Welcome To aBlackWeb

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a travel day for me.

back to switzerland and then onto the US in a week.

a nigga be all over

No I wouldn’t say that. The 80’s was it’s own fucked up monster. There was still dumb shit coming out in the years that followed but once MTV came on the scene it was over. All kinds of acts were rushing to make videos & take advantage of the new medium.

Are y'all talking about hiphop or other forms of music?

Because the 80's pretty much established the foundation of hiphop as a legitimate genre that was here to stay and not a fad.

All of these albums came out in the 80's:

Run DMC's first album cover.jpg

LL Cool J Radio album cover.jpg

LL Cool J BAD album cover.jpg

Eric B and Rakim Paid in Full cover.jpg

Boogie Down Productions Criminal Minded cover.jpg

Public Enemy Nations album cover.jpg

NWA Straight Outta Compton album cover.jpg

Big Daddy Kane Long Live the Kane album cover.jpg

EPMD Strictly Business album cover.jpg

EPMD Unfinished Business album cover.jpg

Without them, hip-hop probably wouldn't even be around today.

I’d say it’s the worst by default. Only cuz MTV help lead to over saturation of every damn genre.

Nah b. Hip Hop, House, and Techno all established their legitimacy in the 80's. RnB took it's first steps away from Black-only listeners, and a lot of stuff that folks in the hood would never have heard on "urban" radio got a chance at a new audience. There's a reason Black folks from my generation know who The Police, Duran Duran, Ah-Ha, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, etc are and have our favorite joints by them.

Sonically, the 80's was a time of experimentation like no other. Sampling was somewhat affordable thanks to E-mu and Ensoniq, analog and digital synths and drum machines brought whole new sound palettes and pulling it all together with MIDI sequencers created a whole new approach to making music.

Also, not everyone had cable back then either, so to say that MTV helped lead to saturation is a bit of a stretch. Payola from the record labels to the radio stations and the Telecommunications Act of 1996 which de-regulated radio so that companies could own more than one station in a given market did it. Because of that bill, Clear Channel, Ennis, Radio One, and a few other media companies were able to buy up every radio station and consolidate their playlists regionally as well as nationally. What's "hot" in every market is controlled not by the program directors and DJ's, but by corporate suits that create playlists based on who was paying them money to be included in the playlist.

^^^ This is what created saturation, not MTV.

Last edited:

Because the 80's pretty much established the foundation of hiphop as a legitimate genre that was here to stay and not a fad.

View attachment 36472

View attachment 36473

View attachment 36474

View attachment 36475

View attachment 36476

View attachment 36477

View attachment 36478

View attachment 36479

View attachment 36480

View attachment 36481

Yo DE, there is an entire thread/tournament in the record store to debate this

Go take a look at it and share your thoughts

@DOS_patos. Moving the conversation. Why do you think that a person has to be overly emotional when it comes to things. I have a bullet scar on my shoulder. Yes I was angry and yes there was retaliation but there just wasn’t a whole lot of child like reactions. Again just because you are angry doesn’t mean you have to yell, scream, curse talk about all you are going to do to the person. If you are going to do something just do it and there are a million ways to get your point across with out yelling and cursing. No one has ever been physically hurt by actual words only actual actions.

Nah b. Hip Hop, House, and Techno all established their legitimacy in the 80's. RnB took it's first steps away from Black-only listeners, and a lot of stuff that folks in the hood would never have heard on "urban" radio got a chance at a new audience. There's a reason Black folks from my generation know who The Police, Duran Duran, Ah-Ha, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, etc are and have our favorite joints by them.

Sonically, the 80's was a time of experimentation like no other. Sampling was somewhat affordable thanks to E-mu and Ensoniq, analog and digital synths and drum machines brought whole new sound palettes and pulling it all together with MIDI sequencers created a whole new approach to making music.

Also, not everyone had cable back then either, so to say that MTV helped lead to saturation is a bit of a stretch. Payola from the record labels to the radio stations and the Telecommunications Act of 1966 which de-regulated radio so that companies could own more than one station in a given market did it. Because of that bill, Clear Channel, Ennis, Radio One, and a few other media companies were able to buy up every radio station and consolidate their playlists regionally as well as nationally. What's "hot" in every market is controlled not by the program directors and DJ's, but by corporate suits that create playlists based on who was paying them money to be included in the playlist.

^^^ This is what created saturation, not MTV.

Yea, I see what you’re sayin. The radio monopoly definitely played a major role.

View attachment 36472

View attachment 36473

View attachment 36474

View attachment 36475

View attachment 36476

View attachment 36477

View attachment 36478

View attachment 36479

View attachment 36480

View attachment 36481

We were talking about music in general. There no denying hip hops foundation & greatest albums all started in the mid to late 80’s. I got a whole series devoted to this in the Record Store my nigga.

@DOS_patos. Moving the conversation. Why do you think that a person has to be overly emotional when it comes to things. I have a bullet scar on my shoulder. Yes I was angry and yes there was retaliation but there just wasn’t a whole lot of child like reactions. Again just because you are angry doesn’t mean you have to yell, scream, curse talk about all you are going to do to the person. If you are going to do something just do it and there are a million ways to get your point across with out yelling and cursing. No one has ever been physically hurt by actual words only actual actions.
bruh....i think you moved waaaay past the joke.

i am a very patient person....a very non combative person.

when i do shit like that...its for jokes.

your calm, mello thought out posts just seem funny to me. the post was a joke off of that.

kinda like if someone is always angry...ill fuck with them about why they dont smile more.

wasnt that serious bruh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back