The Official Loc Thread

Natty dread. Started them myself 3 years ago with 2 strand twists.
How often do y'all retwist? It's been 2 months since my last, think I'm gonna do it every 3 months..

good shit... does whatever you use just hold really good or do you not mind the new growth?

Reactions: Moonbabe
Had mine growing a lil over 8 years now.. I just twist it myself. After all this time I still haven't really found anything that really holds for a long time. Beezwax is a bit too heavy. I messed with different gels for a lil bit...

Lately I been rocking with this here
View attachment 21464

It's aite.. might hold for about a week or two before new growth and all that and I'll end up having to retwist depending on how busy I am. Never tried interlocking before but I've been told that holds for a good while

I've done interlocking for a few months but i didn't like how long it took for the stylist to do it. As far as products go:

This is my go to product. This product keeps locs in place and does not flake.
bfletcher__93217.1484980120.332.500.jpg

but now I use
900.jpg

This one holds very well but it does flake for me sometimes
yhst-88462588038071_2505_27881306802

Last edited:
Luckily I don’t have the concerns of having to keep them neat for lack of a better term anymore. So now I might get them twisted 1 every 4 to 5 months. I am letting them free form and twisting the married ones. Not myself. I have not been able to twist my own hair in over 10 years. Also I recommend buying aloe and shaving it in water and washing your hair with that. You will see the growth and immediately

Luckily I don’t have the concerns of having to keep them neat for lack of a better term anymore. So now I might get them twisted 1 every 4 to 5 months. I am letting them free form and twisting the married ones. Not myself. I have not been able to twist my own hair in over 10 years. Also I recommend buying aloe and shaving it in water and washing your hair with that. You will see the growth and immediately
Shave the aloe in water? What does that mean?

Reactions: Inori
Shave the aloe in water? What does that mean?

I was wondering the same...I thought if anything you would just take out the gel from the plant and mix that with water. Never tried it before but my relatives with locks say it's great for your hair

That shit takes a min to wash out. I only do aloe vera rinses about once every 6 months

That shit takes a min to wash out. I only do aloe vera rinses about once every 6 months

Word? I never really liked the smell of fresh aloe which is why I haven't tried it yet... same reason I only do an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse once or twice a year.

Reactions: Goldie 🔫💰
Yea they both stink, but I use coconut oil pretty much daily, so i never had hair odor

Reactions: Inori
Same here... I use this joint. Smells great
41MZhx7LonL._SY450_.jpg

Gotta make sure I wrap my hair up properly or use a dread hat before I go to bed otherwise id be fuckin up all sorts of pillowcases lol

Washed my locs today, thought I'd share some of the products I use.

20170415_115413.jpg

Castor oil
Castor oil shampoo
Coconut oil
African Raw Shea Butter Soap

Still using all of these. But now i got 3 super giant bottles of coconut oil that'll prolly last me 2 years.

I used to twist them myself, but its such a loooong process now. My cousin did them for me the last time, so i will book her again next month..
you got those tiny locs so I can understand that. I was forced to learn how to do mine own because of necessity and my job location. It takes me about 4-5 hours from wash, twist and dry.

@Inori I forgot to mention...you should never use beeswax. It clogs your follicles which stunts growth and is a collector of lint.

I have an issue with dry scalp only at the front of my scalp. It flakes up really bad when the sweat dries after a workout. I've used tea tree, carrot, olive, coconut, and peppermint oils. I've tried sea breeze, leave in shampoo, those cleanse scalp sprays, changed shampoos, blow dried my hair after a workout, and twist products and nothing.
Anybody have this issue? any suggestions would help.

@Inori I forgot to mention...you should never use beeswax. It clogs your follicles which stunts growth and is a collector of lint.

Word I tried it when I first started growing my locks and didn't like it very much. It didn't hold and it was just way too heavy if that makes sense.

With regards to twisting.. I always twist it myself and it usually takes me about 3 hours tops. I just pop on a movie and get to twisting. Usually sleep with the clips in and take em out in the morning.

I never really had any issues with flaking so I cant give too much insight on that. I used to put shea butter in my hair to keep it moisturised but coconut oil works a bit better for me personally

Just picked some aloe from the garden and im debating if I wanna use it before I twist my locks tonight. I might hold off.. dont really wanna smell like aloe going into work tomorrow lol

I have an issue with dry scalp only at the front of my scalp. It flakes up really bad when the sweat dries after a workout. I've used tea tree, carrot, olive, coconut, and peppermint oils. I've tried sea breeze, leave in shampoo, those cleanse scalp sprays, changed shampoos, blow dried my hair after a workout, and twist products and nothing.
Anybody have this issue? any suggestions would help.

Might wanna ask @Race Jones @OhMars @Judge Dread and the others who have twisted dreads. I never had an issue with that freeformin