Poll Should families sue the city for money after love one is killed by police???

Do you agree with families taking settlement money after loved one dies by the cops?

• Yes why not

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • Nah just dont seem right

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • on the fence

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Race Jones

gangster. grace. alchemy
Jan 26, 2017
Philadelphia
I keep seeing people talking about how Breonna Taylor’s family shouldnt have taken the settlement money and I comepletely disagree.

03691CD6-1367-4366-B302-A0BBDC7BA025.jpeg

what are your thoughts? do you feel settlement money makes “justice” harder to obtain? would you accept money after your loved one was killed by police?

If it includes some shit about them not admitting any wrongdoing or responsibility and the cops are still employed i'd like to think I would say nah fuck that... see you in court.

But given this countries history when it comes to justice being served to the black community.. I can see why some folks would take the money since they dont have any faith that justice will be served anyway.... smh sad all around.

Regardless of the families decision that settlement money shouldnt come from the taxpayers it should come from the police unions imo

Suing the city? Yes

The settlement they took in this particular case ? HELL NO!?
Mind you the settlement was signed before the officers were charged.
It was a blatant effort to stifle public anger and lessen the impact should they bring a weak indictment following the Grand Jury. And after they signed that's exactly what happened, they moved to cover it up and sweep it under the rug.

One condition of the settlement was that her mother/family cannot sue the city in the future. The officers weren't charged with her death AT ALL. Only 1 officer was charged due to the grand jury and it was an indictment for wanton endangerment due to the bullets penetrating the walls of Breonna's apartment possibly endangering her neighbors. The city and Police department also were not required to admit any fault in the incident or cover any medical expenses related to the shooting. Not 1 of the 3 officers were charged with murder or anything else only the endangerment for the 1 particular officer. It came to light that the jury were never presented any options for charges except wanton endangerment. One juror also says the grand jury wanted to consider additional charges against the officers but was told there wouldn’t be anymore because prosecutors felt they couldn’t make them stick. grand jurors petitioned to release the recordings and allow jurors to speak out publicly about the sham jury. The FBI is currently still investigating the proceedings for wrong doing.

They fucked up signing that settlement, it was nothing more than an attempt to stop a discovery from happening and preventing the family from forcing it to trial under criminal court after the ensuing cover up. City settled to stop cops from being properly charged and then trumped up bullshit charges to finish the cover up and taxpayers foot the bill instead of seeing real justice.

"Attorney Aguiar, representing the Taylor family, tells ABC News in a statement that after listening to the recordings, “the grand jury was great. [They] paid attention, asked important questions, sought critical evidence that was not made available to them, had critical observations, and they were stonewalled every step of the way by a prosecution team that had a predetermined outcome and a disingenuous agenda.”

I would have never accepted a civil settlement before criminal charges were brought forth. I staunchly believe it will always make justice harder to obtain if not outright preventing it from happening.

Last edited:
I fail to see why you wouldn’t sue the city. You sue when your rights have been violated by those employed by the local government to keep the peace.

There really isn’t a moral stance to take here. If that criteria fits, then suing is on the table. 1+1=2.

Also, the money paid out to those families comes from somewhere. It comes from tax payers. When the city is paying out millions of dollars for lawsuit after lawsuit and niggas sales and property taxes start creeping up, they’ll start attending some city council meetings and asking some gotdamn questions and maybe we’ll be closer To real accountability.

So suing can have a real affect on shit.

I keep seeing people talking about how Breonna Taylor’s family shouldnt have taken the settlement money and I comepletely disagree.

View attachment 428924

what are your thoughts? do you feel settlement money makes “justice” harder to obtain? would you accept money after your loved one was killed by police?

I think families should try and wait until some kind of justice is served. But i understand the pressure some of these families might be under. It's probably hard to turn down when justice is nowhere in sight or they're under serious financial straits.

Depending on the conditions of the settlement it can absolutely hurt a case so those conditions would ultimately make or break the settlement for me.

Reactions: Race Jones

View attachment 428924

“As if it were going to be one or the other”

He made up that bit at the end on his own and it reveals the source of his confusion. No reason they shouldn’t be able to sue the city and still have justice served on the criminal side.

“As if it were going to be one or the other”

He made up that bit at the end on his own and it reveals the source of his confusion. No reason they shouldn’t be able to sue the city and still have justice served on the criminal side.

The settlement can come with conditions that make justice impossible.

Example? And was there any sign of that happening in this case?

I don't know about this case specifically. I'm speaking in general.

Settlements are generally conditional. On a base level you are basically agreeing to forgo any type of lawsuits against the party offering the settlement for a price.

I don't know about this case specifically. I'm speaking in general.

Settlements are generally conditional. On a base level you are basically agreeing to forgo any type of lawsuits against the party offering the settlement for a price.

Yea that’s all on the civil side. Someone may correct me but I don’t think you can sign away a criminal investigation.

Reactions: Dwayne
Yea that’s all on the civil side. Someone may correct me but I don’t think you can sign away a criminal investigation.

You can agree not to pursue it or make a public or written claim the defendant did no wrongdoing.

You can agree not to pursue it

But the State is the plaintiff in a criminal case so either way it’s up to them if they pursue or not, they don’t need a signature

or make a public or written claim the defendant did no wrongdoing.

A statement like that from someone who wasn’t present when the crime happened wouldn’t hold weight in court

I’m not even saying you’re wrong bc I don’t know, but logically neither of those things to be allowed to make a difference

But the State is the plaintiff in a criminal case so either way it’s up to them if they pursue or not, they don’t need a signature

A statement like that from someone who wasn’t present when the crime happened wouldn’t hold weight in court

I’m not even saying you’re wrong bc I don’t know, but logically neither of those things to be allowed to make a difference

Like I said I'm speaking in general not specifically about this case since I don't have the details.

Reactions: Rubato
Putting a price on a life like that is nonsense...give that officer life without no parole and ill feel like justice was done..sort of...keep your money

Rather live.modestly with my loved ones then be rich and devastated

Maybe not the appropriate thread for this but I am surprised at how quickly people look for financial gain after the loss of a loved one(not talking about Breanna people)
..my coworker had a child die in a car accident..her mom was quick to point out how she could get money off the insurance for the baby
. I think 30k...can't blame her but that would be the last thing on my mind in a time like that

Putting a price on a life like that is nonsense...give that officer life without no parole and ill feel like justice was done..sort of...keep your money

Rather live.modestly with my loved ones then be rich and devastated

So broke and devastated over financially comfortable and devastated? Why?