Welcome To aBlackWeb

This was just a bad idea and shouldn't have made it past the concept stage

I'll catch this once it hits netflix or hulu. I get that its movie that has a soecific audience in mind, but once you see a hood movie with a ton of rappers in it, you've seen them all. Everybody untouchable kingpins with an unlimited amount of money, goons and women. Predictable is an understatement.

vf5lmclkqtqylfapskqd.jpg

He was good in Burning Sands, but the hair is a barrier to entry. Whole trailer sounds serious as fuck and then you open to the main character looking like Kid from House Party threw a perm in his shit. Straight to Netflix/Redbox with this. Realistically, though, this is for 90s/00s babies and I can accept that.

They should have just given it a different name. Then it would just be a regular hustle movie with the normal guns and violence. This is the same as them trying to remake Scarface. They shouldnā€™t modernize old films just make new ones. But they probably know that most of the people that see the new ones didnā€™t see the old ones.

They should have just given it a different name. Then it would just be a regular hustle movie with the normal guns and violence. This is the same as them trying to remake Scarface. They shouldnā€™t modernize old films just make new ones. But they probably know that most of the people that see the new ones didnā€™t see the old ones.

Nothing wrong with remaking Scarface. It itself is a remake and it's a story that is easily adaptable with the times because it always repeats itself.

With Superfly however blaxploitation movement sensibilities and tone are crucial to the presentation. There was an element of black power and pride and love & admiration of actual musicianship, community leadership and influence and unique fashions in the 70s that doesn't really exist in the black community anymore. Might as well have called it something else.

Back