Welcome To aBlackWeb

Movie Night (Official Movie Discussion Thread)

Rewatching Starship Troopers for the millionth time right now. I still say this movie would be great as a series. Have Seth Macfarlane helm it he’s done well with Orville. This could be similar. Idk I’m just spitballing because I love this damn movie.

Rewatching Starship Troopers for the millionth time right now. I still say this movie would be great as a series. Have Seth Macfarlane helm it he’s done well with Orville. This could be similar. Idk I’m just spitballing because I love this damn movie.
Also GOAT that a black guy carried out the 10 lashings on Rico. It’s the little things lol

They had a animated series of that counts

Spiderhead

Mind Numbing

PRAISE : This movie about Two inmates forming a connection while grappling with their pasts in a state-of-the-art penitentiary run by a brilliant visionary who experiments on his subjects with mind-altering drugs immediately made me think about those old clinical trial ads I used to see in the back of magazines and newspapers. Oh for 600 bucks you just have to try this new drug for a week.
The first half of the movie pulled me in as subjects in an open air prison are tested with mood drugs that alter perception, sexual promiscuity and anger.
It definitely had its fun moments that's helped along by a good cast including:Chris Hemsworth · Miles Teller · Jurnee Smollett-Bell · Mark Paguio · Tess Haubrich and Joseph Kosinski .
Teller and Bell have good chemistry that really worked in key scenes. The movie excelled at the exploration of the main characters.There are some pretty good harrowing scenes. The movie is beautifully shot with great cinema photography.

PROBLEMS: The second half is boring and one note. Several things go unexplained. It felt like I was starting to watch another version of The Island of Dr Moreau. If they had only maintained the nightmarish thread of the story and the pushing it to the limit of the trial subjects this could have been a far better movie.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5

Watched Dunkirk a couple nights ago. Not much of a script but the score and cinematography was on point. I preferred 1917 over Dunkirk if we're comparing war films

Just watched "the green knight". Boring and long. Had to look up the meaning behind this movie cause I really didnt get it. As I looked it up, saw it was by A24. There movies are hit and miss with me. The ones that miss for me are just like this movie. Too many metaphors and coded meanings. You have to know certain things before going into the movie. Similar to that midsomar movie and witch. This was boring like witch.

Just watched "the green knight". Boring and long. Had to look up the meaning behind this movie cause I really didnt get it. As I looked it up, saw it was by A24. There movies are hit and miss with me. The ones that miss for me are just like this movie. Too many metaphors and coded meanings. You have to know certain things before going into the movie. Similar to that midsomar movie and witch. This was boring like witch.
Started this movie last year bcos of Dev Patel, i am half way through. Will try and finish it before the end of the year, lol

I didnt think it was that bad... but yeah I agree about them fuckin A24 movies. More weirdo fuckin misses than anything worth watching

I didnt think it was that bad... but yeah I agree about them fuckin A24 movies. More weirdo fuckin misses than anything worth watching
Maybe I went in with different expectations. I like medieval movies. Thought there was gonna be battles in this.

Also I was looking up movies and then wondered why I can’t find any showtimes for crimes of the future

I was wondering if something happened to the movie

I looked at a review and came across this

“From the mind of David Cronenberg.” That’s your first warning signal. I’ve been able to endure a few of his epic horrors in the past, but 90% of the time I’ve found no evidence of any kind of mind at all. Still, in what has become of a film industry badly in need of triage, wonders never cease. Quick on the heels of its world premiere a few weeks ago in Cannes, where it was shown to audiences who walked out in droves, loudly booed and declared “unreleasable,” Crimes of the Future is now upon us, like a rabid raccoon.”

now I really wanna see it lol

Also I was looking up movies and then wondered why I can’t find any showtimes for crimes of the future

I was wondering if something happened to the movie

I looked at a review and came across this

“From the mind of David Cronenberg.” That’s your first warning signal. I’ve been able to endure a few of his epic horrors in the past, but 90% of the time I’ve found no evidence of any kind of mind at all. Still, in what has become of a film industry badly in need of triage, wonders never cease. Quick on the heels of its world premiere a few weeks ago in Cannes, where it was shown to audiences who walked out in droves, loudly booed and declared “unreleasable,” Crimes of the Future is now upon us, like a rabid raccoon.”

now I really wanna see it lol

https://www.scnsrc.me/crimes-of-the-future-2022-2160p-web-dl-dd5-1-hevc-cmrg/

It's out on gang.. I aint watchin that bullshit tho lol

I randomly decided to watch Rise, on Disney Plus, the other day. It's the life story of Giannia Antetenkoumpo and his brothers. From the time their parents got to Greece until he was drafted. It was surprisingly good. I didn't expect much. But the shit was pretty decent. Shit surprised me.

