Welcome To aBlackWeb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those are usually the really stupid ones, many of whom lose their jobs when reported, so again as ap said. Don't put too much stock into those comments.
I'm not talking bout the ones that lose their jobs tho, they are uncommon. but lots of shit like ppl expressing their prejudices is extremely, extremely common. luckily I vet ppl but I've seen folks on my timeline complaining about coworkers n family posting shit on their walls or circulating biased news n running with it.

that has spiked in this political climate. in this counter-PC time we're in, regular folks r feeling more confident voicing their aint-shit opinions.

Those are usually the really stupid ones, many of whom lose their jobs when reported, so again as ap said. Don't put too much stock into those comments.

this

but my point was mainly that even if its anon or you know their real name, they spew some of the most ignorant stuff

i dont look to either place to get informed or credible opinions on topics

this

but my point was mainly that even if its anon or you know their real name, they spew some of the most ignorant stuff

i dont look to either place to get informed or credible opinions on topics
nobody said to look @ it as an authority or source of news but to say it isn't a reflection of what more than a few ppl out there r thinking is disingenuous. unlike youtube comments, which attract either trolls or people who feel compelled to comment on specific shit, facebook is just a place for oversharing. it shldn't be grouped with faceless, anonymous platforms.

I'm not talking bout the ones that lose their jobs tho, they are uncommon. but lots of shit like ppl expressing their prejudices is extremely, extremely common. luckily I vet ppl but I've seen folks on my timeline complaining about coworkers n family posting shit on their walls or circulating biased news n running with it.

that has spiked in this political climate. in this counter-PC time we're in, regular folks r feeling more confident voicing their aint-shit opinions.
That's a result of people being echo chambers for the last few years, stupid opinions go unchecked and unchallenged. I find more often than not, that when they leave their echo chamber and espouse those views in a general setting they end up looking silly and sometimes they self examine, other times they just run to their echo chamber again to reassure themselves that they're right.

That's a result of people being echo chambers for the last few years, stupid opinions go unchecked and unchallenged. I find more often than not, that when they leave their echo chamber and espouse those views in a general setting they end up looking silly and sometimes they self examine, other times they just run to their echo chamber again to reassure themselves that they're right.
nah lol, the echo chambers r dwindling in recent yrs imo. especially white ppls.

I disagree, I think they've only gotten bigger. Reddit is full them (on every side of the political spectrum)
reddit is, again, an example of an anonymized arena and one with subreddits which may as well be their own forums. ppl gravitate toward them on common interests or topics. why do you think doxxing is such a big deal on reddit?

facebook is a diff story because the common link is real life connection. echo chambers get bigger in peer groups n friend groups yes, but facebook is intergenerational and can include folks u do not choose like family n workmates in the same space.

hence all the ppl talking bout "why am I seeing this on my timeline? guess I'm gonna have to delete a few of you...". it's become more appropriate for their uncle to rant about the queer agenda or their coworker to post something anti-immigration. even if they're a social justice warrior with similar friends.

in the simplest way that i can explain it

STAY TF AWAY FROM COMMENTS SECTIONS ON ANY SITE!!! lol

i only got to reddit for streams of sports and if im having trouble with a game to get some tips/pointers

I rarely rarely rarely read comments on youtube unless its a throwback video or something

I deleted facebook damn near 8 years ago and havent looked back since

I like twitter b/c i can curtail it to my preference, however, i still get exposed to other stuff other people that i follow RT on their timeline. Its not as bad as fb and youtube comments, but i can tolerate it better

never fucked with reddit, all my work sites keep it blcked, and a large majority of my web surfing is done on desktop

reddit is, again, an example of an anonymized arena and one with subreddits which may as well be their own forums. ppl gravitate toward them on common interests or topics. why do you think doxxing is such a big deal on reddit?

facebook is a diff story because the common link is real life connection. echo chambers get bigger in peer groups n friend groups yes, but facebook is intergenerational and can include folks u do not choose like family n workmates in the same space.

hence all the ppl talking bout "why am I seeing this on my timeline? guess I'm gonna have to delete a few of you...". it's become more appropriate for their uncle to rant about the queer agenda or their coworker to post something anti-immigration. even if they're a social justice warrior with similar friends.
It's the same thing, what do you think happens when you unfriend everybody with a dissenting opinion? Your feed becomes an echo chamber, only difference between FB/twitter and reddit is that you create the echo chamber on fb/twitter and on reddit you simply join one.

It's the same thing, what do you think happens when you unfriend everybody with a dissenting opinion? Your feed becomes an echo chamber, only difference between FB/twitter and reddit is that you create the echo chamber on fb/twitter and on reddit you simply join one.

a fight broke out between a friend n her brother yesterday cuz she posted on her timeline bout white privilege. he started talkin bout reverse racism n sayin the world's tryna silence him. aint too easy to unfriend immediate relatives, or bosses, or ppl ur SO refuses to un-invite from your upcoming wedding. it isn't the same thing because a lot of people are cowards about the real-life ramifications of removing the people with dissenting views from their facebook pages, because unlike with sites like reddit they're likely to be linked in other capacities.

a fight broke out between a friend n her brother yesterday cuz she posted on her timeline bout white privilege. he started talkin bout reverse racism n sayin the world's tryna silence him. aint too easy to unfriend immediate relatives, or bosses, or ppl ur SO refuses to un-invite from your upcoming wedding. it isn't the same thing because a lot of people are cowards about the real-life ramifications of removing the people with dissenting views from their facebook pages, because unlike with sites like reddit they're likely to be linked in other capacities.

how about deleting your fb account to get rid of that nonsense?

i mean, that is an option...no one is forcing you to remain on there

You're right some people are cowards about that deleting people but I doubt most people confident in their views are. There are other solutions besides deleting your profile, I don't have a fb but it's common on reddit for people to have alts, is it's not the same on fb?

You're right some people are cowards about that deleting people but I doubt most people confident in their views are. There are other solutions besides deleting your profile, I don't have a fb but it's common on reddit for people to have alts, is it's not the same on fb?
most ppl who have facebook profiles don't have fake accounts. the ones who do tend to be trolls or business pages.

i agree with u n that's why I'm not sympathetic to ppl who whine about their timelines, but seeing it play out is something else. wld u cut off family over anti-feminist comments joshua? n if u did delete a sibling over that, wld it accomplish much in reality? it wldn't be eliminating them from ur universe like it wld if u did the same act against someone u don't know IRL.
how about deleting your fb account to get rid of that nonsense?

i mean, that is an option...no one is forcing you to remain on there
I wasn't talking about my experience, I don't have these problems, but that's cool

i know a few people who are horrible at facebooking..

but each of those people were horrible at managing real life relationships prior to facebook too... it's just more visible now.....

i have a cousin in particular...she's been known for years as the crazy one who always geeking about some shit......

now that she has facebook, you're just constantly reminded

wld u cut off family over anti-feminist comments joshua? n if u did delete a sibling over that, wld it accomplish much in reality? it wldn't be eliminating them from ur universe like it wld if u did the same act against someone u don't know IRL.
I'd challenge their views but if I'm not getting through to them and they're super spammy with comments or articles then yeah, I'd just delete them. If they feel salty about it then it is what it is.

Untitled_zpsxd3a3vkk.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back