Welcome To aBlackWeb

Poll [Spinoff] Is Mase a Legend?

Is Mase a Legend?

• Total voters
I was just about to post this gif. U beat me to it lol.

SMH at these clowns talking down on Sir Too $hort. This man has been spitting game for 40 fucking years now. He invented the independent, solo/dolo, slang tapes from your trunk hustle and showed brothers worldwide how to get rich on your own. How can you hate that????

From Oakland, to LA, to Memphis to ATL dude has been a certified legend for 4 decades. Name any other rapper who can say that???

SMH at these clowns. Only in NYC can a 4 decade living legend be hated on by ppl who co-sign corny, crossover, commercialized gay ass tranny loving rappers. Check yourself NYC y'all looking real bitch made right now.

"After two platinum albums you call me weak b/c I don't sell records in the east" - Too $hort 1992

Last edited:
I would say so, just... But has tarnished his legacy...

He could have been one of the GOATS... Dude had two classic albums imo (some might only say one) and rapped with legends from BIG to Big L....

Dude had an original style and flow, which is rare and in fact was an prolly an originator as his style has been bitten numerous times...

He was part of a legendary supergroup and a part of a legendary label and has also written hits for other artists...

That nigga ain't got 2 classics, most MF don't even remember his 2nd album.

What legendary supergroup was he in? Children of the Corn? Like his 2nd album, if you ain't a diehard Mase, Cam, or Big L fan, Children of the Corn is a horror movie franchise.

Last edited:
Nah, a monotone voice is not the same... Mase had that lazy, laid back style totally different to Guru imo... And Im a big Guru fan too, especially the Jazzmattaz albums... And the style applies to his fly, 'ladies man' persona that Fab and Loon ran with too...

You mean like LL was doing on Mr. Smith, 2 years before Mase dropped his first album.

Or that BDK was doing 10 years prior.

Last edited:
Nigs please let's stop sayin' Mase didn't have Mase flow first. Guru doesn't even sound like him

Nigga your talking bout Guru's voice and how he actually SOUNDS.

That slow/monotone flow wasn't some shit Mase was the first to do. FOH

Drake has used Lil Wayne's FLOW numerous times, but they don't SOUND alike.

That's the difference between sound & flow.

Here I'll give you another example. Shyne SOUNDED like Big but his FLOW was nothing like his.

Get it now.

Nigga your talking bout Guru's voice and how he actually SOUNDS.

That slow/monotone flow wasn't some shit Mase was the first to do. FOH

Drake has used Lil Wayne's FLOW numerous times, but they don't SOUND alike.

That's the difference between sound & flow.

Here I'll give you another example. Shyne SOUNDED like Big but his FLOW was nothing like his.

Get it now.

Guru and Mase don't sound or flow alike

Dude was part of a legendary crew and movement in Hip Hop and is not like he was on the sidelines yelling out ad libs on some freaky zekey shit. Dude was either dropping his own shit or ghostwriting in the background. Mase helped diddy take hip hop to a WHOLE nother level, far as worldwide exposure. If that's not legendary what is? Niggas wanna focus on some commercial joints and the fact that Harlem World was his only GREAT album.
Dude had a lasting effect on the game and spawned a bunch of mini me s.
Horse and Carriage helped Cam'Ron career take off, which led to dip set.
Fabulous, loon, kanye all came from Mase in a way.
DMX would've blown up w or w/o Mase, but the exposure from being on a multi platinum album didn't hurt his career and anticipation for his own upcoming album. I know that after hearing X on Harlem World I was more interested in what his shit would sound like.

You mean like LL was doing on Mr. Smith, 2 years before Mase dropped his first album.

Or that BDK was doing 10 years prior.

Point 1. I never said anyone with a lazy flow got that from Mase, I said Mase pioneered it and I cited rappers that imo did got birthed or influenced by Mase's style: Loon, Fab, Ye and 50, all of whom became hip hip stars two of them being two of the biggest stars in hip hop period:

'From the last shootout I got a dimple on my face
It's nothing, I can go after Mase's fan base'

After the shooting 50 had to adapt his style used Mase flow...

Point 2. I said IMO 'Double Up' is a classic album, so IMO he does have two classics... That album is fckn fire, I dont care what anyone says... I believe it ended up double platinum too...

And yes he was part of a supergroup, any group that consisted of Big L, Mase, Cam, McGruff and Bloodshed is a supergroup even if they only had one mixtape and few radio cyphers together...

