FEATURED Fury vs Usyk: Official Black Web Boxing Corner

Added to Calendar: 05-18-24

test
I have to yet to hear someone say Loma didn’t do enough to take 4 belts

Isn’t that usually the narrative in these types of matter which is that the underdog just didn’t do enough to walk away w the belts?

I have to yet to hear someone say Loma didn’t do enough to take 4 belts

Isn’t that usually the narrative in these types of matter which is that the underdog just didn’t do enough to walk away w the belts?
He really didn't. Pick em rounds will typically go to the champ.

There were at least 6 rounds that could have gone either way. Meaning at the very least 6 rounds Loma didn't do enough to take the fight.

Not to mention the 50-9 body punch discrepancy.

I scored it a draw, but Haney arguments hold more weight that Loma arguments based on the fight I watched.

And I ordered the shit, so I didn't miss crucial parts due to buffering and trying to re establish a link

Reactions: ThanksInAdvance
Okay, after two additional watches I can reevaluate my position. I still feel Loma should have won but I went into my extra viewings looking for rounds to give Haney.

My three viewings went as such:

1st: no commentary
2nd: no commentary
3rd: ESPN+ commentary (Mauro, Bradley w/ Kellerman)

My biggest take away in my repeat viewings is that I can see why some gave the fight to Haney. He remained active for the entirety of the fight and I’ve always understood that people are easily confused by activity, quality of punches be damned.

Ultimately, I don’t see how someone can score a single (clearly ineffective) body shot the same as an immediate 3 to 4 clean punch combination in return. Activity often wins, IMO, when it puts someone on their heels. But when activity is matched I have to favor punch quality. Quite a bit of Haney’s body shots were with intent and flush, but half of them were grazing w/ Loma throwing his hips back. I feel like a lot of people gave favor to Haney targeting the body over Loma cleanly targeting the head. I don’t view either tactic as inherently better than the other.

But zooming out, Haney clearly had a game plan and stuck with it beginning to end. He gets major credit for that. It showed an immense amount of discipline.

Then onto the commentary. The ESPN+ broadcast was heavily complimentary to Haney’s body shots, rightly so, but it’s clearly what influenced some peoples perspective on the fight. They constantly called attention to it and thus it loudly stood out for the remainder of the fight. I noticed in the third watch w/ commentary that as they spoke on it and showed replays in between rounds I was no longer taking notice of the work Loma was putting in between those body shots, because it put me in a mental state of looking for and taking notice of the next one. Haney’s body work wasn’t THAT far superior to anything that Loma was doing. And with fairness I can say the same holds true vice versa, but with a MAJOR caveat.

Only one fighter won any individual round decisively and that was Loma. And I actually think he had two decisive rounds in the 10th & 11th. The problem with Loma’s game plan for the entirety of his professional run thus far has been him opting to come on aggressive late. If he was able to get those decisive rounds early on, I wholly believe it would influence how the judges scored the close rounds for the remainder of the fight.

My card:

Okay, after two additional watches I can reevaluate my position. I still feel Loma should have won but I went into my extra viewings looking for rounds to give Haney.

My biggest take away in my repeat viewings is that I can see why some gave the fight to Haney. He remained active for the entirety of the fight and I’ve always understood that people are easily confused by activity, quality of punches be damned.

Ultimately, I don’t see how someone can score a single (clearly ineffective) body shot the same as an immediate 3 to 4 clean punch combination in return. Activity often wins, IMO, when it puts someone on their heels. But when activity is matched I have to favor punch quality. Quite a bit of Haney’s body shots were with intent and flush, but half of them were grazing w/ Loma throwing his hips back. I feel like a lot of people gave favor to Haney targeting the body over Loma cleanly targeting the head. I don’t view either tactic as inherently better than the other.

But zooming out, Haney clearly had a game plan and stuck with it beginning to end. He gets major credit for that. It showed an immense amount of discipline.

Then onto the commentary. The ESPN+ broadcast was heavily complimentary to Haney’s body shots, rightly so, but it’s clearly what influenced some peoples perspective on the fight. They constantly called attention to it and thus it loudly stood out for the remainder of the fight. I noticed in the third watch w/ commentary that as they spoke on it and showed replays in between rounds I was no longer taking notice of the work Loma was putting in between those body shots, because it put me in a mental state of looking for and taking notice of the next one. Haney’s body work wasn’t THAT far superior to anything that Loma was doing. And with fairness I can say the same holds true vice versa, but with a MAJOR caveat.

Only one fighter won any individual round decisively and that was Loma. And I actually think he had two decisive rounds in the 10th & 11th. The problem with Loma’s game plan for the entirety of his professional run thus far has been him opting to come on aggressive late. If he was able to get those decisive rounds early on, I wholly believe it would influence how the judges scored the close rounds for the remainder of the fight.

My card:

Well said.

Haney's gameplan was so obvious, it was easy to ignore the rest at times. In the end, it worked for him. Not sure if there's a rematch clause but i'd love to see those two go at it one more and see who come up with the better adjustments.

Even though I had Haney slightly ahead (winning the fight) the 10th round Haney looked lost. He didn't know what to do.

I think that's really what people are getting caught up in. Like it or not, boxing is scored by round. A lot of those rounds could have gone either way, so it's crazy to call this a robbery. That said, at no point did Loma look out of sorts, but he clearly had Haney in danger a couple times. It's understandable to see that and believe that Loma was the better fighter. Unfortunately, that's not how it works.

Reactions: Lion_Heart

My card:

Well would you look at that. You and i had the exact same scoring through the first half of the fight

Haney v Lomachenko
1 9-10
2 10-9
3 9-10
4 10-9
5 10-9
6 10-9
7 9-10
8 10-9
9 10-9
10 9-10
11 9-10
12 10-9

In fact there are only three rounds that we didn't score the same, 7,8 and 9.

That's how close this shit was.