Welcome To aBlackWeb

Name a old school rapper that kids today probably never heard of

I've got a good one

Spoonie G. He's an old school MC from Harlem. He's the class of 1979. His single Spoonin Rap may or may not have been released before Rappers Delight. There was a book published circa 2001 that asserted that Spoonin Rap came out before Rappers Delight but the people at Sound Of New York Records didn't keep accurate records so nobody knows for sure. There's another book called Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists that asserts that Spoonin Rap came out in 1980, but that's clearly wrong.

R-6380627-1434137377-7344.jpeg.jpg

So anyway, that record came out in 1979.

He released a handful of records in the early 80s that are worth checking out

1. Spoonin Rap
2. Love Rap
3. New Rap Language (Spoonie G feat The Treacherous 3)
4. Monster Jam - Spoonie G meets The Sequence
5. Spoonie Is Back
5. The Big Beat
6. Street Girl
7. Get Off My Tip
8. That's My Style (Response to Gucci Time by School D)
9. Take It Off
10. The Godfather
11. I'll Serve You Right
12. I'm All Shook Up

Then he released this album in 1987

R-124520-1306229740.jpeg.jpg

By that point people like LL Cool J, KRS One, Rakim and Ice Cube were making videos and Spoonie G got lost in the shuffle. I remember reading in an interview that he didn't really want to be in the spotlight. He didn't want to be a celebrity.

But if you make a playlist of the songs I listed, he made some decent songs. To be honest, I prefer Spoonie G to Kool Moe Dee. And actually Spoonie G came out before Kool Moe Dee. It's been said that Spoonie G was the first solo rapper. Apparently he was a member of the Treacherous 3 and one day somebody asked him if he wanted to make a record, so he did (Spoonin Rap) which effectively made him a solo rapper. He eventually put The Treacherous 3 on the b-side of one of his 12" singles (Love Rap/New Rap Language) And two of his songs were on Sugarhill (Monster Jam and Spoonie Is Back). So by that yardstick you could say he was successful.

There's another story that Busy B bought one of Spoonie G's rhymes. That's why if you listen to the Kool Moe Dee vs Busy B battle he mentions stealing Spoonie G's rhymes.

I think there's two songs on Sugarhill; Making Cash Money by Busy Bee and Spoonie Is Back by Spoonie G that have the same beat and Busy B is rapping a verse that Spoonie G wrote.

Also, iirc Spoonie G wrote some of New York New York by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 and iirc he also wrote some of If I Ruled The World by Kurtis Blow.

Anyway, I'd suggest making a Spoonie G playlist and giving the songs I listed a listen. If you're going to be knowledgable about Hip Hop, you have to know who Spoonie G is.

Last edited:
I've got a good one

Spoonie G. He's an old school MC from Harlem. He's the class of 1979. His single Spoonin Rap may or may not have been released before Rappers Delight. There was a book published circa 2001 that asserted that Spoonin Rap came out before Rappers Delight but the people at Sound Of New York Records didn't keep accurate records so nobody knows for sure. There's another book called Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists that asserts that Spoonin Rap came out in 1980, but that's clearly wrong.

View attachment 716805

So anyway, that record came out in 1979.

He released a handful of records in the early 80s that are worth checking out

1. Spoonin Rap
2. Love Rap
3. New Rap Language (Spoonie G feat The Treacherous 3)
4. Monster Jam - Spoonie G meets The Sequence
5. Spoonie Is Back
5. The Big Beat
6. Street Girl
7. Get Off My Tip
8. That's My Style (Response to Gucci Time by School D)
9. Take It Off
10. The Godfather
11. I'll Serve You Right
12. I'm All Shook Up

Then he released this album in 1987

View attachment 716814

By that point people like LL Cool J, KRS One, Rakim and Ice Cube were making videos and Spoonie G got lost in the shuffle. I remember reading in an interview that he didn't really want to be in the spotlight. He didn't want to be a celebrity.

But if you make a playlist of the songs I listed, he made some decent songs. To be honest, I prefer Spoonie G to Kool Moe Dee. And actually Spoonie G came out before Kool Moe Dee. It's been said that Spoonie G was the first solo rapper. Apparently he was a member of the Treacherous 3 and one day somebody asked him if he wanted to make a record, so he did (Spoonin Rap) which effectively made him a solo rapper. He eventually put The Treacherous 3 on the b-side of one of his 12" singles (Love Rap/New Rap Language) And two of his songs were on Sugarhill (Monster Jam and Spoonie Is Back). So by that yardstick you could say he was successful.

There's another story that Busy B bought one of Spoonie G's rhymes. That's why if you listen to the Kool Moe Dee vs Busy B battle he mentions stealing Spoonie G's rhymes.

I think there's two songs on Sugarhill; Making Cash Money by Busy Bee and Spoonie Is Back by Spoonie G that have the same beat and Busy B is rapping a verse that Spoonie G wrote.

Also, iirc Spoonie G wrote some of New York New York by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5 and iirc he also wrote some of If I Ruled The World by Kurtis Blow.

Anyway, I'd suggest making a Spoonie G playlist and giving the songs I listed a listen. If you're going to be knowledgable about Hip Hop, you have to know who Spoonie G is.

I know a few records of him….dude would just straight spit fire without a hook

Back