Welcome To aBlackWeb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lemme spoiler this due to length just in case.

*scratches head*

Wait...so what is "completion"? What does that look like? And how long do you think that takes?

Cuz let's see...

Turned JSU into dominant football program during his tenure...check

Back to back SWAC titles...check

Undefeated season along wit a winning record last season...check

Back to back Bowl appearances...check

Brought national attention to JSU and HBCU...check

Oh and JSU has the highest graduation rate in the SWAC. Which ties Ole Miss and Mississippi State.

Am I missing something? Lol!

And the hope is that he left JSU in the hands of someone he feels can carry on what he started. Essentially leaving them and other HBCU's the blueprint. Passing the baton to the next coach like a relay race mayne...
View attachment 971296

My main concern is for US to get more head coaching opportunities at these power 5 schools. I mean...isn't that something US black folks been tryin? Or should black coaches only relegate themselves to strictly HBCU's? Why can't we do both??

The history of the SEC....there's only been FIVE black headcoaches. None currently as we speak. Imo...that's the bigger picture for me, and something that requires more attention as well.

Except he didn't leave the team in good hands or a good situation. Players are leaving.

Like I said I'm not nuanced in all the context but if he connected the importance of HBCUs being successful to his coaching career then what he's doing is disappointing. And as a millionaire he's one of the few that could actually afford to stay with the HBCUs.

Unfortunate but congrats to him I guess. 🤷🏿‍♂️

He can. The problem is that he himself paired his coaching career with uplifting HBCUs, so it's expected that some people would see him moving on to a PWI as abandoning part of his expressed mission.

I think that’s the issue if he just ne we said that would be no issue. Same with Hov and the rappers who say they down for culture but really not. Idk man because I feel like adding that pro black stuff makes people expect more. But still

Anybody on here saying they wouldn't take a $29 Million deal over a 1Million...is lying 🙄.

That's the problem tho.

And he needs it less than anyone posting here. He been out the mud. Someone gotta lead the way and hold position. My pivot in his shoes would be to at least start a bidding war amongst the HBCU's. But I guess that's easier said than done

That's the problem tho.

And he needs it less than anyone posting here. He been out the mud. Someone gotta lead the way and hold position. My pivot in his shoes would be to at least start a bidding war amongst the HBCU's. But I guess that's easier said than done

So u saying he shouldn't have taken the offer because he wealthy already?

So u saying he shouldn't have taken the offer because he wealthy already?

I'm saying it's disappointing to see that the salary was his highest priority when he was in a better position than most to stay the course and keep uplifting HBCUs.

Niggas thought he was the Messiah like all the other hbcu’s wasnt still eating top ramen while snoop and all these high profile celebrities was “here i come, here i go’” all around JSU only. It was great publicity but it didn’t elevate hbcu as a whole, just one school and it became big fish in a small pond.

Good point because I didn’t see non five start recruits going anywhere but where Deion went so he would be stuck belaying all the HBCUs for the next decade and niggas still be mad.

HBCUs need to get games on TV (too bad we don't have a network of our own, thanks Bob). And find ways to market themselves to grow their brands.

Something like a hardknocks-type program for a basketball and football team that gets the players front and center as a recruitment tool.

If Deion could create this sort of momentum as 1 high-profile coach, then the entirety of the HBCU system should be able to do more than they presently are.

This shit is funny.

I've been looking for this book about the Conference of Negro and African Writers in 1956.

Basically, colonized Africans and Caribbean writers meet up with Black Americans to talk about how terrible White people are and how to move forward, culturally and politically emphasizing Africaness. This is about Negritude, Sedar Senghor and shit. James Baldwin is there and writes an account of this shit in an essay called Princes and Powers.

James Baldwin and the other Americans, are the great Richard Wright and John P. Davis who created the National Negro Congress like this, "This shit is fucking pointless."

The Americans are like, "These are actual African people from Black nations, why the fuck are we here?" It felt surreal to them, because people that looked like them were speaking Yoruba and talking about living in Africa.

John P. Davis looks like a White man and so you have like Africans walking up to him and being like, "Are you even Black?"

And John P. Davis is like, "I am Black by experience and choice." Africans asking Caribbeans, "How the fuck can you be Black by choice?" Caribbeans are like, "It's complicated, he looks like my uncle."

Writers from Senegal and Haiti living in Paris were like, "Maybe the French really ain't that bad."

Africans and Caribbeans looked at us and saw their future.

This is part of Black American history that Black Americans don't understand. Black Americans largely never been Pan-Africanist or internationalist because there's a disconnect between the rest of Black people because we were enslaved and a minority and there's nowhere else for us to go to that we can consider to be home. Marcus Garvey was West Indian after all, going between the USA, Jamaica and London.

We are the ultimate, final synthesis between the Old World and the New World. It our cultural achievement that links Africa to the West the most. Blues is essentially West African Sahel music in European form and from that came everything else.

We are the ultimate fusion of Africa, Europe and the Americas. Nobody can really relate to us because we were made in the image of White people but we can never be part of the world they created as is, but it is the only world we intimately know of. There is nothing within our cultural traditions that have not been influenced by European and White American culture or wasn't created under the gaze of White people or wasn't consumed by White people.

But of course now, due to brain drain, capitalism and colonization, many more Africans and Caribbeans are in the West, and are becoming what I call niggerized. Losing more and more of that African essence and becoming more like a Black American, a creation of White people and White institutions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back