Welcome To aBlackWeb

Popular social media chef gets cancelled over old tweets

Also it is a right wing talking point . That now is universally used... ie "fake news"🙄

Whenever someone feet are being held to the fire for some shit THEY DID. Its never far behind.

Accountability.

Exactly. Damn near anytime somebody is asked about something they've done or face any sort of consequences people throw out the word cancelled. Fuck actually being responsible for your actions. Just yell out "I'm being cancelled". Between that and like I said earlier people intentionally seeking it out doing or saying shit and then saying "oh this is gonna get me canceled" its all bullshit

There's also the basic idea that if you're going to go into an arena that relies on the opinions of the public, ie being a chef and trying to cater your food to Black folks, that having a laundry list of tweets insulting Black women won't work in your favor. And when you're selling a product to the public they essentially are your "boss" so if you're insulting them they have the full right to say fuck you and not support your products. If that is "cancelling" somebody then so be it.

There's also the basic idea that if you're going to go into an arena that relies on the opinions of the public, ie being a chef and trying to cater your food to Black folks, that having a laundry list of tweets insulting Black women won't work in your favor. And when you're selling a product to the public they essentially are your "boss" so if you're insulting them they have the full right to say fuck you and not support your products. If that is "cancelling" somebody then so be it.

This.

Do I think a person should have their livelihood taken from them because they dislike a certain group of people and said some fucked up shit about them online? No.

Am I ok if said group of people or others who identify with them take steps to destroy that person’s livelihood, if that person relies on those people for that livelihood? Yes.

It is what it is.

At this point, I really don’t get how people who interact with the public for a living don’t think to themselves ‘I should prolly go comb through my social media and make sure ain’t nothing wild on there.’.

Cancelled means being done away with and never coming back. Cancelled means to be over. The fact that the vast majority of folks who've been "cancelled" are still operating just fine, most still in the same field, shows that it's bullshit.

For the last time, just because people haven't been successful doing it doesn't mean that there isn't a culture built around trying to do it. And you making your own super strict definition of cancelling doesn't mean anything. The gay people who got Kevin Hart away from the Grammys were good with that. They didn't need him to be gone forever.

For the last time, just because people haven't been successful doing it doesn't mean that there isn't a culture built around trying to do it. And you making your own super strict definition of cancelling doesn't mean anything. The gay people who got Kevin Hart away from the Grammys were good with that. They didn't need him to be gone forever.

It's not some super strict definition. Both the literal and slang ways cancelled meant to be done with. The way people use it now just means anytime somebody gets any pushback to whatever they're doing. And as I said earlier if you're in any kind of job or arena where the opinions of the public, especially the demographic you're catering to, is insulted then those people reserve the right to not support that person or product. That's how it's always worked.

This.

Do I think a person should have their livelihood taken from them because they dislike a certain group of people and said some fucked up shit about them online? No.

Am I ok if said group of people or others who identify with them take steps to destroy that person’s livelihood, if that person relies on those people for that livelihood? Yes.

It is what it is.

At this point, I really don’t get how people who interact with the public for a living don’t think to themselves ‘I should prolly go comb through my social media and make sure ain’t nothing wild on there.’.

bruh it’s crazy because by now they should know this shit people don’t forget wild shit

In a way, this kind of proves energy cant be destroyed.

You put negative energy out there, and the shit can sit there for years before it comes back.

Mfers comments on twitter probably hurt some poor girls confidence years ago and now when hes at his most successful, that same energy returned to him.

In a way, this kind of proves energy cant be destroyed.

You put negative energy out there, and the shit can sit there for years before it comes back.

Mfers comments on twitter probably hurt some poor girls confidence years ago and now when hes at his most successful, that same energy returned to him.

Lol a lot of folks finna catch it

It's not some super strict definition. Both the literal and slang ways cancelled meant to be done with. The way people use it now just means anytime somebody gets any pushback to whatever they're doing. And as I said earlier if you're in any kind of job or arena where the opinions of the public, especially the demographic you're catering to, is insulted then those people reserve the right to not support that person or product. That's how it's always worked.

