Welcome To aBlackWeb

• The British actress Lashana Lynch will be a 007 agent in the new James Bond movie, "No Time to Die."
  • The role detail was confirmed in a new Harper's Bazaar profile of Lynch.
  • Lynch's role in the movie was leaked last year and led to a backlash online.
  • Harper's Bazaar said that when the backlash hit, Lynch "deleted her social-media apps, meditated and saw no one but family" for a week.
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.
Lashana Lynch will play the first Black female 007 in the James Bond movie "No Time to Die," Harper's Bazaar confirmed in a new profile of the actress.

While the confirmation is new, news of Lynch's role leaked last year, leading to a backlash from people online who weren't ready for a Black woman as a secret agent.

"For a week, she deleted her social-media apps, meditated and saw no one but family, while comforting herself with the knowledge that the aggressive comments were ultimately not personal," Yrsa Daley-Ward wrote of Lynch.

"I am one Black woman — if it were another Black woman cast in the role, it would have been the same conversation, she would have got the same attacks, the same abuse," Lynch said. "I just have to remind myself that the conversation is happening and that I'm a part of something that will be very, very revolutionary."

Lashana Lynch United Artists

Lynch in "No Time to Die." United Artists
According to the Harper's Bazaar story, Lynch's character, Nomi, takes over the 007 spy code name when James Bond (Daniel Craig) disappears following the events of "Spectre."

Daley-Ward wrote that Lynch worked closely with the "No Time to Die" co-screenwriter Phoebe Waller-Bridge (the creator of "Fleabag") to have Nomi be a "fresh female perspective" in the male-focused franchise.

Lynch also said there was another goal in having a role like this in such an anticipated movie.

"I didn't want to waste an opportunity when it came to what Nomi might represent," she said. "I searched for at least one moment in the script where Black audience members would nod their heads, tutting at the reality but glad to see their real life represented. In every project I am part of, no matter the budget or genre, the Black experience that I'm presenting needs to be 100 percent authentic."

"No Time To Die" is set to be in theaters on April 2

Race pandering. ?

The British want too much to please their American viewership. First a scenaristically underdevelopped female Doctor for marketing motives, then a female black queer 007.

Then after what? A non-binary King Arthur? Or a straight Sherlock Holmes for the Republican poll??
Sherlock was gay?

And why 007 gotta be black AND gay? I hate that 2 for 1 shit. Let everyone have they own shine. They not slick.

Sherlock was gay?

And why 007 gotta be black AND gay? I hate that 2 for 1 shit. Let everyone have they own shine. They not slick.

It used to be coded in the novels that he and Watson were more but friends.
They lived together for long, were basically semi-dating frequently and found themselves every once and again in embarassing situations full of homoerotic subtext, at the great spite of Watson who was the most conventional of the duo.

Apparently, semi-platonic same-sex friendship - or what they call "Victorian romantic friendship" - was quite recurrent in Victorian society.
Then the film and television adaptations simply omitted this detail, until Bryan Singer made one or two offhand jokes about it in 'House M.D.' (which was loosely inspired from Holmes) and that both Guy Ritchie and the Steven Moffatt/Mark Gatiss co-team did separately re-accentuate the detective's bisexuality in their separate works, the Sherlock Holmes film franchise (starring Robert Downey Jr) and the BBC TV series Sherlock (starring Benedict Cumberbatch) respectively. Their two respective iterations of Holmes are so gay it is even astonishing that they are actually bi.

I don't know about Henry Cavill's Holmes (and I doubt so. Although, even the manliest actors in Hollywood can surprize us while impersonating any character. Remember Hugh Jackman?) , though. I didn't watched 'Enola Holmes' yet, but I already did know by advance that the series want to cater on young queer Millenials and Gen-Zs by promoting Enola (played by Millie Bobby Brown, a well-known figure amid teenage LGBTs) as a lesbian. So even there, we can talk as much about typical Netflix-fashioned demographic pandering (with oft bland results, scenaristically wise) as a nod to the Sherlock Holmes from the novels.

Yea, I am not a fan of commercial tokenism too. I prefer pretty original black characters rather than genderswapping/raceswapping/orientation-swapping popular white characters as if we're just but meek pets awaiting for the wastes and the bait. ?

• Ether
Reactions: GNS
Nothing wrong with making a black character. We supposed to believe it’s not black UK secret agents? But I think when you make these movies about black spies for western powers you gotta include some woke shit. Like the conflict of working for a government that wasn’t for your people.

Also white fans are always mad fuck them

There used to be a black spy working alongside Bond during the Pierce Brosman era and they removed him in the reboot simply because his actor, Colin Salmon (the guy who played General Zod in 'Krypton') later auditioned to play Bond in that said reboot. Some people even said the Broccolis choose Daniel Craig, a blond blue-eyed man (when Bond is dark haired) as a middle finger to him and any black actor who would dare auditioning.

They're no allies. #pandering

It used to be coded in the novels that he and Watson were more but friends.
They lived together for long, were basically semi-dating frequently and found themselves every once and again in embarassing situations full of homoerotic subtext, at the great spite of Watson who was the most conventional of the duo.

Apparently, semi-platonic same-sex friendship - or what they call "Victorian romantic friendship" - was quite recurrent in Victorian society.
Then the film and television adaptations simply omitted this detail, until Bryan Singer made one or two offhand jokes about it in 'House M.D.' (which was loosely inspired from Holmes) and that both Guy Ritchie and the Steven Moffatt/Mark Gatiss co-team did separately re-accentuate the detective's bisexuality in their separate works, the Sherlock Holmes film franchise (starring Robert Downey Jr) and the BBC TV series Sherlock (starring Benedict Cumberbatch) respectively. Their two respective iterations of Holmes are so gay it is even astonishing that they are actually bi.

I don't know about Henry Cavill's Holmes (and I doubt so. Although, even the manliest actors in Hollywood can surprize us while impersonating any character. Remember Hugh Jackman?) , though. I didn't watched 'Enola Holmes' yet, but I already did know by advance that the series want to cater on young queer Millenials and Gen-Zs by promoting Enola (played by Millie Bobby Brown, a well-known figure amid teenage LGBTs) as a lesbian. So even there, we can talk as much about typical Netflix-fashioned demographic pandering (with oft bland results, scenaristically wise) as a nod to the Sherlock Holmes from the novels.

Yea, I am not a fan of commercial tokenism too. I prefer pretty original black characters rather than genderswapping/raceswapping/orientation-swapping popular white characters as if we're just but meek pets awaiting for the wastes and the bait. ?
Well this just blew my mind
Smh at the faggotry
I thought benedicts sherlock was just a weirdo not ah batty man.
Was planning on watching the netflix joint at some point too. If ole girl really dyking I'm passing

Well this just blew my mind
Smh at the faggotry
I thought benedicts sherlock was just a weirdo not ah batty man.
Was planning on watching the netflix joint at some point too. If ole girl really dyking I'm passing
Sherlock from the tv series isn't as gay as he is writing. They do allude to him being gay/bi/whatever then brush it off as Sherlock is just Sherlock in like the first episode. Then never bring it up again.
Watch the show, it's one of the best.

Sherlock from the tv series isn't as gay as he is writing. They do allude to him being gay/bi/whatever then brush it off as Sherlock is just Sherlock in like the first episode. Then never bring it up again.
Watch the show, it's one of the best.
Nah I've watched it b4. As I said I just thought he was a weirdo but if that whole victorian era faggotry was a thing I can see why that weirdo steeze flew over my head.
As a straight male unless a dude is a flaming homo I wouldn't know they're gay. Just interesting to find out

Back