Welcome To aBlackWeb

the bling, the women, the money' in rap music could explain Trump's increased appeal to some rappers and Black male voters

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
  • Former President Barack Obama weighed in on President Donald Trump's improved support in the 2020 election among Black male voters.
  • In an interview with The Atlantic, Obama said Trump's image in rap music explains some of the appeal.
  • "I have to remind myself that if you listen to rap music, it's all about the bling, the women, the money," Obama said.
  • "A lot of rap videos are using the same measures of what it means to be successful as Donald Trump is. Everything is gold-plated. That insinuates itself and seeps into the culture."
  • Obama added that he was surprised by Trump's rise, in part, because he doesn't "watch a lot of TV."

In an interview with The Atlantic, former President Barack Obama offered a theory on why President Donald Trump improved his support among Black men in the 2020 election compared to 2016.

According to NBC's exit poll over the past few elections, President-elect Joe Biden received the support of 80% of Black male voters, compared to 82% for Hillary Clinton in 2016 along with 95% and 87% for Obama in 2008 and 2012, respectively.

"It's interesting—people are writing about the fact that Trump increased his support among Black men [in the 2020 presidential election], and the occasional rapper who supported Trump," Obama said. "I have to remind myself that if you listen to rap music, it's all about the bling, the women, the money."

"A lot of rap videos are using the same measures of what it means to be successful as Donald Trump is," he continued. "Everything is gold-plated. That insinuates itself and seeps into the culture."

Recalling discussions with former First Lady Michelle Obama, the former president said their upbringing in middle class backgrounds meant they "weren't subject day-to-day to the sense that if you don't have this stuff then you are somehow not worthy."

"America has always had a caste system—rich and poor, not just racially but economically—but it wasn't in your face most of the time when I was growing up," Obama said. "Then you start seeing Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, that sense that either you've got it or you're a loser. And Donald Trump epitomizes that cultural movement that is deeply ingrained now in American culture."

Another reason Trump's rise caught Obama by surprise was his outsize presence on television, particularly stemming from his time hosting NBC's "The Apprentice."

"I think that indicates the power of television in the culture that sometimes I miss because I don't watch a lot of TV," Obama said. "I certainly don't watch reality shows."

"And sometimes I'd miss things that were phenomena. But I thought there was a shift there."

Obeezie wasn’t wrong. I remember when that fool Donnie Dumbass was picking up steam before the 2016 election.

He said the wildest shit I ever heard of for a POTUS candidate, but niggas got blinded to his celebrity status, and started the starfuckery back then.

Fast forward four years later. Anyone with halfway decent reading comprehension skills could’ve read through this bullshit ‘Platinum Plan’, realized it was empty, hallow, full of cap, and saw right through that as nothing more than pandering.

And some of those same starfuckers still continued with the starfuckery, and wanted to back-up Donnie Dipshit AGAIN. Sad, sad shit.

Last edited:
  • Former President Barack Obama weighed in on President Donald Trump's improved support in the 2020 election among Black male voters.
  • In an interview with The Atlantic, Obama said Trump's image in rap music explains some of the appeal.
  • "I have to remind myself that if you listen to rap music, it's all about the bling, the women, the money," Obama said.
  • "A lot of rap videos are using the same measures of what it means to be successful as Donald Trump is. Everything is gold-plated. That insinuates itself and seeps into the culture."
  • Obama added that he was surprised by Trump's rise, in part, because he doesn't "watch a lot of TV."

In an interview with The Atlantic, former President Barack Obama offered a theory on why President Donald Trump improved his support among Black men in the 2020 election compared to 2016.

According to NBC's exit poll over the past few elections, President-elect Joe Biden received the support of 80% of Black male voters, compared to 82% for Hillary Clinton in 2016 along with 95% and 87% for Obama in 2008 and 2012, respectively.

"It's interesting—people are writing about the fact that Trump increased his support among Black men [in the 2020 presidential election], and the occasional rapper who supported Trump," Obama said. "I have to remind myself that if you listen to rap music, it's all about the bling, the women, the money."

