Welcome To aBlackWeb

OPINION Should games get rid of boss battles?

AP2.5

Beef Authority
Site Administrator
https://www.pcgamer.com/boss-fights-good-or-bad/

Boss fights end up in all sorts of games where they don't really have a place. I didn't enjoy any of Resident Evil 7's boss battles, for example, since each fight was basically just a bullet sponge, and this detracted from the game's otherwise imposing atmosphere.

I asked this week's question about boss battles, though, because I just beat a tricky one in the Devil May Cry HD Collection, and that's one game where they definitely have a place. The challenge adds a lot of drama, and they're built to be taken apart by skilled players. There's an art to how they're executed.

The same applies to Platinum's Bayonetta, too. Developers just need to offer the player a satisfying solution to beating them, based on what kind of game they're making. That's why talking a boss down in Deus Ex: Human Revolution's director's cut makes so much more sense than just shooting them to death.

i never thought about this

i guess i've always thought they were "needed" got gauge one's process throughout the game.

Idk what you would put in their place though.

Nope. I enjoy them to much, the good ones at least lol...

I agree sometimes they're trash but some of my best gaming memories come from boss fights. Developers just need to put more thought into some of them...
what would you do different if you were a dev?

You got enough issues with the women in your life. Lets not worry bout niggas on the net fam.
oh...but i dont....that was years ago.

but you just be careful.....seems like you might be walking into what i no longer have to deal with.

this is bitch shit.

man society is getting soft as fuck whenever you need to take out boss battles in video games

You seem to forget that there was a time where very few video games had level bosses.

Defender, Stargate, Robotron, Pac Man, etc... none of them had bosses. You just kept moving from level to level with increasing difficulty and tried to go a little farther and get a higher score each time around.

The mid-80's is when the concept of "bosses" came about. First game I can remember like that was Data East's Kung Fu Master and even then it was something of a novelty because once you got to the last level the game would take you right back to the first level with the difficulty increased. In that way it was like early games where you could never really "beat the game" because the game never really ended.

I used to think of bosses as a lazy way of giving the player a sense of progress.

You seem to forget that there was a time where very few video games had level bosses.

Defender, Stargate, Robotron, Pac Man, etc... none of them had bosses. You just kept moving from level to level with increasing difficulty and tried to go a little farther and get a higher score each time around.

The mid-80's is when the concept of "bosses" came about. First game I can remember like that was Data East's Kung Fu Master and even then it was something of a novelty because once you got to the last level the game would take you right back to the first level with the difficulty increased. In that way it was like early games where you could never really "beat the game" because the game never really ended.

I used to think of bosses as a lazy way of giving the player a sense of progress.
while i do remember those games...that was skill development. different era.

we had to grow into what we like.

its like training in the gym before the amateurs and then pros to get to the champ.

Back