Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Official Black Web Boxing Corner

test
The faint into the lead uppercut was fucking ridiculous....

Like that shit could kill a man if landed properly.

Fury to big to be doing that shit....

It don't even be landing clean and slow niggaz down by 40%

Malik Hawkins Inks Promotional With Mayweather Promotions

Mayweather Promotions expands their roster with the signing of Baltimore's latest prodigy, Malik "Ice Man" Hawkins 16-0 (9KOs). Hawkins is the latest talent to come out of Upton Gym under the tutelage of highly-acclaimed coaches Calvin Ford, Kenny Ellis, and Russ Blakney.

Malik Hawkins was born and raised in West Baltimore, MD where he began competing at age nine. His amateur career consists of multiple national championships, a bronze medal from the 2012 Jr. Olympics, and an impressive record of 160-15. In 2014, Hawkins turned pro and made a powerful statement during his debut with a KO victory over his opponent.

The quickly-rising, twenty-three-year-old, prospect has fought his way to sixteen straight victories and four Showtime appearances. On July 27th Hawkins appeared on the Davis vs. Nunez card, and put on a spectacular performance against Jonathan Steele in front of a sold-out hometown crowd at Royal Farms Arena. His talent and hunger caught the eye of Mayweather Promotions CEO, Leonard Ellerbe, ultimately leading to the signing of the undefeated Welterweight.

"It feels great. I can't believe the day is finally here; signing with Mayweather Promotions. This experience has really taught me that being patient and putting in the hard work will get you through anything in life, Hawkins said. "It's a plus having my brother, Tank, someone I grew up with and train with fighting in the same stable too.

Hawkins and Davis are both trained by Coach Calvin Ford, who fully supports the move for the young prospect to Mayweather Promotions.

"It will be a test of time. There are a billion boxers out there. I believe Mayweather Promotions is the perfect platform to help Malik stand out from the rest," said Ford.

“Adding this young hungry prospect who has already had a great start to his career puts us in position to open doors and create opportunities for him, says Mayweather Promotions CEO, Leonard Ellerbe. He has a very bright future ahead. I can’t say enough that we’re extremely excited to bring Malik Hawkins aboard!”

Damn yall knew Shakur Stevenson is about to fight his girlfriend older brother!!!?? They both don't like each other either. I'm watching this fight for sure.

Joet Gonzalez: Shakur Stevenson Not Good Enough For My Sister!
LAS VEGAS – Like many American males, Joet Gonzalez wants to beat the crap out of his younger sister’s boyfriend.

Difference is, Gonzalez legally will get that opportunity October 26. And he’ll get paid handsomely for it.

Such is the surreal storyline in advance of the Gonzalez-Shakur Stevenson fight for the vacant WBO featherweight title next month in Reno, Nevada. The 22-year-old Stevenson (12-0, 7 KOs), the WBO’s No. 1-ranked featherweight contender, is the longtime boyfriend of the second-ranked Gonzalez’s younger sister, Jajaira Gonzalez.

Stevenson steered clear of discussing this highly unusual situation following a press conference Friday at MGM Grand to announce their fight and three other main events ESPN will televise or stream this fall.

“It’s accurate,” Joet Gonzalez told BoxingScene.com. “They’ve been dating for about three years. It’s been a while. The thing is, I never liked him since the amateurs. I think he’s not good enough for my sister. I’m the older brother, so I’m trying to lead my sister the best route possible. I think there’s better people out there for her. But at the end of the day, she’s gonna date who she wants. All I’ve gotta do is support her, be behind her. But if I don’t like the person, I don’t like the person. I’m keeping my relationship with my sister. With him, I can care less.”

Jajaira Gonzalez, 22, is a decorated amateur boxer who is trying to earn a spot on the U.S. Olympic women’s team that’ll compete at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Stevenson won a silver medal for the United States at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

His success in the ring notwithstanding, the Newark, New Jersey, native never won over Jajaira Gonzalez’s older brother.

“The kid has no class,” Joet Gonzalez said. “He’s disrespectful. He’s ignorant. You guys seen it on the stage. Come fight time, I’m gonna be ready. I’m gonna show him a thing or two again, and I’m gonna beat him down.”

