is wearing a bonnet outside ghetto?

• Yes

Votes: 42 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • On the fence

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters
Nope, and this was never a point raised either.

As I said earlier, it seems to me that folks wanna do whatever they wanna do without judgement, and that just ain't how the world works.
I absolutely hear you. I'm not disagreeing with that point. I'm saying...that judgment (when it's just based on clothes) usually don't turn into shit so it's not worth internalizing.

aye

someone needs to photoshop a bonnet on Tony

Scarface-Quotes-Bad-Guy.jpg

"you need people like me so you can point your fuckin fingers & say 'that's the bad guy'"

:hahaha:

Peep game, think about your grandparents time period, the twenty's thirty's forties think about your parents time period maybe fifties, sixties, seventies, and then yours... the influence of white folks on fashion and presentableness back then up until your parents later time period was strong even while there was a growing pride of black American sense of style and cultural awaking. So what they thought then did matter to black folks. Think Malcolm rocking the conk and him being told to wear it essentially natural instead of like the white man

But that's why I'm calling it the root circa grands and parents time and didn't reference it for the present and that being that the last 20 years

youre trying to reason with someone that hasnt read a book since rainbow fish

I don't think saying bonnets in public are tacky is a statement that is going against Black people or attacking Black people specifically.

Bonnets are in the same category as pajamas and slippers. They should not be worn outside of the house.

I don't think saying bonnets in public are tacky is a statement that is going against Black people or attacking Black people specifically.

Bonnets are in the same category as pajamas and slippers. They should not be worn outside of the house.
It’s really that simple.

And I’ll add, this is an opinion, and we’re all entitled to one.

I for one don’t think it’s tacky, but I’m more practical than most. I choose function over fashion usually.

I’d rock a du-rag back when I had hair if I needed my hair laid down when I reached my destination. It was the utility of it for me, and I think that’s why women wear the bonnets. That or it saves them the time of doing their hair, which also suggests it’s more about time savings or efficiency.

• Cap
Reactions: GNS
And I’ll add, this is an opinion, and we’re all entitled to one.

I for one don’t think it’s tacky, but I’m more practical than most. I choose function over fashion usually.

I’d rock a du-rag back when I had hair if I needed my hair laid down when I reached my destination. It was the utility of it for me, and I think that’s why women wear the bonnets. That or it saves them the time of doing their hair, which also suggests it’s more about time savings or efficiency.

The difference between du-rags and bonnets is that when you see a bonnet in public 9 times out of 10 the whole attire that person is wearing is sleepwear attire. When you see a bonnet you usually see pajamas, bedroom shirts, slippers.

Du-rags are worn mostly with the outfit. Weather it's work clothes and you have a du-rag on under a skully or if you have a du-rag on under a fitted like old school 50 Cent. Du-rags are more likely to be worn like scarfs as an accessory to the entire outfit. Now don't get me wrong, niggas still wear du-rags with pajamas and shit just like bonnets sometimes but very rarely do you see someone wearing a bonnet and they have a whole done up outfit on.

You're never gonna see women with bonnets on and a full face of makeup, nails, a dress, and heels. Chances are if she's wearing that bonnet she's wearing super casual clothes that border bedroom attire.

When you see a du-rag you're more than likely going to see some jeans, tennis shoes, maybe a fitted hat or skully, and some designer shirts worn with it.

The difference between du-rags and bonnets is that when you see a bonnet in public 9 times out of 10 the whole attire that person is wearing is sleepwear attire. When you see a bonnet you usually see pajamas, bedroom shirts, slippers.

Du-rags are worn mostly with the outfit. Weather it's work clothes and you have a du-rag on under a skully or if you have a du-rag on under a fitted like old school 50 Cent. Du-rags are more likely to be worn like scarfs as an accessory to the entire outfit. Now don't get me wrong, niggas still wear du-rags with pajamas and shit just like bonnets sometimes but very rarely do you see someone wearing a bonnet and they have a whole done up outfit on.

You're never gonna see women with bonnets on and a full face of makeup, nails, a dress, and heels. Chances are if she's wearing that bonnet she's wearing super casual clothes that border bedroom attire.

When you see a du-rag you're more than likely going to see some jeans, tennis shoes, maybe a fitted hat or skully, and some designer shirts worn with it.
Still though I'd say they are dressed like that for function and not fashion, which I'd agree is ok. I just don't put much stock into avoiding tackiness because I care more about comfort and utility.

Still though I'd say they are dressed like that for function and not fashion, which I'd agree is ok. I just don't put much stock into avoiding tackiness because I care more about comfort and utility.

I can guarantee you dress for utility 70% more than you dress for comfort or a combination of both.

I can guarantee you dress for utility 70% more than you dress for comfort or a combination of both.
Nah I have to put on clothes for work. If I could, I'd rock basketball shorts and a t-shirt to work too, lol. That would be my style of dress all the time if I could.

Only reason I put on real clothes outside of work is because my wife makes me, lol.

Y’all niggas sound like old washed ass parents from tha 70’s and 80’s...not parents from tha “hip-hop age”...don’t wear ya hair in cornrows...pull ya pants up...take off that beeper...why you wearing a Durag?!...only thugs get tattoos...etc etc...I expected shit like that from our parents because they were influenced by an era where comfort meant wearing suits and slacks and hard bottomed shoes...just to go to tha store or some shit...cuz that’s how musicians and actors dressed...

But we were raised in an era where we fought hard to be accepted for US...how we wanted to represent ourselves...and for me at least that took away that “tacky” shit because people started expressing themselves...FUCK what’s supposed to be “acceptable”

Bonnets are a form of fashion now...like it or love it and acting like it’s not being scrutinized because it’s mostly a “black thing” is being willfully ignorant

Ole “slick bottom shoes wearing ass at tha gas station” ass kneegrows smh lol

Y’all niggas sound like old washed ass parents from tha 70’s and 80’s...not parents from tha “hip-hop age”...don’t wear ya hair in cornrows...pull ya pants up...take off that beeper...why you wearing a Durag?!...only thugs get tattoos...etc etc...I expected shit like that from our parents because they were influenced by an era where comfort meant wearing suits and slacks and hard bottomed shoes...just to go to tha store or some shit...cuz that’s how musicians and actors dressed...

But we were raised in an era where we fought hard to be accepted for US...how we wanted to represent ourselves...and for me at least that took away that “tacky” shit because people started expressing themselves...FUCK what’s supposed to be “acceptable”

Bonnets are a form of fashion now...like it or love it and acting like it’s not being scrutinized because it’s mostly a “black thing” is being willfully ignorant

TALK TO EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jumping out of the bed in a bonnet and pajamas and walking out the house is definitely a form of expression. It's tacky and it shows bad hygiene but I'm a old negro if I don't think it's cool?

Jumping out of the bed in a bonnet and pajamas and walking out the house is definitely a form of expression. It's tacky and it shows bad hygiene but I'm a old negro if I don't think it's cool?

Where are y’all getting all these different added on scenarios from?? I’m talking about wearing a bonnet in public G...

“Waking up wit’ crust in your mouth, sleep all in your eyes and a shitty ass piece of toilet paper stuck to your pajamas while wearing a bonnet outside in tha public is bad hygiene!! It’s tacky!!”

Yeah...that is

But simply wearing a bonnet or a Durag in public equates to bad hygiene now?!

Yeah...y’all tripping

Back