"A lot of rap videos are using the same measures of what it means to be successful as Donald Trump is," he continued. "Everything is gold-plated. That insinuates itself and seeps into the culture."

Recalling discussions with former First Lady Michelle Obama, the former president said their upbringing in middle class backgrounds meant they "weren't subject day-to-day to the sense that if you don't have this stuff then you are somehow not worthy."

"America has always had a caste system—rich and poor, not just racially but economically—but it wasn't in your face most of the time when I was growing up," Obama said. "Then you start seeing Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous, that sense that either you've got it or you're a loser. And Donald Trump epitomizes that cultural movement that is deeply ingrained now in American culture."

Another reason Trump's rise caught Obama by surprise was his outsize presence on television, particularly stemming from his time hosting NBC's "The Apprentice."

"I think that indicates the power of television in the culture that sometimes I miss because I don't watch a lot of TV," Obama said. "I certainly don't watch reality shows."

"And sometimes I'd miss things that were phenomena. But I thought there was a shift there."

It could be some niggas just conservative

Trump used fame, money, and women to attract black people.

Obama used his black skin, rappers, and basketball to attract black people.

Neither did a damn thing specifically for black people. Everytime you point a finger, two more point back at you.
What does this say about us

Neither did a damn thing specifically for black people. Everytime you point a finger, two more point back at you.
I can’t co-sign this. Obama actually did do some things for black people.

I respect the “My Brother’s Keeper” initiative, even if most black men never took it seriously.

$4 billion a year for HBCUs.

STARTING the unemployment dip for Black people while in office.

I don’t cape for Obeezie, but I do call a spade a spade. He did a lot more for black folk then people will admit. Of course, the black community standards wanted him to figure out how to eradicate police brutality and create new police reform. When he couldn’t do that, everything else he did didn’t seem like much.

Trump used fame, money, and women to attract black people.

Obama used his black skin, rappers, and basketball to attract black people.

Millions of working class, poor and under underprivileged black people now have healthcare thanks to Present Obama efforts,

But yet so many you refuse to acknowledge or see the importance of this fact, leads me to believe you really don't care about black people as much as you profess. I mean, you've convinced yourselves that you care, but in reality you only care about your chosen narrative.Which is "Obama did nothing for black people" and you care about the "branding" of "Specifically for black people". This is to marginalized and discredit the fact that with healthcare alone Obama has literally save millions of black lives over the years.And this is after he bastardized the policy to appease Republicans.
(Who don't even want you to have that)

Obama lowered the black unemployment rate,
Lowered the black uninsured rate,
Lowered the black incarnation rate,
Raised the black graduation rate,
Raised the black college-entry rate,
Lowered youth violence rates in the black community.

Fuck outta here.

All that is true, but putting things in perspective, Obama made things better for the country in general so black people naturally also did better on average. If you want to make a case that Obama was good for blacks specifically, you'd have to show that we improved in some of those areas relative to other groups. I mean it doesn't really mean much if the black unemployment rate went down 2% but the American unemployment rate went down 3%. Yeah, blacks would be doing better in that case, but we didn't improve as much as everyone else.

All that is true, but putting things in perspective, Obama made things better for the country in general so black people naturally also did better on average. If you want to make a case that Obama was good for blacks specifically, you'd have to show that we improved in some of those areas relative to other groups. I mean it doesn't really mean much if the black unemployment rate went down 2% but the American unemployment rate went down 3%. Yeah, blacks would be doing better in that case, but we didn't improve as much as everyone else.
(Note: The following ain't even for you, I just gotta get this off 1 time.)

The argument was originally that obama didnt do anything for black people. When that got shot down it became, "well he didnt do anything exclusively", your argument is well how does it relate to what he did for others? So, while i respect your opinion, in the larger argument it's shifting the goalposts to the nth degree. Like at point are we splitting hairs?

More of us had jobs, less of us were locked up, more of us our kids were graduating and going to college, less of our kids were participating or being victims of violence, more of us had health insurance after he got out of office. That's not an exhaustive list, and that's while up against a Congress whose sole purpose was to obstruct everything he tried to do.

