Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official MCU Thread

This whole video can be boiled down to "The character work was better in the first three phases." That's true. That's not what MJ DOOM was saying.

I’m not even going to put the mask back on for this ignorance. Search the posts. Peace and light.

This whole video can be boiled down to "The character work was better in the first three phases." That's true. That's not what MJ DOOM was saying.

And that's 100% spot on. There was way more character development in the first 3 phases. We went nearly the entire Incredible Hulk flick without Banner changing, it was all character development up to the point where he finally changed on the foot bridge. The majority of Thor was him stripped of his power and unable to be "Thor".

Marvel has gotten really lazy in their movie writing. A lesser degree in the shows, but still a bit lazy there as well.

MCU was feeling themselves and thought they could put out anything and it caught up to them.

Yeah, it's a little of that, but I think they just didn't grasp what people liked about their movies.

For example, the glue holding all the movies together in the first three phases was better than what they got going on now. Ironman introduced the idea of the Avengers. All the movies directly following fed into that. Then we got a big payoff with the Avengers, which introduced Thanos and the Infinity Stones. Most movies fed into or at least hinted at the looming threat, then we got a huge payoff with Infinity War and Endgame.

This new phase has been scatterbrained. A lot of stuff isn't connected well, so people really feel like they can skip out on half the shit. The thing that is supposed to connect everything is the concept of the multiverse, but they haven't really stuck the landing with that. We got the multiverse featured in Loki, Spiderman, Strange 2, The Marvels, and What If, and it feels different in each and every one of those examples. Like Loki introduces us to the TVA who monitor the multiverse, but somehow there's never any mention of what happens in Spiderman where the multiverse almost collapses in on itself? They did a lot better with managing details like that in the first phases, and everyone really liked that.

MCU was feeling themselves and thought they could put out anything and it caught up to them.

Basically. Shang Chi and The Eternals are my favorite movies from Phase 4 mainly because they still hold to the older MCU character development style. A lot of folks didn't like The Eternals 'cause it was too cerebral, too much talking, etc but that's exactly the reasons I liked it. I was, however, pissed at the fact that they turned Phastos into a tubby butt ranger tho.

• Ether
Reactions: GNS
Basically. Shang Chi and The Eternals are my favorite movies from Phase 4 mainly because they still hold to the older MCU character development style. A lot of folks didn't like The Eternals 'cause it was too cerebral, too much talking, etc but that's exactly the reasons I liked it. I was, however, pissed at the fact that they turned Phastos into a tubby butt ranger tho.

So they're still doing it, seeing as those were the only 2 movies that introduced new characters

Everything else has been sequels

They didn't do a good job of the build up and then reveal of Kang like they did with Thanos

To be fair, Thanos was first shown at the end of The Avengers, which ended phase 1. We got a hint that he was coming as early as Thor tho. We got a statue of Kang at the end of Loki, but didn't get full-on Kang the Conqueror until Quantumania.

Eternals weaknessnsasnthst it lacked a good villian. They almost had one when thstndevis took a human form but they killed him of quick. Instead they went with the old onenotnisnis the bad guy ploy.

Eternals weaknessnsasnthst it lacked a good villian. They almost had one when thstndevis took a human form but they killed him of quick. Instead they went with the old onenotnisnis the bad guy ploy.

Yeah, I think I said as much in the Eternals thread. The deviant that evolved needed more of a story of its own. Kinda like Whiplash in Iron Man 2 in that way.

Back