What are you talking about? When the concept of "cancelled" popped up, hardly anyone was completely put away. About the only people you might be able to say that about is Cosby and Weinstein, and they weren't simply cancelled. They were convicted. People might have wanted to do what you're saying, but that's never really what happened. They usually just caused people to lose jobs, money, opportunities, etc..., and it wasn't always in fields where they were catering to a particular demographic. Sometimes companies just acquiese because they don't want to deal with the heat.

I agree that if your job depends on public support that the people who support you have every right to reserve their support. That's not cancelling. That's boycotting and it's been around forever. During the whole Chapelle drama, the trans people had every right say they didn't like Dave's jokes and that they would no longer support him. That's fine. They didn't leave it at that. They tried to get all his shit pulled off Netflix. They tried, and in some cases were successful, in getting his shows cancelled. They tried to stop his alma mater from honoring him. That's not an example of a demographic refusing to support someone. That's a group of people trying to punish someone because they didn't like something he said. Maybe you agree with them and that's fine, but stop acting like some of these people aren't out here trying to use whatever power and pressure they can muster to destroy others.

Reactions: GNS
What are you talking about? When the concept of "cancelled" popped up, hardly anyone was completely put away. About the only people you might be able to say that about is Cosby and Weinstein, and they weren't simply cancelled. They were convicted. People might have wanted to do what you're saying, but that's never really what happened. They usually just caused people to lose jobs, money, opportunities, etc..., and it wasn't always in fields where they were catering to a particular demographic. Sometimes companies just acquiese because they don't want to deal with the heat.

I agree that if your job depends on public support that the people who support you have every right to reserve their support. That's not cancelling. That's boycotting and it's been around forever. During the whole Chapelle drama, the trans people had every right say they didn't like Dave's jokes and that they would no longer support him. That's fine. They didn't leave it at that. They tried to get all his shit pulled off Netflix. They tried, and in some cases were successful, in getting his shows cancelled. They tried to stop his alma mater from honoring him. That's not an example of a demographic refusing to support someone. That's a group of people trying to punish someone because they didn't like something he said. Maybe you agree with them and that's fine, but stop acting like some of these people aren't out here trying to use whatever power and pressure they can muster to destroy others.

When this exchange started I said the only people who were actually canceled were folks who caught some sort of criminal charge. Other than that it's just been people either fighting accountability or folks who simply didn't care and moved on and kept shit pushing with no real consequences outside of some angry people. So you just agreed with the idea that the way cancel culture is that it's not really a thing.

The Chapelle shit clearly wasn't successful because not only has he been consistently touring sold out shows but Netflix gave him even more money for more work. Just because people try to do something doesnt mean it's actually a real thing. So the act of trying to cancel failed. It's not about whether or not I agree with any of the people going after folks...it's the idea that as you've just proven cancel culture isn't really a thing. . It's just people getting mad, and sometimes rightfully so, at things being said or done and it's usually just left at that. You literally just proved my point with your post that unless it's a criminal act attached to it the whole cancel somebody shit doesn't actually work. Hell Louie CK is winning Grammys after admitting to jerking off in front of women.

When this exchange started I said the only people who were actually canceled were folks who caught some sort of criminal charge. Other than that it's just been people either fighting accountability or folks who simply didn't care and moved on and kept shit pushing with no real consequences outside of some angry people. So you just agreed with the idea that the way cancel culture is that it's not really a thing.

The Chapelle shit clearly wasn't successful because not only has he been consistently touring sold out shows but Netflix gave him even more money for more work. Just because people try to do something doesnt mean it's actually a real thing. So the act of trying to cancel failed. It's not about whether or not I agree with any of the people going after folks...it's the idea that as you've just proven cancel culture isn't really a thing. . It's just people getting mad, and sometimes rightfully so, at things being said or done and it's usually just left at that. You literally just proved my point with your post that unless it's a criminal act attached to it the whole cancel somebody shit doesn't actually work. Hell Louie CK is winning Grammys after admitting to jerking off in front of women.

You put all that text but missed the point I repeated like three times. People don't have to be successful in their attempts to cancel others for cancel culture to exist. There are people who see attempting to destroy others as a reasonable option for dealing with disagreements. There are people who think digging up old wrong shit from the pasts of others that they don't like and using that to take those others down. There are people who go out of there way to publicize the bad actions of others solely to get at those others. The fact that people are out here consciously trying to destroy other people for any offense is proof that cancel culture exists. Is it an extinction level event level problem as some suggest? No, but it's also no a figment of peoples' imaginations either.

