Welcome To aBlackWeb

NYC Landlord Posts Giant Sign Calling Out Non-Paying Tenants

keemz

#gaza4eva #freeKartel #FreeSiva
deadbeat-renter-064.jpg

In a sign of the times, a fed-up Queens landlord posted two giant banners calling out his allegedly deadbeat tenants for owing him $17,000 in back rent.

“MY TENANTS ON THE FIRST FLOOR ARE NOT PAYING RENT” read the bold posters slung above the first-floor rental on 175th Street in Springfield Gardens.

Landlords Calvin and Jean Thompson posted the banners — which can be seen from the Belt Parkway — in the hopes of shaming their tenants into paying up. It was also featured in a TikTok video that got more than 14,000 likes — and supportive comments like, “Not paying your bills is ghetto.”

The Thompsons, who are married, have owned the two-family home since 1989. They began the process of trying to evict Marie and Eugene Lamour and their daughter Kathia in Queens Housing Court last month.

But with nearly 200,000 eviction cases pending in the city after pandemic protections and the state’s eviction moratorium created a historic backlog, the landlords see humiliation as the next best tactic.

“The signs are very embarrassing and shameful for them,” said the Thompsons’ son, Calvin Jr. “That’s the only voice we have at this stage: freedom of speech.”
The signs seem to be working: Kathia Lamour tried to cut one sign down, Calvin Jr. claims.

“When she calls Uber, she won’t do it in front of the house anymore,” he said. “She runs to the end of the block, so they don’t see them.

“It’s uncomfortable that we have to hang these up, but we’re $20,000 uncomfortable, so I think a sign is very minor.”

Problems began in July when the Thompsons raised the rent on the Lamours’ three-bedroom pad from $1,800 a month to $1,900, the first rent hike in nine years, according to Calvin Jr.

The Lamours didn’t want to pay the 5% increase. Kathia, who works for the city Department of Social Services and makes $46,731, according to GovSalaries.com, told The Post she tried to drop off $1,800 in rent instead of the new amount, but the Thompsons refused to take it — so she stopped paying altogether.

“It’s like all of the sudden, we’re bad tenants,” said Kathia, who has been on unpaid medical leave from her job since the summer. “They were bamboozling me into an increase. They went ballistic on me because I wouldn’t give it to them.”

“I don’t think a $100 increase for almost a decade of living is unreasonable,” Calvin Jr. said. “There are plenty of landlords in our situation because of COVID. A lot of eviction cases are backlogged. She knows this and is going to ride this out.”

The state’s eviction moratorium, which ended in January, gave wide latitude to renters suffering hardship from the pandemic, but left many landlords in a lurch. The moratorium also allowed renters to put the brakes on an eviction case against them by claiming financial hardship without having to prove it.

The Lamours did not file any COVID hardship forms.

Both families live in the same building, and the only thing separating them is floorboards.

The Lamours’ lawyer, Andreas Spiker, said the sign is a form of harassment and will only hurt the Thompsons’ case.

Nah, somebody owe me 17k a sign is the least of their problems. This when you get your goon family members to run up in that apartment and put a hurting on everyone
Then you would never get your money back. In fact, they would probably sue you. So now you owe money and will probably do jail time. If you in the pin, who gonna manage your building now? They still gonna be in your house.

Then you would never get your money back. In fact, they would probably sue you. So now you owe money and will probably do jail time. If you in the pin, who gonna manage your building now? They still gonna be in your house.
They not getting the money back anyway

I don't know what the lease states but a $100 increase after 9 years is more than acceptable and fair. Most places go up $25 -50 every year on rent. Those people gotta get the fuck out of my spot if they bitching about $100 after 9 years. Fuck they think is really going on here.

c6b6e075-826a-4831-bfc4-a61b263c7d26_text.gif

I don't know what the lease states but a $100 increase after 9 years is more than acceptable and fair. Most places go up $25 -50 every year on rent. Those people gotta get the fuck out of my spot if they bitching about $100 after 9 years. Fuck they think is really going on here.

Inflation is a mf

Im gonna blame the govt before I blame any side in this.

If a person could pay their rent last month, but cant pay their rent this month for a valid reason, then there should be some protection for the tenant and the homeowner.

Just cause the tenant lost their job, doesnt mean they should be homeless.

But also, just cause a tenant lost their job, shouldnt mean the homeowner doesnt get their rent.

Smh. Our govt fails us in so many ways.

Word. Turning down $1800 over $100 is dumb af. Could have took that money and took em to court for the short.

Naw. Actually taking the rent if it’s short will make it harder for the home owner if he’s trying to get them out.

Only 100 after 9 years?

They was doing good with that rent price then

Only 100 after 9 years?

They was doing good with that rent price then

That's what I'm saying one increase after 9 fucking years and it's only $100 and these people bitching. They getting the fuck out!!! Their complaint don't even make sense. Paying $1800 for 9 years then complain cause it went to $1900. When the renters know got damn well the price of everything else they've been paying in that 9 years has gone up damn near yearly but they'll be damned if the rent goes. LLS they been living in fantasy land or some shit.

IMO the renters trying to take advantage because all rent protections cause of the pandemic.

Back