Welcome To aBlackWeb

FEATURED Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name

test
Aight A&R AP.
Give me your request to make a classic song/album.
Lol

Nah b

All I'm saying is I don't wanna box homie in

I thought the sound hit did(at times) did feel like something from back in the day but it was more contemporary. e.g. Death Row East. Sounds like the 90s West Coast sound but modern

Hell, even the first part of "Michael and Quincy" before the beat switch

Every track on Magic 1 was an ode to the 90s

Lol

Nah b

All I'm saying is I don't wanna box homie in

I thought the sound hit did(at times) did feel like something from back in the day but it was more contemporary. e.g. Death Row East. Sounds like the 90s West Coast sound but modern

Hell, even the first part of "Michael and Quincy" before the beat switch

Every track on Magic 1 was an ode to the 90s
Aight Lil Referee Whistle

Give me a classic EP, 3-6 songs with producers of your choosing.

Some of you Niggas acting like Preme forced the beat on Nas like that was the only beat he got. Would I prefer boom bap beats, of course but shit this isn't 90's. That would be like Dre still doing G Funk.
As a producer, you guild and advise the artist…. Yes even the veterans in the game need “coaching”

They are trusting you when you say THIS beat is it

Worst case scenario, this sadly was the best out the lot, Preemo had to offer him
:ohshit2:

Last edited:
As a producer, you guild and advice the artist…. Yes even the veterans in the game need “coaching”

They are trusting you when you say THIS beat is it

Worst case scenario, this sadly was the best out the lot, Preemo had to offer him :ohshit2:
Who would he be saving his best for? Fuckin Royce?
Theeee Royce who hid his tail to Lupe.
Idk bruh. I feel Preme got something tucked in the stash for Nas.

Just listened to the track again, Nas killed more than first thought... The beat felt abit light for Premo, needed abit more depth...

As dope as Nas was, it would be dope hear a LITTLE less grown Nas on a few tracks and just hear straight up boombap hip hop with faster flow, like on 'Nas Is Like'... Thing is though Nas isnt 20yr anymore so we cant expect a project like they are in their prime, the guys are in their 50s...

ALC has dropped off too though, more then Premo... From what Ive heard the dude is fully on those drumless beats, nothing like prime ALC... That 'Elephant Man's Bones' album was weak as fck and I love Roc Marci...

The ALC has been in a deep depression ever since Prodigy untimely passing
And his production has been reflecting this

That’s my theory anyway

Because it’s been time for him to move away from these drumless tired uninspiring beats. It’s almost laziness at this point

Yea, in 2024 I'd be the most hype for a Nas and Alchemist collab album.

Him or Madlib are the best living producers he could pair with. Madlib's only done like one Dilla song with Nas iirc.

If we're looking for Nas gliding over drumless beats tho......ROC MARCI is the Allah of that shyt, blessings be upon his name....

(btw the best DEAD producer Nas could pair with is Nujabes)

Y'all think it's going to be better than PRyme?

part of what made that album so great was Preemo was given a bunch of killer Adrian Younge songs to flip

Last edited:
Wow @ him saying he didn't think he'd be rapping at an old age. Thats really a thing. I think people get it fucked up because it's ok to be an old rapper, if youve been around. You just can't START rapping at an older age, that's what's corny. If you been doing this since a teenager at what point should you just STOP? What day is that?

Too short "retired" because he turned 30, not for any other reason. That was in like 96. He realized how stupid it is to not go into a vocal booth because of your birthdate.

Music is timeless and ageless in general, so why stop? Especially if your voice sounds the same, no one knows or cares your age

Fuccin Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones are 286 years old and STILL touring. Only in hip hop where mofos put an age limit on our own music.

ALC has dropped off too though, more then Premo... From what Ive heard the dude is fully on those drumless beats, nothing like prime ALC... That 'Elephant Man's Bones' album was weak as fck and I love Roc Marci...

Alan been droppin thermonuclear heat like 5 times a year for 13 years straight. I can't even tell when he's sampling or not anymore. We not doin this lol. You complaining about drumless beats on a album he did for Mr. Drumless Beats lol c'mon bruh

Worst case scenario, this sadly was the best out the lot, Preemo had to offer him
Sigh........................

We're talking about the best selection skills of Nas here. Lol. RIP.

There are like no less than 10 tracks on here that shit on Define My Name. Smh. Like imagine Nas tearing apart Climbmax or Here We Go. Don't even listen to those tracks after reading the previous sentence, you'll just get mad smh.

Or how about that DMX beat on there as a tribute song. Unauthorized Biography of DMX.

Preemo got heat but you gotta be able to tell the fire from the mids........

Sigh........................

We're talking about the best selection skills of Nas here. Lol. RIP.

There are like no less than 10 tracks on here that shit on Define My Name. Smh. Like imagine Nas tearing apart Climbmax or Here We Go. Don't even listen to those tracks after reading the previous sentence, you'll just get mad smh.

Or how about that DMX beat on there as a tribute song. Unauthorized Biography of DMX.

Preemo got heat but you gotta be able to tell the fire from the mids........

This album so was littered with mid...to utterly unlistenable beats...it's no small wonder they "collected dust"

Solid. But not blow your socks off.

Straight head-nod shit.

Could’ve used more before the loop, but I aint mad.

7.5/10.

Who would he be saving his best for? Fuckin Royce?
Theeee Royce who hid his tail to Lupe.
Idk bruh. I feel Preme got something tucked in the stash for Nas.

Sadly…at this point , I don’t believe he is “saving” anything.

Unless it’s old beats he made 10-15 years ago on his old equipment before the switch up. I think this is it for him 🤦🏾‍♂️

Here is the root of the problem described in an article a few years ago:

After 2 decades of using the Akai MPC60II combined with the Akai S950, which could make everything sound dirty and grimy in a magical way, DJ Premier switched to the MPC Renaissance: resulting in a plastic sound that feels like stock sounds and cheesy sound banks instead of sampling rare grooves or chopping up break loops.

The ALC has been in a deep depression ever since Prodigy untimely passing
And his production has been reflecting this

That’s my theory anyway

Because it’s been time for him to move away from these drumless tired uninspiring beats. It’s almost laziness at this point

I never knew or thought of that tbh

The thing is the drumless beat scene is a trend, GxFR and Craven etc are all over it...

Alan been droppin thermonuclear heat like 5 times a year for 13 years straight. I can't even tell when he's sampling or not anymore. We not doin this lol. You complaining about drumless beats on a album he did for Mr. Drumless Beats lol c'mon bruh

Since 2020:

Alfredo (Freddie Gibbs) - Beats were meh and boring for me, I know the album was chilled but he had drumless on there too...

Haram (Armand Hammer) - Pretty much the same description as Alfredo...

Continuance (Currensy) - Had a couple more soul samples which was dope, again mad slow and chilled beats...

The Elephant Man's Bones (Roc Marciano) - Already left my comments on that..

The Great Escape (Larry June) - Prolly my favourite beats since 2020 but feel like Im repeating myself, as they are extra chilled and pretty slow...

Voir Dire (Earl Sweatshirt) - Found the beats repetitive...

I get producers need to reinvent themselves and the beats are still skilful to make, like hes a genius to produce them, I can appreciate them but I just prefer his older stuff...

ALC is a GOAT, I just dont like the way he went after 'Silent Partner' with Havoc, even then you could see the direction he was heading production-wise... Maybe it doesnt help the rappers have a very laid back flow too, that with the beats and just makes me lose interest in the tracks alot of the time...

Back