While he’s training to fight Stevenson, Joet Gonzalez (23-0, 14 KOs) doesn’t plan to have any contact with Jajaira, one of his five siblings. The Azusa, California, native said Friday he hasn’t spoken to her in “a good while.”

“For this fight, I distanced myself a little from my sister,” Joet Gonzalez said. “I’ve gotta do what I’ve gotta do. I can’t let emotions take over. Come fight time, I’ve just gotta get the job done. I’ve been working my whole life for this, since I was 10 years old. At the end of the day, I’m gonna do what I have to do. It doesn’t matter, the opponent. I’m gonna get the job done.”

Stevenson called Joet Gonzalez “a bitch” during the press conference. He admitted afterward the hard feelings are mutual.

“I can’t tell you no reason,” Stevenson said. “I just do not like him. I been didn’t like him for a long time, and I’m gonna beat him up.”

A smiling Stevenson pretended he didn’t know what reporters asked about when he was pressed regarding dating his opponent’s sister.

“I don’t know you’re talking about,” Stevenson said. “I’m just as confused as you. I don’t know what you’re talking about. … I can’t really tell y’all. I don’t know what makes it different, but I’m telling y’all I do not like him. Me on stage with him right now, I wanted to punch him. I wanted to beat him up.”

Damn yall knew Shakur Stevenson is about to fight his girlfriend older brother!!!?? They both don't like each other either. I'm watching this fight for sure.

Joet Gonzalez: Shakur Stevenson Not Good Enough For My Sister!
LAS VEGAS – Like many American males, Joet Gonzalez wants to beat the crap out of his younger sister’s boyfriend.

Difference is, Gonzalez legally will get that opportunity October 26. And he’ll get paid handsomely for it.

Such is the surreal storyline in advance of the Gonzalez-Shakur Stevenson fight for the vacant WBO featherweight title next month in Reno, Nevada. The 22-year-old Stevenson (12-0, 7 KOs), the WBO’s No. 1-ranked featherweight contender, is the longtime boyfriend of the second-ranked Gonzalez’s younger sister, Jajaira Gonzalez.

Stevenson steered clear of discussing this highly unusual situation following a press conference Friday at MGM Grand to announce their fight and three other main events ESPN will televise or stream this fall.

“It’s accurate,” Joet Gonzalez told BoxingScene.com. “They’ve been dating for about three years. It’s been a while. The thing is, I never liked him since the amateurs. I think he’s not good enough for my sister. I’m the older brother, so I’m trying to lead my sister the best route possible. I think there’s better people out there for her. But at the end of the day, she’s gonna date who she wants. All I’ve gotta do is support her, be behind her. But if I don’t like the person, I don’t like the person. I’m keeping my relationship with my sister. With him, I can care less.”

Jajaira Gonzalez, 22, is a decorated amateur boxer who is trying to earn a spot on the U.S. Olympic women’s team that’ll compete at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. Stevenson won a silver medal for the United States at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

His success in the ring notwithstanding, the Newark, New Jersey, native never won over Jajaira Gonzalez’s older brother.

“The kid has no class,” Joet Gonzalez said. “He’s disrespectful. He’s ignorant. You guys seen it on the stage. Come fight time, I’m gonna be ready. I’m gonna show him a thing or two again, and I’m gonna beat him down.”

While he’s training to fight Stevenson, Joet Gonzalez (23-0, 14 KOs) doesn’t plan to have any contact with Jajaira, one of his five siblings. The Azusa, California, native said Friday he hasn’t spoken to her in “a good while.”

“For this fight, I distanced myself a little from my sister,” Joet Gonzalez said. “I’ve gotta do what I’ve gotta do. I can’t let emotions take over. Come fight time, I’ve just gotta get the job done. I’ve been working my whole life for this, since I was 10 years old. At the end of the day, I’m gonna do what I have to do. It doesn’t matter, the opponent. I’m gonna get the job done.”

Stevenson called Joet Gonzalez “a bitch” during the press conference. He admitted afterward the hard feelings are mutual.

“I can’t tell you no reason,” Stevenson said. “I just do not like him. I been didn’t like him for a long time, and I’m gonna beat him up.”

A smiling Stevenson pretended he didn’t know what reporters asked about when he was pressed regarding dating his opponent’s sister.