The Black Phone

Dial H for Horror

PRAISE: Based on a short story written by Joe Hill son of Stephen King this story about Finney Shaw a shy but clever 13-year-old boy who's being held in a soundproof basement by a sadistic, masked killer. When a disconnected phone on the wall starts to ring it may lead to him escaping his captor was very involving, funny and horrifying at times.
When movies have that thread of child abduction I'm already on edge. I think one of the most horrible things in this life to experience is a missing child.So by layering this movie with a beyond creepy abductor and likeable characters you already score points with me.
The kid actors in this movie are outstanding they include: Mason Thames, Miguel Cazarez Mora,and Madeleine McGraw.
Ethan Hawke definitely goes into ultra creepy and sinister mode and the masks he wears just bring out the creepy factor even more.
Some of the violence, kids in peril and being abused are definitely not for the faint of heart.
There is a great balance of horror and the supernatural.
Some cool nods to Stephen King.

PROBLEMS: There were a few things I couldn't get on board with. I had to question some things that play out in the movie that just didn't add up.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7.5

The Man from Toronto

Troubling Toronto

PRAISE: Kevin Hart returns to comedy in this movie about a case of mistaken identity forcing a bumbling entrepreneur to team up with a notorious assassin known as The Man from Toronto.
Some of this was fun from the sight gags,slapstick, Harts mannerisms and some good one liners.Harrelson getting pissed off at Hart at every turn.
Also some of the fight scenes are pretty good and a great extended well choreographed action sequence towards the end of the film .

PROBLEMS: When a movie has a foundation that is shaky like this I knew it wouldn't add up to much.
It's just weak when a script has to rely on characters being incompetent and making bad decisions to move the story along. Also the basis of the confusion that drives the story could have been cleared up in a couple of moves. Even a couple of characters state how absurd things are !! I'm not sure what Kaley Cuoco was doing in this movie Netflix must have thrown a couple of millions her way. Jasmine Matthew's doesn't fare any better. Basically she's the poor man's Zazie Beetz. At least involve her in the mayhem!! How people survive absolutely paralyzing and absolutely deadly moments in this movie is beyond me. Did I miss a moment when the characters took a super soldier serum or something?!? The green screen and CGI look like amateur time in certain scenes.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 4

I randomly decided to watch Rise, on Disney Plus, the other day. It's the life story of Giannia Antetenkoumpo and his brothers. From the time their parents got to Greece until he was drafted. It was surprisingly good. I didn't expect much. But the shit was pretty decent. Shit surprised me.
You should read the book

So it wasn't just me. I cut that shit off and really haven't given it a 2nd thought on trying to finish it.

The Princess

No Pushover Princess

PRAISE: This story about a strong-willed princess refusing to wed a cruel sociopath, was a quick, fun romp. It immediately brought back memories of movies like Brave and Kill Bill.
Joey King gives it her all and i praise her for all of the time and effort she put into this.She gets great support from the rest of the cast including Dominic Cooper, Olga Kurylenko(so great to see her in a role she could really shine in again), and Veronica Ngo.
The action sequences and sword play were outstanding.There are some great humorous moments .The dwelling violence may be to much for some but I enjoyed it.

PROBLEMS: I was kind of disappointed in how one note,repetitive and stationary the movie is. I guess I was thinking the movie would have a larger scale.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Thor : Love and Thunder

Laughs,Loss and Love

PRAISE: In this fourth Thor adventure Thor embarks on a journey unlike anything he's ever faced -- a quest for inner peace. However, his retirement gets interrupted by Gorr the God Butcher, a galactic killer who seeks the extinction of the gods.
This movie brims with comedy and actually reminded me of Flash Gordon which is a good and bad thing. I thought the entire cast did a good job for the most part including: Chris Hemsworth; Christian Bale; Tessa Thompson; Jaimie Alexander; Taika Waititi; Russell Crowe and Natalie Portman.
Once again I understood the plight of the villain and actually Gorr the God Butchers backstory playing out helped with the aforementioned.
When the movie focuses on Love and loss and the possibility of experiencing it or fighting it,the film really does a fine job of displaying it.
The SFX and CGI was really stunning. The way they used the mix of color and black and white was great.
Some of the running gags really worked and actually avoided becoming annoying. Oh and the imagery used for a couple of characters I have only seen in comics until now was pretty brilliant.

PROBLEMS: Some of the campiness and jokes in some scenes went on a bit too long.It waters down some of the more serious story threads in the movie at times. I found myself begging the movie to leave this scene and place and pick up the pace.I keep hearing a lot was cut from the movie so that may have altered how much better the movie could have been

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7½

Back