Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY The Master Race (All Things PC Gaming)

4k. I also want to be able to play games and have around 5 windows open with over 100 tabs total (though I use that tab sleep feature on edge) while downloading and uploading numerous things at the same time. I'll likely keep the PC on for a couple weeks at a time too. Though I may just end up buying a dedicated seedbox
Yeeeeeeeah

Dis a lot lol

I'm not gonna count ya pockets but this could get really expensive

My guy you doing the most but its possible. You basically just want the lastest of everything at this point. unless your willing to give on the 4k gaming or the hundred tabs, prepare to spend 2k.

now if you was willing to do with a little bit less, then I could maybe make some suggestions but as of right now, spend or regret it.
Is that a max of 2k or starting at 2k?

So is now not a good time to buy or build a PC?
imho, no

but let me clarify, if you know for sure you are getting a PC, then i wo uld definitely take advantage of sales on games going on right now. Build up your library, and you can also base your specs around those games as well because you can see what they require and what parts are recommended to get the most of them.

the parts that have chips in them are in low supply and high demand, so if price is no object, then buy what you want.

So is now not a good time to buy or build a PC?

speculation I've seen said GPU prices (bulk of your cost) won't go down even after the supply chain issue is resolved. We've had issues due to scalpers and bit coin farming for a few years even before the supply chain started. If you go with an AMD card, you would definitely save a bit but I always rocked Nvidia. Nvidia is slated for a new 4x series card this fall so chances are high you can get a current gen 3090 or 3080ti either just below MSRP or right at it.

4k. I also want to be able to play games and have around 5 windows open with over 100 tabs total (though I use that tab sleep feature on edge) while downloading and uploading numerous things at the same time. I'll likely keep the PC on for a couple weeks at a time too. Though I may just end up buying a dedicated seedbox

you dont need to play games on PC in 4K. 1440P is the aim since that looks better than 4k you can get anywhere else and you are so close to the screen it wont matter. 1440P 144-165HZ is the Aim.

2k should get you in the top %5 of PC's

you dont need to play games on PC in 4K. 1440P is the aim since that looks better than 4k you can get anywhere else and you are so close to the screen it wont matter. 1440P 144-165HZ is the Aim.

2k should get you in the top %5 of PC's

I have a 4k monitor and a 1440p 240hz monitor. trust when I say that running more fps is worth so much more than higher resolution. Only reason consoles been targeting higher resolutions last two cycles is because PC always been able to outpace them in the frames department. Also 4k resolution isn't the same on every game. Minecraft and Horizon Zero Dawn can both run at 4k but whose spending 2 grand to run Minecraft at 4k?

I've been wanting to overhaul my gaming rig for a while now but these video card prices are pissing me off. Do people even still use those joints to mine coins? I thought that shit was over. Like... your upfront costs plus energy costs seems like it would just make the ROI pointless.

I'm thinking it's just straight up gouging at this point because the retailers know they can get away with it now.

I'm surprised none of y'all smart asses @'d me to this thread..... All I do all day is sell computers

I've been wanting to overhaul my gaming rig for a while now but these video card prices are pissing me off. Do people even still use those joints to mine coins? I thought that shit was over. Like... your upfront costs plus energy costs seems like it would just make the ROI pointless.

I'm thinking it's just straight up gouging at this point because the retailers know they can get away with it now.
It is gouging and people are still using them to mine crypto

Only Best Buy sells GPU's for MSRP if you catch a drop and get lucky to checkout. Microcenter if you close to one is the 2nd closest to MSRP with slight markup. Everyone else gouging lol.

Hell, even Nvidia is gouging the prices. GTX 1080 was 600$ MSRP when it was released. the RTX 2080 was 799 MSRP. the xx80 series cards are supposed to be the standard with every card below it being suboptimal for the sake of saving sake. we not going back to 400-600 MSRP for the GPUs in the foreseeable future. also, the mining thing was only just beginning to be a problem when they released the 2080 cards. I got mine on black Friday by luck and I'm gonna ride it til either the 5 or 6series cards come out cause this shit is ridiculous.

I have 160GB of RAM on my main PC as well as a total of 32 physical cores spread across two processors. It allows me to do all of this along with running 2-3 VMs at the same time as well as play games. I never shut my pc's or laptops off ever unless I'm not going to be using them for an extended period of time (i.e. rigth now I have two desktops, two laptops, and a raspi 3 running right now and they've been on for weeks with the primary laptop being on for the last few months straight).

What you're describing is a workstation, like a Dell Precision (which is what I'm running) or HP Z-station. They allow for goo-gobs of ram (I can go up to 1TB of RAM), and usually two Xeon processors (I can upgrade to a pair of 20 core joints) and they sometimes have enough drive bays to use multiple drives in a RAID array. Slap a good GPU in it and you're good to go with what you want to do.

Hell, even Nvidia is gouging the prices. GTX 1080 was 600$ MSRP when it was released. the RTX 2080 was 799 MSRP. the xx80 series cards are supposed to be the standard with every card below it being suboptimal for the sake of saving sake. we not going back to 400-600 MSRP for the GPUs in the foreseeable future. also, the mining thing was only just beginning to be a problem when they released the 2080 cards. I got mine on black Friday by luck and I'm gonna ride it til either the 5 or 6series cards come out cause this shit is ridiculous.

bruh, mining been causing problems for high end GPU availability for at least a decade now.

That's why I run Quadro cards. Easier to get used they're typically far less than their GeForce equivalents (used pricing) plus, depending on the card, you can get something that wasn't even offered on the GeForce equivalent (i.e. my Quadro K6000 is equivalent to a GTX Titan Black, except I have 12GB and they never offered that much RAM on the Titan Black, only 6GB)

I have 160GB of RAM on my main PC as well as a total of 32 physical cores spread across two processors. It allows me to do all of this along with running 2-3 VMs at the same time as well as play games. I never shut my pc's or laptops off ever unless I'm not going to be using them for an extended period of time (i.e. rigth now I have two desktops, two laptops, and a raspi 3 running right now and they've been on for weeks with the primary laptop being on for the last few months straight).

What you're describing is a workstation, like a Dell Precision (which is what I'm running) or HP Z-station. They allow for goo-gobs of ram (I can go up to 1TB of RAM), and usually two Xeon processors (I can upgrade to a pair of 20 core joints) and they sometimes have enough drive bays to use multiple drives in a RAID array. Slap a good GPU in it and you're good to go with what you want to do.
What sort of stuff are you doing on those VMs?

Just wanted to add that different games run at different specs. Even if you could obtain 240fps on 4k in one game, doesnt mean you could do the same in others. so really if you looking for optimal gaming its best to see what kind of performance you get for something thats already out.

Question kind of off topic, but yall know a good site for Sims 4 mods?

What sort of stuff are you doing on those VMs?

some of everything.

I do all of my client work in VM's to keep my private shit separate from client shit. I can stand up pieces of a client's infrastructure when needed. For example, I have a 4 node Maria DB cluster, an OpenShift cluster with clustered GFS2 file servers, Win2012, 2016, and 2019 domain servers with Exchange and MSSQL servers, and a buttload of Linux shit.

Back