“I don’t know you’re talking about,” Stevenson said. “I’m just as confused as you. I don’t know what you’re talking about. … I can’t really tell y’all. I don’t know what makes it different, but I’m telling y’all I do not like him. Me on stage with him right now, I wanted to punch him. I wanted to beat him up.”

Aint heard of this before lol. The closest was Broner smashing one of Malignaggi'a jump offs but THIS? This is a good way to sell a fight

What if Canelo call you out?
He wouldn't do that...

:hahaha:

But he called out Kovalev
Yeah,I ain't Kovalev

:hahaha:

Ryan Garcia Erupts After De La Hoya Tabs Ortiz as Best Prospect

Undefeated lightweight prospect Ryan Garcia has erupted after Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya named hot welterweight contender Vergil Ortiz, and not Garcia, as the top rising talent in the company.

There has been tension between Garcia and Golden Boy in recent months.

This past weekend the two sides came to collision, after Garcia claimed that he was never informed that his opponent, Avery Sparrow, had a legal issue hanging over his head.

Sparrow was arrested prior to the official weigh-in.

Golden Boy offered a potential replacement in the form of Romero Duno, who was also on the card.

Garcia and his handlers claim that Golden Boy was not offering enough money for that fight - but Golden Boy President Eric Gomez initially claimed, on social media, that Garcia's team rejected the contest and there was no dispute over money. The tweet made it appear that Garcia was scared to take the fight.

“Ryan has a lot of voices in his ear right now,” De La Hoya said to The Los Angeles Times. “That’s fine. I’ve been through it myself but it’s unfortunate because the miscommunication isn’t between us, it’s between his people. We’re going to have an emergency meeting to get everything resolved and we’re going to move on. We’re fine.”

And De La Hoya is not concerned with his company star, Canelo Alvarez, retweeting Garcia's complaints on social media. Canelo and Garcia share the same trainer in Eddy Reynoso.

“That’s fine,” De La Hoya said. “I think it’s great that he’s supporting him. Canelo is mentoring Ryan just the way I mentored Canelo, and maybe one day Ryan can mentor the next guy. But he’s not a world champion.

“Is he my best young fighter? No. Maybe next to Vergil Ortiz. Vergil Ortiz is the real deal. Ryan is in a very unique situation because of his social media following. The fact that he has so many followers is great, but it hasn’t transcended over to boxing. It just hasn’t. That’s the bottom line.

“So how do we do that? He has to win a world title. And who knows how to get him there? I do. Don’t listen to all these voices in your ear telling you, ‘Hey, you have 3 million followers, you’re supposed to be getting paid this much.’ Don’t listen to them. Just trust the process and you will get there.”

But Garcia did not take too kindly to De La Hoya statements - and took to social media to respond.

"I don’t even want to speak about this stuff anymore but Oscar call me for real and stop going to the press! We haven’t talked at all. I want the best fights, I’m 21 I have the drive to be even better and i will continue to get better and fight the best fighters," Garcia stated.

"Oscar if you don’t believe in my talents then you can release me [so I can go] elsewhere. Point blank period! If you do [believe in me] then come talk to me. Please no more press and public bashing."

Tyson Fury's Still a Star, But He's Not The Heavyweight Champion
Let’s make a few things clear.

I admire, respect, and yeah… I even like Tyson Fury.

The British big man boxed Wladimir Klitschko’s ears off in a fight I never thought he’d win. He rose from a Deontay Wilder combo that I thought had surely stopped him. And he fought through a mask of bloody adversity on Saturday night that would’ve caused many other men to cede their superiority.

He’s a heavyweight stud on the highest of levels these days.

But while we’re at it, let’s make another thing clear as well.

He’s not the heavyweight champion.

Regardless of how many times Top Rank writes press releases or creates graphics that say so, or how many times clueless ESPN SportsCenter anchors read it from teleprompters – it’s simply not the case.

Oh, he certainly was at one point.

In the moments following the herky-jerky clinic that vanquished long-reigning Ukrainian behemoth Klitschko back in 2015, he was a microphone-grabbing, Aerosmith-bellowing master of all he surveyed.

But then he wasn’t.

