Welcome To aBlackWeb

NBA Offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda hear where you are coming from but I disagree.

If you haven't signed your contract or have some type of injuries I can understand not playing in Summer League. One of the reasons most teams would like to have their players attended and take part in the games is to see what things their players are good and bad at in a some what NBA game setting. Practice can only help so much if you aren't applying the things you learned in a game setting.

Yeah there is preseason to learn things but the rookies are still a little bit more behind the 8 ball due to not really playing an actual competitive game. That's why Mitchell and Trier stated what they did. Playing Summer League could also help players land more lucrative endorsements if they really show out while there

Players could get hurt practicing, vacationing or chilling at home relaxing so using getting hurt as an excuse when you already signed a contract isn't the best excuse. Not to mention if you do get hurt the team is still paying for the surgery and your time. Lol.

Man the only players that benefit from summer league are those that didn't get drafted and want to get spots on the end of rosters, training camp tryouts or two way deals.

I don't think you can actually name any endorsements players have got from playing well in summer league.

I agree with the last paragraph. Injuries are unpredictable af and can happen doing just about anything.

Still if I'm a team I'd weigh the risks of having a lotto pick out there for any extended period of time just to see what they're good or bad at when I spend millions per year on scouting said players. They know what they're good and bad at already.

You definitely have them there at the event to meet players and coaches. Try to mentally prepare them a bit but summer league does nothing for a frp. Especially a top lotto guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did I say they shouldn't?

Still if I'm a team I don't risk a lotto pick for summer league to see what they're good or bad at when I spend millions per year on scouting said players. They know what they're good and bad at already.

You definitely have them there at the event to meet players and coaches. Try to mentally prepare them a bit but summer league does nothing for a frp. Especially a top lotto guy.

If you don't mean that they shouldn't play, then what did this mean?

If you don't mean that they shouldn't play, then what did this mean?

I agreed with the pelicans and the Zion situation. He played and was out there. All I was saying if I'm the team or the player I understand not wanting to risk injury. The summer league isn't a proving ground for a frp and ultimately does nothing for them.

I never said they shouldn't play. Its enough fucking words there for you to not put any in my mouth.

I agreed with the pelicans and the Zion situation. He played and was out there. All I was saying if I'm the team or the player I understand not wanting to risk injury. The summer league isn't a proving ground for a frp and ultimately does nothing for them.

I never said they shouldn't play. Its enough fucking words there for you to not put any in my mouth.

There's also enough words there to get your meaning misconstrued, if you never meant that they shouldn't play.

I mean what's the point in them playing if it does nothing for them?

There's also enough words there to get your meaning misconstrued, if you never meant that they shouldn't play.

I mean what's the point in them playing if it does nothing for them?

That's for the teams spending millions on them to decide.

Man the only players that benefit from summer league are those that didn't get drafted and want to get spots on the end of rosters, training camp tryouts or two way deals.

I don't think you can actually name any endorsements players have got from playing well in summer league.

I agree with the last paragraph. Injuries are unpredictable af and can happen doing just about anything.

Still if I'm a team I'd weigh the risks of having a lotto pick out there for any extended period of time just to see what they're good or bad at when I spend millions per year on scouting said players. They know what they're good and bad at already.

I can understand not playing the guys every Summer League game if they have looked well playing in them. These teams do scout players but the teams don't have footage of the players against constant NBA talent. The teams don't truly know how all those players will react to the challenge of better competition or adversity. Especially players who went to stacked teams where they were not the focal point on offense or defense.

But if the players who aren't hurt are going to hold out for fear of getting injured or because they don't benefit from it then the same players shouldn't play in pro am games over the Summer like Dykeman, The Crawsover or, The Drew League because those games are less useful for their NBA careers than the Summer League.

I could agree with yours and these agents logic if the players didn't play (non NBA team supervised) pick up games or in tournaments later on in the summer but we all know this isn't going to be the case for a good amount of these guys who will not play in the Summer League.

What all this really comes down to ( especially with Zion) is a lot of the agents put more emphasis on marketing these players through going to events and stuff which can take away from them working out and getting ready for their actual career when coming out for the draft. I get they should brand themselves to make as much as they can off court but the player or agent shouldn't make that priority over what got them this attention. Going to the ESPY's or doing interviews shouldn't be the reason you couldn't go work out

Last edited:
I can understand not playing the guys every Summer League game if they have looked well playing in them. These teams do scout players but the teams don't have footage of the players against constant NBA talent. The teams don't truly know how all those players will react to the challenge of better competition or adversity. Especially players who went to stacked teams where they were not the focal point on offense or defense.

But if the players who aren't hurt are going to hold out for fear of getting injured or because they don't benefit from it then the same players shouldn't play in pro am games over the Summer like Dykeman, The Crawsover or, The Drew League because those games are less useful for their NBA careers than the Summer League.

Summer league isn't nba talent.

i agree with the rest. I find pro am even more useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back