Why we got to be the ones to denigrate our own? I spent my whole life listening to white teachers talk about fucked up white men as if they were deities with no flaws. And here we are after 4 years of fucking Adolf trump and we still reaching past that to down our own for not doing "enough". If yall cant see the program I dont know what to tell yall. But if yall got smoke, aim it at the ops.

(Note: The following ain't even for you, I just gotta get this off 1 time.)

The argument was originally that obama didnt do anything for black people. When that got shot down it became, "well he didnt do anything exclusively", your argument is well how does it relate to what he did for others? So, while i respect your opinion, in the larger argument it's shifting the goalposts to the nth degree. Like at point are we splitting hairs?

More of us had jobs, less of us were locked up, more of us our kids were graduating and going to college, less of our kids were participating or being victims of violence, more of us had health insurance after he got out of office. That's not an exhaustive list, and that's while up against a Congress whose sole purpose was to obstruct everything he tried to do.

Why we got to be the ones to denigrate our own? I spent my whole life listening to white teachers talk about fucked up white men as if they were deities with no flaws. And here we are after 4 years of fucking Adolf trump and we still reaching past that to down our own for not doing "enough". If yall cant see the program I dont know what to tell yall. But if yall got smoke, aim it at the ops.

I feel what you're saying. I was a Bernie supporter, and Bernie flat out said he didn't have an agenda specifically for black people. He had an agenda to improve conditions in America, which would in turn improve things for black people. I agreed with Bernie to some extent. I feel ideas like universal healthcare, free education, justice reform would really help blacks likely even disproportionately in our favor. So I'm cool with that especially since Bernie was upfront about now having any particular agenda to help one group vs another.

The problem is that there is a gap between blacks and whites and other groups too, and it's pretty sizeable. It's all well and good to help everyone out, but that's not really going to close that gap. At some point, politicians have to do something to close that gap or blacks will basically always be second class citizens. That's why I brought that point up. It's fair to point out that blacks may have done better under Obama's presidency, but that's not the same as saying Obama helped blacks. IMO a politician has to help close that gap to truly say they helped blacks. Otherwise, they just helped America, and if that was their goal then it's all good. To be fair to Obama, he said pretty early on that he planned to be the president of the U.S. not of Black America. So it is what it is.

We talk bad about Garvey, booker t, Dubois, martin, malcolm, huey, michael, jordan and jackson, Cosby, pac, jigga, Sharpton, Jesse, farrakhan, obama.

They build statues to theirs we throw stones at ours.

The shit is by design man, whitewash their history but want us solely to focus on our blemishes. We ain't even the hero's of our stories. Barack Hussein obama is the first man to allow you to credibly look at your child and say that they could sit in that chair. He ain't perfect, but why does he need to be? Next person up do a little better than the last, same as it's ever been.

I feel what you're saying. I was a Bernie supporter, and Bernie flat out said he didn't have an agenda specifically for black people. He had an agenda to improve conditions in America, which would in turn improve things for black people. I agreed with Bernie to some extent. I feel ideas like universal healthcare, free education, justice reform would really help blacks likely even disproportionately in our favor. So I'm cool with that especially since Bernie was upfront about now having any particular agenda to help one group vs another.

The problem is that there is a gap between blacks and whites and other groups too, and it's pretty sizeable. It's all well and good to help everyone out, but that's not really going to close that gap. At some point, politicians have to do something to close that gap or blacks will basically always be second class citizens. That's why I brought that point up. It's fair to point out that blacks may have done better under Obama's presidency, but that's not the same as saying Obama helped blacks. IMO a politician has to help close that gap to truly say they helped blacks. Otherwise, they just helped America, and if that was their goal then it's all good. To be fair to Obama, he said pretty early on that he planned to be the president of the U.S. not of Black America. So it is what it is.
Respect it 100%. I absolutely agree that we need policies directed at our specific needs. I also think we need to build our numbers up at all levels of power to enact that kind of change. No one man can do that our their own, so I dont spend a lot of time faulting them for what they couldnt do.

Back