When a series of physical, personal and sanctioning demons consecutively combined to snatch his health, his wellness and his collection of gaudy hardware, and forced him to the sidelines for more than 30 months – or 924 days, to be exact – he relinquished any claim to be the king of the division.

Was he still a world-class fighter? Of course.

Did he still warrant legacy consideration for a title shot? Definitely.

But to suggest that he could simply walk away – voluntarily, or not – and return after such a long absence as if nothing at all had changed is patently ridiculous.

Don’t think so?

OK, imagine if the same sort of logic held true in other scenarios.

Peyton Manning exited Levi’s Stadium in February 2016 – a couple months following Fury’s defeat of Klitschko – after winning Super Bowl 50 with the Denver Broncos, then retired. Would he have still had a right to claim world champion status had he decided to come back with the Broncos last season?

Pete Sampras won the 14th Grand Slam singles title of his tennis career at the 2002 U.S. Open, then strode away into competitive inactivity. Had he returned a few years later among the Federers, Nadals and Djokovics of the on-court world, would he have been given an automatic berth into slam finals?

Here’s a hunch… your answers were no, and no.

So why then, is boxing any different?

As it happens, no less a biblical authority than Ring Magazine – yes, the oft-proclaimed savior of all things gloved – has a laundry list of ways via which a fighter it deems a champion can lose his status.

And items No. 3, 4 and 5 on that list happen to stipulate the following:

3) The Champion does not schedule a fight in any weight class for 18 months.
4) The Champion does not schedule a fight at his championship weight for 18 months (even if he fights at another weight).
5) The Champion does not schedule a fight with a Top-5 contender from any weight class for two years.

Lest anyone forget, Fury falls flat on all three requirements.

So, by doing so – regardless of the reason for his absence, or the presence of a worthy successor upon his exit – he abdicates the throne. And if it’s good enough for Ring, it’s good enough for me.

Still, Top Rank and ESPN continue to bang the nonsensical promotional drum.

As the Sunday morning SportsCenter crew fell over itself heralding Fury’s night-before defeat of Otto Wallin – the world’s 26th-best active heavyweight, by the way – the silliness reached epic proportions.

A post-fight list suggested Fury was one of a handful of elite heavyweights who’d defended his title five times while maintaining an unbeaten record.

But while you’re busy contemplating where the Brit belongs among historic names like Holmes, Marciano, Tyson and others, also remember that his other title “defenses” came in wins over the forgettable likes of Sefer Seferi, Francesco Pianeta and Tom Schwarz, and a draw against Wilder in which exactly one of three judges gave him a scorecard nod.

Seferi, a 40-year-old Albanian who’ll fight for the IBO cruiserweight title this weekend, was ranked 50th among heavyweights – according to the Independent World Boxing Rankings – when he got in with Fury in June 2018 and weighed 210 pounds to the so-called champion’s 276.

Pianeta, incidentally, was ranked 69th and Schwarz was 48th when they got their “shots.”

They were 82-5-1 collectively. But had never beaten anyone ranked better than 89th.

Not exactly the Murderers Row of modern big men.

And in other words, the next time Fury defeats a top-10 heavyweight – actually, make that a top-25 heavyweight – in a nearly four-year post-Klitschko run as “champion,” it’ll be the first time.

Now, I can’t pretend to speak for Bob Arum or Jimmy Pitaro, but I’d like a little more from my top guy.

Shouldn’t you?

Inside Ryan Garcia and Golden Boy's Tumultuous Weekend
By Manouk Akopyan

Romero Duno wore a T-shirt following his win against Ivan Delgado on Saturday that said “Ryan Garcia, Next, Stop Running.”

The message from the Filipino fighter was clear. He was growing tired of the endless back and forth chatter of perhaps fighting his touted Golden Boy Promotions stablemate.

All signs pointed in Duno’s direction as Garcia’s last-minute replacement opponent once Garcia’s fight against Avery Sparrow was scrapped Friday afternoon shortly after Sparrow was arrested by a U.S. Marshal for a gun charge shortly before the weigh-in.

Duno was fighting at the same 135-pound weight limit against Delgado and was ready to settle the score once and for all with Garcia after originally being tabled as an opponent in August for a future fight. Garcia even called out Duno on Thursday to be the co-feature to Canelo Alvarez’s fight against Sergey Kovalev on Nov. 2. He was still interested in the fight.

