Stand your ground’ law protects shooter in deadly fight over parking space: sheriff

DOS_patos

Unverified Legion of Trill member
Apr 4, 2017

An argument over a handicapped parking spot at a convenience store in Florida led to a fatal shooting and the man who pulled the trigger won’t be arrested under the state’s “stand your ground” self-defense law, authorities said.

Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri told reporters during a Friday press conference that Thursday’s shooting death of Markeis McGlockton, a 28-year-old father of three, is “within the bookends of stand your ground and within the bookends of force being justified,” the Tampa Bay Times reports.

“I’m not saying I agree with it, but I don’t make that call,” Gualtieri told reporters, adding that his agency will now forward the case to the State Attorney’s Office for a final decision.

Surveillance video obtained by The Post shows McGlockton walking up to Michael Drejka, 47, who was arguing with McGlockton’s girlfriend, Britany Jacobs, 24, over a handicapped parking spot at the Circle A Food store on Sunset Point Road in Clearwater on Thursday.

Detectives from the sheriff’s office said Jacobs had parked her 2016 Chrysler 2000 in a handicapped spot without a permit, leading to the argument with Drejka that prompted a witness to alert a clerk inside.

That’s when McGlockton, who is black, exited the store and approached Drejka, shoving him violently to the ground with both hands, surveillance video shows. While still on the ground, Drejka, who is white, then pulled out a gun and shot McGlockton, firing a single round that struck him in the chest, deputies said.

The young father then staggered back into the store and collapsed in front of the couple’s 5-year-old son, who is named after McGlockton, Jacobs told the Tampa Bay Times. He was pronounced dead a short time later.

“He’s not too good,” Jacobs said of the boy. “It comes and goes, but he knows [McGlockton] is dead.”

Prior to Gualtieri’s announcement Friday, Jacobs told the newspaper that McGlockton died from a “wrongful death” as a result of Drejka’s actions.

“It’s a wrongful death,” she told the newspaper earlier Friday. “It’s messed up. Markeis is a good man … He was just protecting us, you know? And it hurts so bad.”

The couple had been together since 2009 after meeting at Dunedin High School, Jacobs said. The certified nursing assistant told the newspaper she parked in the handicap spot because the parking lot was packed. Surveillance video, however, showed several open parking spaces in front of the store prior to the deadly shooting.

The couple’s two other children – a 4-month-old and a 3-year-old – were inside the car with Jacobs, she said. She is now in the process of hiring a lawyer to determine her options and next move, she told the Tampa Bay Times, adding that she wants justice on McGlockton’s behalf.

“He’s getting out like he’s a police officer or something, and he’s approaching me,” she said. “I minded my own business … I didn’t do anything wrong.”

hate seeing this shit.......they can fuck with people but cant take responses?

and yet he justified?

how are you starting shit with a woman AND you got a gun?

Saw the video yesterday.. I was like foreal.. thats it.. it was an interaction that dindt have to happen.. but that cac is a bitch

Black folk need to start standin their ground straight up.. When they are racially assaulted..

So he didnt have a right to defend his wife in what he perceived as a threat...

Saw the video yesterday.. I was like foreal.. thats it.. it was an interaction that dindt have to happen.. but that cac is a bitch

Black folk need to start standin their ground straight up.. When they are racially assaulted..

and thats my point.....
so the wife shoulda shot him.

but i bet she wouldnt be justified.

nah....
damn near every person in switzerland has a gun. yet i only heard of 1 person getting shot in the city i live the 4yrs i been here.

while i am sure its more....we cant blame guns...we must blame the mentality of those that use a bullshit law because they know they will be protected by the law and law enforcement.

i bet if more black people use this law against white people.....it will change

Was it a reasonable perception?

The black man messed up by pushing the guy down like that. It was a verbal altercation and the CaC hadn't really done anything to warrant escalating to physical violence. We know this system is always going to side against us when we come off as the initiators of violence.

That said, that law is bullshit and this interpretation of the law is bullshit. The black man was clearly backing off before the CaC even pulled out the gun. That CaC just wanted to kill a black man, and the injustice system just said it was ok.

Has a black man ever successfully raised the stand your ground defense after shooting a beige person? Is there a single example?

Reactions: MallyG
Nah, using Stand Your Ground to defend this means most of the shootings niggas do at clubs would also be justified. The fact that it took so long for dude to pull the trigger and that the man was backing away, shows this was murder.

Yes

Don’t put your hands on me if you’re not prepared to die

I say this knowing full well dude likely racist and took great joy in that. Dude was in the wrong though based on the video. Came out being emotional and escalated the situation. Now if it comes out the shooter put hands on his shorty, my perspective changes. I’m sure he ain’t expect him to pull out on him like that but sometimes what you don’t know.....

You think dude would’ve pushed him down like that knowing he was strapped or would he have approached it differently? Give me that respect whether you know I’m strapped or not.

How bout that white boy show some respect first and not fuss at someone's ol' lady?

Dude comes out and finds some random Florida white boy arguing with his woman over a parking space. Nigga went into protect mode as he should.

Reactions: Duwop
Dude was looking for trouble because his ass know he had a gun on him.

And no. You should lose your life over that. It’s not justified at all.

He was pushed and that was it.

You entitled to view it that way

Live on your side of the street and don’t fuck with niggas who live on the other side

Would I respond that way, likely not but you better hope I got my emotions in check that day. Roy Jones ain’t getting in the ring with Gassiev and I ain’t fighting a nigga 20 years younger and 40 pounds heavier than me

We're not talking about a fight . The confrontation could have ended with both sides walking away. That white dude chose to kill him unnecessarily.