Welcome To aBlackWeb

The Official 2022/2023 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do what's best for you rashie. Say goodbye to ketchup and eggs and bonjour to
omelette-dexter-laboratory.gif

I was expecting the narrator to use "fraudiola" but alas anyways....

From 2015/16 to 2019/20 (5 seasons), although to be fair to Pep the individual he only joined City officially in 16/17, but the majority of Man City spend is still on his watch:

TM-graphic-Sports-Prem.jpg

Pep inherited a club in 2016/17 that finished 4th in the league the previous season under Pellegrini and made it to the semi-finals of the champions league.

The squad already consisted of key players such as Kompany, Fernandinho, Sterling, Aguero, de Bruyne, David Silva, Yaya Toure.
All considered top players by any standard in the premier league for their respective positions.

Comparing like for like time periods on net spend:

ac-guardiola-klopp-wages-table.jpg

Pep has almost double the net spend compared to Klopp!
So whilst Pep has won 4 of the last 5 titles (2017/18 - 2021/22) to Klopp's only 1, he's only gotten to the champions league final once and still didn't even win it, whereas Liverpool have reached the final three times with 1 win.

This is why Klopp is for me the overall better manager over Pep given the fact he's been just as competitive over the last couple of seasons without the same financial power, plus his rebuild job of Liverpool was far greater a task than Pep had to do ever do at Man City.

Pep is still a top coach but I need to see him oversee a proper rebuild of a club with a degree of balancing the books to do it, as he inherited top squads from Barca (Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Eto'o, Henry, Yaya Toure) and Bayern (Neuer, Boateng, Lahm, Alaba, ribery, robben, Muller, kroos, mandzukic). So the odds have always been stacked in his favor to be a "football philosopher"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back