When Golden Boy scrambled to piece the puzzle and save Garcia’s fight after Sparrow’s arrest, they offered the bout to Duno. He accepted, but Garcia and Golden Boy couldn’t get their side squared away as soon as Garcia asked for a fraction more in compensation to be tacked on to his six-figure sum.

“I said ‘yes’ in replacing Sparrow, but maybe Ryan had bigger plans for us down the line,” Duno told BoxingScene.com. “If Ryan wants to have a match with me, just sign the contract. I respect his decisions. I know he’s not scared of me, because he’s a fighter too.”

Jim Claude Manangquil, Duno’s co-promoter, told BoxingScene.com that Golden Boy even offered money for Duno to step aside and allow Garcia to fight Delgado, but Team Duno held their ground and asked for Garcia instead.

“Duno didn’t even think about it twice — and we took the Garcia fight Friday and accepted the offer,” said Manangquil. “I can only speak from our side. We accepted the offer in August, too, and waited for Garcia. We respect Team Garcia decisions. We hope the fight happens soon.”

Last week, before Sparrow was arrested, Oscar De La Hoya and Garcia met with gleaming eyes, mega-watt smiles that could light up all of Los Angeles and a bromantic hug during a press conference as they ramped up the buildup of Golden Boy’s Mexican Independence Day Weekend card.

Just last month, however, everything wasn’t peaches, and punches were being pulled as Garcia voiced displeasure on social media about how his career, matchmaking and main event status was being handled by Golden Boy.

It reared its ugly head again over the weekend, as a series of “he said, she said” statements broke out between both sides.

Golden Boy president Eric Gomez said on Twitter that Team Garcia “declined the Duno fight since the trainer believed Duno was a tough opponent to take on 24 hour notice without proper preparation.”

Garcia refuted that on Twitter and said, “My coach Eddy [Reynoso] never said that! … I will continue to get peanuts, even though I move cards. I put people in seats. Crazy how I get treated. F*** that tell the truth.”

On Thursday, De La Hoya assured to BoxingScene.com that there was no disarray between Garcia and Golden Boy, and went as far as comparing the relationship between fighter and promoter to a marriage, and how it has its ups and downs.

“In boxing, you have to earn your spot. You have to earn your world title,” De La Hoya said at the time. “But I understand where [Ryan] is coming from. It’s not always going to be peaches and cream. You’re going to have roadblocks in front of you. You just have to work through them.”

De La Hoya is all too familiar with acrimonious relationships between fighters and promoters. He sued Top Rank head Bob Arum at the turn of the century to get out of his contract, but he assured at the time his alliance with Garcia is far from fledgling.

So did Garcia on Thursday, telling BoxingScene.com, “In negotiations, things get a little hectic and heated. The respect is still there for Oscar. We’re all good, and everyone is happy… I’ve always been a big advocate of worrying about myself.”

By Friday, the twist of events forced Garcia to change his stance once again.

Garcia held an impromptu conference call Saturday with his mother, father and ad visor Guadalupe Valencia admitting that he had no idea that there was a warrant out for Sparrow’s arrest until after the news came to light, and he was dissatisfied with his promoter's behavior.

But he was still willing to play ball with Duno, for the right price.

When Garcia and his camp asked for additional pay to better equate to the risk he would be taking against Duno on such short notice, negotiations hit a wall, and discontent parties ensued from all sides.

Garcia’s fans who bought tickets were not happy that the fighter was left off of the card altogether.

On the boxing holiday weekend that De La Hoya helped make a tradition and a staple of the sport, he was jeered and met with boos and mixed results in his own backyard at the Dignity Health Sports Park when he was introduced over the public address system.

“It’s very unfortunate that [Ryan Garcia’s] not fighting. A few people came to watch him, obviously,” De La Hoya said during the DAZN broadcast on Saturday. “There’s a lot of people talking in a fighter’s ears these days. It’s very unfortunate because the ones who suffer is the fighter, ultimately … I was a fighter. Money was never an issue for me. Never. I made a lot of money, but the fight was first for me. I didn’t care. I guess fighters are not like that anymore. Something is changing. It’s kind of sad.”

