Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official Gardening Thread

Picked my first tomatoes today, my days they are something else!!! They have a smokey, almost BBQ like taste to them, absolutely delicious!!!

I highly recommend growing these next season, they will spice up your salads for real, the variety is Grafted F1 Cherry Honeycomb if you are interested in giving them a try...

HUUyGk.jpg

On a downer, we got crazy winds down here atm and it must have taken out part of one of my beefsteak plants, as this morning I found it like this smh I hope it was just wind and not disease anyways...

hrhfSF.jpg

Last edited:
Picked my first tomatoes today, my days they are something else!!! They have a smokey, almost BBQ like taste to them, absolutely delicious!!!

I highly recommend growing these next season, they will spice up your salads for real, the variety is Grafted F1 Cherry Honeycomb if you are interested in giving them a try...

HUUyGk.jpg

On a downer, we got crazy winds down here atm and it must have taken out part of my one of my beefsteak plants, as this morning I found it like this smh I hope it was just wind and not disease anyways...

hrhfSF.jpg
Hiw do you get them to taste like that?

Nah my weed smoking days are long behind me lol

I dont know bro, Im not a great gardener by any means thats for sure lol I think those variety of tomatoes that generally have strange names like 'honey' and also different coloured tomatoes pack a different distinctive type of flavour that you can pick out... Also cherry tomatoes seem to grow alot quicker than normal sized ones, also due to their small size I guess they have a more powerful flavour too???

Also I tend to starve the plants of water, so when they start wilt then I water them, normally twice a week at the most... The main reason is so I dont kill them by overwatering them but I also heard that if you starve them of water before picking them it can make the flavour more intense as the fruit isnt full of water, which can dilute the taste...

Nah my weed smoking days are long behind me lol

I dont know bro, Im not a great gardener by any means thats for sure lol I think those variety of tomatoes that generally have strange names like 'honey' and also different coloured tomatoes pack a different distinctive type of flavour that you can pick out... Also cherry tomatoes seem to grow alot quicker than normal sized ones, also due to their small size I guess they have a more powerful flavour too???

Also I tend to starve the plants of water, so when they start wilt than I water them, normally twice a week at the most... The main reason is so I dont kill them by overwatering them but I also heard that if you starve them of water before picking them it can make the flavour more intense as the fruit isnt full of water, which can dilute the water...
Understood. Imma try that

Understood. Imma try that

I heard that if do that method, then plant the tomatoes really deep so you dont overwater it when you give it its really weekly or twice weekly water... Also so it has to search for the water when it dries up...

So I cut couple branches off the tomatoes cuts and planted a the stem a good few inches deep, so the leaves are almost touch the ground... Apparently that also makes the root system grow mad too...

Its all trial and error really, seems to be working atm...

With cucumbers Ive found the hard way its almost the opposite, they need tons more water than tomatoes and if you dont water enough they taste bitter, which I guess makes sense as you want juicy watery cukes... I planted mine deep like a tomato plant too, which youre not suppose apparently as it can cause root root??? Thankfully it seems to be OK at moment, Ive had 6 decent cukes so far but Ive upped to giving it a good soak like it 3 times a week when its hot...

My garden has gone to shit mainly cuz I havent been home to tend to it.

I have this Litchi tomato plant that looks healthy as hell. Plenty of flowers but it wont bear fruit. I think the temp is too hot. I been giving it plant food, its been getting plenty of water but its just been too damn hot outside. Had the same issue with my regular tomatoes a lil while back.

Ima try an experiment this evening and when the sun sets put some ice cubes on the soil to see if it can bring the temp down enough for it to bear some fruit. Will try it for a couple days to see if it works. Cant hurt to try

My garden has gone to shit mainly cuz I havent been home to tend to it.

I have this Litchi tomato plant that looks healthy as hell. Plenty of flowers but it wont bear fruit. I think the temp is too hot. I been giving it plant food, its been getting plenty of water but its just been too damn hot outside. Had the same issue with my regular tomatoes a lil while back.

Ima try an experiment this evening and when the sun sets put some ice cubes on the soil to see if it can bring the temp down enough for it to bear some fruit. Will try it for a couple days to see if it works. Cant hurt to try
Wouldnā€™t that be too drastic a change?

A tomato plant with no fruit but flowers?
Sounds like a fine chick who canā€™t fšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I'm a gardener y'all!! My little update...
IMG_20230718_210241581.jpg
I can cut some more kale soon!
IMG_20230718_210254444.jpg
Fresno peppers coming...

IMG_20230718_210327400.jpg
Bell peppers popping...

IMG_20230718_210335533.jpg
Other bell pepper still tiny...šŸ˜‚

IMG_20230718_210343624.jpg IMG_20230718_210406475.jpg
Tomatoes coming...

IMG_20230718_210425627.jpg
Broccoli is almost ready...

IMG_20230718_210458095.jpg
Spinach still looks weird, but she's growing so I'll take it...

IMG_20230718_210351832.jpg
Idk what's going on with these green beans. I keep pruning off the dead leaves, but no beans yet.

I'm a gardener y'all!! My little update...
View attachment 1135784
I can cut some more kale soon!
View attachment 1135785
Fresno peppers coming...

View attachment 1135786
Bell peppers popping...

View attachment 1135787
Other bell pepper still tiny...šŸ˜‚

View attachment 1135788View attachment 1135789
Tomatoes coming...

View attachment 1135791
Broccoli is almost ready...

View attachment 1135792
Spinach still looks weird, but she's growing so I'll take it...

View attachment 1135793
Idk what's going on with these green beans. I keep pruning off the dead leaves, but no beans yet.

damn ya garden is looking good!

Do you see some lil heads growing on the brocolli? Like on the side? You might be able to get some more out of it once you chop off the middle one.

I'm not 100% but that spinach looks like it's going to seed

damn ya garden is looking good!

Do you see some lil heads growing on the brocolli? Like on the side? You might be able to get some more out of it once you chop off the middle one.

I'm not 100% but that spinach looks like it's going to seed
Not sure about the broccoli. Imma look at it tomorrow to see if I see anything.

That spinach has looked weird since I planted it. I think it was too hot to try and grow it. I read the idea temperature to grow is 60-75 degrees...

Not sure about the broccoli. Imma look at it tomorrow to see if I see anything.

That spinach has looked weird since I planted it. I think it was too hot to try and grow it. I read the idea temperature to grow is 60-75 degrees...

maybe snip off the lil seed looking parts and see what happens. Maybe the lil ice experiment im trying could work for your spinach too!

I just googled it and it looks like they call whats happening to your spinach "bolting" which seems to be the same as going to seed or flowering. Might make the leaves bitter

maybe snip off the lil seed looking parts and see what happens. Maybe the lil ice experiment im trying could work for your spinach too!

I just googled it and it looks like they call whats happening to your spinach "bolting" which seems to be the same as going to seed or flowering. Might make the leaves bitter
I'll cut it and try the ice and see what happens.

Back