Point 3. LL was known to be the first 'ladies man' of hip hop so what, Im on about the whole flow, style and package, he wasnt just rapping for chicks, he had gangsta, hip hop and R&B tracks 'I was Murda P. Diddy made be pretty'...

Plenty of rappers have had a monotone voice, I even thought Prodigy especially on his early solo work sounded like Rakim at times...

The original point I made was... Mase came in the game with an original style and flow and birthed styles...

Last edited:
Point 1. I never said anyone with a lazy flow got that from Mase, I said Mase pioneered it and I cited rappers that imo did got birthed or influenced by Mase's style: Loon, Fab, Ye and 50, all of whom became hip hip stars two of them being two of the biggest stars in hip hop period:

50 didn't have that flow cuz he was inspired by Mase or looked up to him.

He got it cuz HE GOT SHOT IN THE FACE AKA IT WASN'T VOLUNTARY... :niggawhat:

Point 2. I said IMO 'Double Up' is a classic album, so IMO he does have two classics... That album is fckn fire, I dont care what anyone says... I believe it ended up double platinum too...

And yes he was part of a supergroup, any group that consisted of Big L, Mase, Cam, McGruff and Bloodshed is a supergroup even if they only had one mixtape and few radio cyphers together...

Point 3. LL was known to be the first 'ladies man' of hip hop so what, Im on about the whole flow, style and package, he wasnt just rapping for chicks, he had gangsta, hip hop and R&B tracks 'I was Murda P. Diddy made be pretty'...

Plenty of rappers have had a monotone voice, I even thought Prodigy especially on his early solo work sounded like Rakim at times...

The original point I made was... Mase came in the game with an original style and flow and birthed styles...

Mase came in the game sounding like every other random NYC rapper. That track that was posted earlier proves that much. In fact, you can pull up every COTC track with "Murda Mase" on it and he'll sound the same. Matter of fact, here's three:

The whole reason these niggas was relegated to sellin' out the trunk for years without a deal is 'cause they really didn't stand out among their peers. In fact, Cam and Mase would simply be forgettable random MC's if they hadn't changed their styles. So Mase is a nobody sellin tapes on the corner until he changes his style to some mealy mouf close head injury victim shits.

And they weren't a "super group" either; cut that out. They were just a regular ass group no different than Wu, Troubleneck, Legion, Rumpletilskinz, etc when they first started out.

@konceptjones Wu are a supergroup though… And no Mase didnt, he always had laid back, almost whining at times voice even when he was rapping aggressively, saying he sounded like a generic NY is ridiculous…

Big L was always on another level too and hardly changed his style from 1990 to his death, even when he first debuted on Show and AG’s ‘Represent’ in 1991/1992 he stood out above the rest...

To say COTC wernt a supergroup (even in hinsight) is crazy, when 3 of them became individual hip hop stars and icons, without each other…

@konceptjones Wu are a supergroup though… And no Mase didnt, he always had laid back, almost whining at times voice even when he was rapping aggressively, saying he sounded like a generic NY is ridiculous…

Big L was always on another level too and hardly changed his style from 1990 to his death, even when he first debuted on Show and AG’s ‘Represent’ in 1991/1992 he stood out above the rest...

To say COTC wernt a supergroup (even in hinsight) is crazy, when 3 of them became individual hip hop stars and icons, without each other…

Wu is a group like any other, just a big ass group. When they came out with Protect Ya Neck, them niggas weren't known. The Genius and RZA both had releases that failed miserably under their belt, but that's about it. Prior to '93 you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that knew of them niggas (I actually had Words from the Genius, but I didn't even realize that was the same nigga until Liquid Swords dropped).

A "supergroup" is labeled as such because you have well known singers, rappers, or musicians (or a mix of them) that come together and record as a group. Both Wu and COTC were groups of unknown niggas when they came out and that's all there is to it. It ain't about who they became later, it's about who they are in the beginning. August Greene would be an example of a supergroup with Common, Robert Glasper, and Kareem Riggins, three well known artists. Same for Boot Camp Clik, Westside Connect, Slaughterhouse, and The Firm. Beyond hip hop there's Lucy Pearl, LSG (Levert, Sweat, and GIll), Asia, Damn Yankees, and The Three Tenors.

And you can listen to the COTC tracks that were posted. Mase on those tracks sounds like the average NYC rapper from the early/mid 90's. He sounds NOTHING like Mase on his Bad Boy releases.

Back