Golden Boy brass and Team Garcia will meet this week to further discuss the next steps in repairing their relationship.

The coming weeks will prove if both sides can salvage their marriage.

De La Hoya: Everybody Wants To Sabotage Our Canelo Relationship

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya has explained that outside parties are attempting to create friction with some of his biggest stars, like Mexican superstar Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and rising prospect Ryan Garcia.

In recent months, both Canelo and Garcia have taken to social media to complain about matters in their business relationship with Golden Boy.

“With social media you tend to react in a certain way and you can’t retract it obviously,” De La Hoya said to The Los Angeles Times. “There’s a lot of voices in his ear. Being Canelo’s promoter, I have a huge target on my back. I know that. People were trying to sabotage our dealings and our relationship but there were no surprises. We’re still Golden Boy and at the end of the day we get what we want.”

De La Hoya says his relationship with Canelo is back on the right course, as they finalized a recent deal to see the Mexican star face WBO light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev for November 2.

Last year, Canelo and Golden Boy finalized an 11 fight, five year deal with streaming service DAZN, with the deal being a reported $365 million. Canelo is recognized as the top superstar in the sport.

“I’m glad we got the fight done and I’m glad we have a long-lasting relationship that we will fulfill,” De La Hoya said.

“We’re under contract for his next 10 fights, so I’m glad that we got him what he wanted. We had to put up with a lot of B.S. from other promoters who were making it impossible to make a fight. That’s what happens when you’re the biggest athlete in the sport and making the most money; you have a target on your back and as a promoter you get the backlash. Everybody wants to sabotage our relationship but everything is fine.”

Coke Boy is shook...

Errol Spence vs. Shawn Porter - Undercard Additions

A loaded night of exciting undercard fights will feature top contenders and rising prospects stepping into the ring as part of a blockbuster event headlined by the welterweight title unification between Errol "The Truth" Spence Jr. and "Showtime" Shawn Porter Saturday, September 28 from STAPLES Center in Los Angeles. (photo by Ryan Hafey)

The FOX Sports PBC Pay-Per-View event begins at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT and features WBC Super Middleweight World Champion Anthony "The Dog" Dirrell facing unbeaten former champion David "El Bandera Roja" Benavidez in the co-main event, unbeaten contenders Mario "El Azteca" Barrios and Batyr Akhmedov battling for the WBA Super Lightweight title, and rugged veteran Josesito "The Riverside Rocky" Lopez and brawler John Molina Jr. competing in a 10-round welterweight fight.

Undercard action will see a pair of rising prospects and 2016 Mexican Olympians in action as 2016 bronze medalist Misael Rodriguez (9-0, 4 KOs) battles Detroit's Brandon Maddox (7-2-1, 5 KOs) in an eight-round super middleweight bout while Lindolfo Delgado (10-0, 10 KOs) takes on Mexico's Jesus Zazueta Anaya (6-4-1, 4 KOs) in an eight-round welterweight duel.

The lineup continues with hard-hitting super lightweight Fabian Maidana (16-1, 12 KOs) in an eight-round fight against Mexico's Ramses Agaton (21-10-3, 11 KOs), plus a trio of Dallas-natives compete as prospect Burley Brooks (3-0, 3 KOs)enters for a six-round light heavyweight fight against Mexico's Fabian Valdez (3-5), welterweight Amon Rashidi (7-0, 5 KOs)takes on Mexico's Alfonso Olvera (11-6-3, 4 KOs) in an eight-round fight and featherweight Fernando Garcia (12-1, 7 KOs) duels another Dallas-native in Juan Antonio Lopez (14-7, 6 KOs) for an eight-round bout.

Rounding out the card is unbeaten rising prospect Leon Lawson III fighting out of Flint, Michigan in an eight-round super welterweight contest versus Mexico's Alan Zavala, super lightweight prospect Justin Cardona in a four-round bout against Norcross, Georgia's Archie Weah and undefeated Mexican super featherweight prospect Jose Valenzuela taking on Dallas-native Charles Clark in a six-round attraction.

Coke Boy is shook...

I remember an article on FightHype regarding ways in which Canelo could void his Golden Boy contract on merits of missing big fights cause of coke use or drugs. This adds to layers to the onion and would like to see how this all ends.

Back