Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY The Master Race (All Things PC Gaming)

Why, tho?

Why not?

I need space and reliability over speed.

Simple power failures can corrupt SSD's, and out here damned near every thunderstorm, high wind conditions, or blizard means the very real chance of a power outage. Also, spinning disk doesn't just fail immediately unless it's been hit with a tremendous power surge. The majority of the time, when a hard disk is dying, you still have time to save your data. Even after dying, I've recovered data from supposedly dead disks with a handful of tricks. For an SSD, it either works or it doesn't, and when it doesn't, there really ain't shit you can do to recover your data.

Plus, there's cost: An 8TB disk drive can be had for as low as $120 or $175 for something approaching enterprise class. An 8TB SSD is going to be 2-3 times that much.

Why not?

I need space and reliability over speed.

Simple power failures can corrupt SSD's, and out here damned near every thunderstorm, high wind conditions, or blizard means the very real chance of a power outage. Also, spinning disk doesn't just fail immediately unless it's been hit with a tremendous power surge. The majority of the time, when a hard disk is dying, you still have time to save your data. Even after dying, I've recovered data from supposedly dead disks with a handful of tricks. For an SSD, it either works or it doesn't, and when it doesn't, there really ain't shit you can do to recover your data.

Plus, there's cost: An 8TB disk drive can be had for as low as $120 or $175 for something approaching enterprise class. An 8TB SSD is going to be 2-3 times that much.
All great points, definitely on the reliability. I'm just curious now, what kind of speeds are you getting? What brand of HDD are you using? And wouldn't a UPS mitigate the power issue?

I figured it out

Windows updates too got damn much

I actually have 16 gb ram but only 8 is being used. Trying to resolve this now but I have to wait for the stupid updates to finish

Was able to up it to 12 but it keeps getting hung on a Windows update

I'm about to go to bed

Back