You put all that text but missed the point I repeated like three times. People don't have to be successful in their attempts to cancel others for cancel culture to exist. There are people who see attempting to destroy others as a reasonable option for dealing with disagreements. There are people who think digging up old wrong shit from the pasts of others that they don't like and using that to take those others down. There are people who go out of there way to publicize the bad actions of others solely to get at those others. The fact that people are out here consciously trying to destroy other people for any offense is proof that cancel culture exists. Is it an extinction level event level problem as some suggest? No, but it's also no a figment of peoples' imaginations either.

By your own admission outside of criminal charges people don't actually get cancelled. And if somebody getting a criminal charge is some people's idea of "cancel culture" then that's not really a good thing. Theres also the idea that to many people the continued failure of something does actually nullify it's existence. You're not talking about people actually being cancelled you're talking about the people who seek out the information which gossip magazines and journalists have done for decades. You're talking about the extreme form of tabloid style journalism social has expounded on. That's not a sign of cancel culture that's a sign of the decline of how people seek out and receive information

By your own admission outside of criminal charges people don't actually get cancelled. And if somebody getting a criminal charge is some people's idea of "cancel culture" then that's not really a good thing. Theres also the idea that to many people the continued failure of something does actually nullify it's existence. You're not talking about people actually being cancelled you're talking about the people who seek out the information which gossip magazines and journalists have done for decades. You're talking about the extreme form of tabloid style journalism social has expounded on. That's not a sign of cancel culture that's a sign of the decline of how people seek out and receive information

The BLM movement (I'm talking about the movement, fuck the organization) did not really achieve its goal. The people were seeking police and criminal justice reform on a major scale, and that did not happen. Are you going to sit here and argue that the BLM movement didn't exist or that the marches didn't happen because there was no criminal justice reform and, in some cases, no justice in the actual incidents being protested?

Of course you wouldn't because that would be stupid. It's just as stupid to argue that cancel culture was never a thing when he have plenty of examples of instances where people were putting concerted efforts into trying to cancel others even if it didn't happen.

Now if you want to argue that it was never as big a deal as some people made it or that it wasn't always a bad thing or that it's died down and isn't really a thing anymore, fine. I'd probably agree with you for the most part.

The BLM movement (I'm talking about the movement, fuck the organization) did not really achieve its goal. The people were seeking police and criminal justice reform on a major scale, and that did not happen. Are you going to sit here and argue that the BLM movement didn't exist or that the marches didn't happen because there was no criminal justice reform and, in some cases, no justice in the actual incidents being protested?

Of course you wouldn't because that would be stupid. It's just as stupid to argue that cancel culture was never a thing when he have plenty of examples of instances where people were putting concerted efforts into trying to cancel others even if it didn't happen.

Now if you want to argue that it was never as big a deal as some people made it or that it wasn't always a bad thing or that it's died down and isn't really a thing anymore, fine. I'd probably agree with you for the most part.

The movement itself was never going to get those changes done. The actual organization would've been the push for it so while it's rightfully fuck the organization for the scam they pulled that's not really a good example because of the separation of the two entities.

I'm not misunderstanding what you're saying. I just don't agree with it. If somebody is claiming to be a musician but never actually puts out any music you still gonna call them a musician?

The movement itself was never going to get those changes done. The actual organization would've been the push for it so while it's rightfully fuck the organization for the scam they pulled that's not really a good example because of the separation of the two entities.

I'm not misunderstanding what you're saying. I just don't agree with it. If somebody is claiming to be a musician but never actually puts out any music you still gonna call them a musician?

lol Your first paragraph is completely beside the point...like I'm trying to figure out if you're just purposely dodging or if you actually think what you said addresses what I said.

Your musician analogy is inaccurate. A more correct version of it would be a person claiming to be a musician but their music never sells any units. In that case, they aren't successful, but yes that person would still be considered a musician. The problem with your version is that the musician (i.e., the would-be cancellers) don't actually put in any work. The reality is that the people do try get others cancelled. They just aren't successful.

Back