, the xenophobic, the hateful that is this nation,” said Ray McKinnon, the afternoon’s first speaker.

Democrats have narrowed their list of 2020 convention candidates to Houston, Miami Beach and Milwaukee, and appear to have run into less resistance than Republicans have in Charlotte.

Mr. Harlow, the city councilman, said it was “important to ask why no other local government in America is bidding on this convention.”

Since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, many cities have grown wary of hosting national conventions, with the security demands they entail. But the reservations about the 2020 Republican convention have been particularly pointed, in part because of the likelihood of large street protests against Mr. Trump.

Pat McCrory, a Republican who was Charlotte’s mayor for 14 years, said left-wing activists were to blame for any difficulties the party has in arranging a convention site.

“I think there’s a great deal of political pressure from the fringes, from the far left of the Democratic Party, to show absolutely no cooperation with the Republican Party and our president,” Mr. McCrory, also a former governor of North Carolina, said in an interview after the vote. “Any sign of support can be seen as a political suicide from the political left wing.”

On Monday, though, four Charlotte Democrats on the council voted along with the two Republican members to support holding the Republican convention in their city.

“It just feels like we’re constantly fighting over toll roads, over nondiscrimination ordinances, over Black Lives Matter, over immigrants’ rights, over a lot of things, and I know that we’ll continue to have fights,” said Julie Eiselt, the mayor pro tem. “But the only time we move forward, like we’ve seen with housing, is when we say, ‘Let’s work together.’”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/rnc-2020/article214823895.html

Charlotte backs RNC bid after contentious meeting. Here’s what’s next.

After a 3 1/2-hour debate, Charlotte City Council narrowly voted Monday to support hosting the 2020 Republican National Convention.

With their vote in favor of allowing the city manager to negotiate contracts with the Republican National Committee and the local host committee, city leaders expect to win the convention this week. The RNC site selection committee will make its decision at a vote in Austin, Texas.

The final City Council vote was 6-5. Council members debated whether Charlotte could host President Donald Trump without endorsing him and his administration’s controversial policies, but they ultimately decided that the potential benefits outweigh risks to the city.

Democrat Larken Egleston, who represents District 1, had been publicly undecided before the vote. He cast the deciding vote in favor of hosting the GOP.

“I will not combat the disappointing characteristics of this president by emulating them,” Egleston said. “Hosting the RNC in Charlotte in no way implies our endorsement of this president.”

The yes votes were Republicans Ed Driggs and Tariq Bokhari, and Democrats Egleston, Julie Eiselt, Greg Phipps and James Mitchell.

The no votes were Democrats Justin Harlow, Braxton Winston, Dimple Ajmera, LaWana Mayfield and Matt Newton.

“This president is dangerous,” said Harlow. “I’d no sooner bring Donald Trump to Charlotte . . . than I’d welcome a Klan rally to Charlotte.”

Democratic Mayor Vi Lyles, who championed the bid, said leading the effort was “the most difficult decision of my career.”

After the meeting, she reaffirmed her earlier position that she would not give a welcoming address. It’s common practice for a host city mayor to welcome delegates, even of the opposing party.

She said after the meeting she would fly to Austin this week if Charlotte wins the convention.

Several RNC members and other Republicans heading to Austin for the committee’s summer meeting, which runs Wednesday to Friday, shrugged off the dissent before the vote. They said the momentum continued to be with Charlotte, though they cautioned that nothing is yet a done deal.

“I think that’s just a lot of people that like to stir up something that’s not there,” said Steve Scheffler, a Republican National Committee member from Iowa, speaking broadly about the prospect of Democratic pushback.

After the council vote, one RNC member familiar with the site selection process said: “I am personally pleased and look forward to advocating to fellow RNC members that we hold our 2020 convention in Charlotte.”

The official was granted anonymity in order to share internal thinking, upon hearing the news of the City Council vote.

Mark Brody, one of North Carolina’s two members of the Republican National Committee, watched the hearing from the lobby of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center.

Asked if he was concerned about the calls to not have the convention, he said, “To the extent I’m concerned, there’s much more vitriol against the Republicans than we saw in Cleveland (in 2016).”

Las Vegas, the only other location officially still in the running, doesn’t have the backing of the city or tourism officials there for its bid. The chairman of the Nevada GOP, Michael McDonald, has been pushing for Las Vegas to host the convention.

“Why aren’t other cities clamoring for this?” asked Charlotte speaker Naomi Brezi, who opposes the convention.

Supporters said the convention would boost Charlotte’s image and help the local economy, especially hospitality workers. They also said the city could show it’s inclusive.

“Democracy is bigger than one president or one party,” said Phipps, in explaining his yes vote.

Driggs said it would set a dangerous precedent for the city to reject the RNC because of the president.

“At a difficult time, we need to respect those institutions,” he said.

Others said that they would be OK with supporting another RNC but couldn’t stomach hosting the likely renomination of Trump.

“I don’t see him as a Republican, I see him as a human avatar of white supremacy,” Winston said.

Mayfield said the economic boost wouldn’t be worth it.

“You have to realize at some point that blood money is no good,” she said. “I’m still black, female and gay. There is nothing about this administration that tells me I’m wanted in my own country.”

Deep divisions

Speakers before the vote were almost evenly split. Opponents said they were incredulous that a Democratic mayor and 9-2 majority on City Council would welcome the Republican Party’s convention.

They pointed to Trump administration policies, such as separating families at the southern border with Mexico, and said the convention would risk drawing major protests and civil unrest, potentially canceling out any economic benefits.

Those who spoke in favor of the convention — including hotel owners, Republican activists and taxi cab owners — emphasized the expected boost to local business the convention would bring.

The speakers ranged from local politicians and activists to business owners.

Former City Council member Kenny Smith urged council members to support the convention.

“A no vote does not hurt or impact the president,” he said. He said a no vote would cause “self-induced reputational harm for not keeping your word.”

Hotel owner Vinay Patel said council members should support the GOP, which he said would boost the city’s hospitality industry.

“I ask you to commit to being an inclusive city,” he said.

Malcolm Graham, a former Democratic City Council member, said before the meeting that the city “has a moral obligation to say no” to the RNC.

Graham, who also had served in the state Senate, said a vote for hosting the GOP “equates to silence.”

Democratic activist Ray McKinnon, a pastor, said he’s opposed to the city receiving a federal security grant for the convention because it would lead to what he said is an “over-militarization” of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police.

“We didn’t vote for Democrats so they could roll over,” he said. “It’s time to say no to the bullies.”

He also warned Democrats who vote for the convention that they could face primary challenges in the next city elections.

“If they don’t say no . . . there’s an election upcoming, and we will say no,” McKinnon said. “That’s a reality check
.”

A smaller group of demonstrators in red “Make America Great Again” hats gathered outside the Government Center. Inside, some pro-RNC signs were visible, including one in Spanish that read “Yo Quiero RNC 2020 in CLT.”

Charlotte Democratic City Council member Braxton Winston said the city needs to slow down and have a dialogue about the merits of hosting the 2020 Republican National Convention, which could be awarded to Charlotte this month.

After the vote, Republicans applauded City Council.

“We are appreciative of the mayor and City Council’s effort and their vote,” said Dallas Woodhouse, executive director of the state GOP. “We have no way of knowing exactly what will happen in Austin, but this was obviously a necessary step.”

Back