Michigan Police Accused of Tasing Black Man While He Was Holding His 2-Month-Old Son...

In this situation when a citizen is acting belligerent it’s the police’s job to deescalate the situation. I’m putting the police on trial here. Ain’t no 50/50 both sides blame shit.

Thats cool. But the blame game means nothing after you done got tazed out in front of your family cuz you couldnt gather your emotions.

We just disagree on this one.

Thats cool. But the blame game means nothing after you done got tazed out in front of your family cuz you couldnt gather your emotions.

We just disagree on this one.
I can accept the mutual blame game if they treated others like this. They know how to handle these situations with others but with us it’s whatever, and we’ve been conditioned to blame ourselves. But yeah let’s disagree.

Reactions: SeaSnake
I can accept the mutual blame game if they treated others like this. They know how to handle these situations with others but with us it’s whatever, and we’ve been conditioned to blame ourselves. But yeah let’s disagree.

I get all that. But this aint a case of blaming "us". Granted, the video didnt show the full encounter. But the part of the encounter I did see, in my opinion, didn't warrant all the screaming and yelling.

We frustrated with shit, rightfully so, but being Kings and Queens requires strategic thinking when at war. And we are mos def at war.

Make no mistake, the cops involved should all be fired as well.

I get all that. But this aint a case of blaming "us". Granted, the video didnt show the full encounter. But the part of the encounter I did see, in my opinion, didn't warrant all the screaming and yelling.

We frustrated with shit, rightfully so, but being Kings and Queens requires strategic thinking when at war. And we are mos def at war.

Make no mistake, the cops involved should all be fired as well.
Here’s a hint. Never side with others over your own. That’s been my point during this entire exchange....

Reactions: SeaSnake
I don't get why he demanded to hold his baby all of a sudden. I'm not siding with the cops. But that baby shouldn't have been in it.

Dog, Im not doing this shit again. You have your pov, I have mine. Doesnt make yours right, doesnt make mine foolish.

Fair enough
It’s the police’s job to defuse the situation not the citizens job, but it goes to show how there are two different rules when dealing with black people.

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think it applies here. Granted we don't really see the build-up, but initially the cops seemed chill. They let the dude go off for a while, but when he refused to work with them they escalated by threatening to arrest him. I think making that threat was unnecessary, but the dude wasn't trying to cooperate and I'm not sure how else they would have performed their duty.

Once the cops tased him with the baby, they were dead wrong though. The thing I think is getting lost is that this seems like another case where someone called the cops on some black people for some bullshit.

Fair enough

I agree with the sentiment, but I don't think it applies here. Granted we don't really see the build-up, but initially the cops seemed chill. They let the dude go off for a while, but when he refused to work with them they escalated by threatening to arrest him. I think making that threat was unnecessary, but the dude wasn't trying to cooperate and I'm not sure how else they would have performed their duty.

Once the cops tased him with the baby, they were dead wrong though. The thing I think is getting lost is that this seems like another case where someone called the cops on some black people for some bullshit.
tenor.gif

I think you like disagreeing just to disagree. Are you seriously telling me that you think that dude's behavior was conducive to the situation? You think him yelling at the cops while they initially calmly tried to explain the situation helped?

I think you like disagreeing just to disagree. Are you seriously telling me that you think that dude's behavior was conducive to the situation? You think him yelling at the cops while they initially calmly tried to explain the situation helped?
I’m saying that it’s their job to defuse the situation. I hold them to a higher standard than civilians.

I’m saying that it’s their job to defuse the situation. I hold them to a higher standard than civilians.

Like I said, I agree with that. But they have a job to do, and they are going to do it. If they come to you calmly and you blow up, that escalates the situation. If they try to talk you down, and you continue to wild out they are going to have to push things further. If they tell someone to take a baby away from what is a tense situation and you grab the baby and use it as a tool in your feud with the cops, you're acting reckless. I'm not saying the cops were completely right here, but even if the cops are held to a higher standard, civilians still have to use some sense in these encounters.

Like I said, I agree with that. But they have a job to do, and they are going to do it. If they come to you calmly and you blow up, that escalates the situation. If they try to talk you down, and you continue to wild out they are going to have to push things further. If they tell someone to take a baby away from what is a tense situation and you grab the baby and use it as a tool in your feud with the cops, you're acting reckless. I'm not saying the cops were completely right here, but even if the cops are held to a higher standard, civilians still have to use some sense in these encounters.
And I’m saying that the police’s job is to deescalate the situation.

Trust me I have talked to some cops before you don't not want them to des alarm the situation. Most of the times that means arresting whoever is causing the problem, cause it means less time for them having to spend at a location. Handcuff you and take you to jail is less time then trying to calm some loud mouth and find out why they were called and who exactly was causing whatever problem. And LOL at trusting the police to defuse the situation, so now we trust cops to do they job correctly really???
My dad/bros always told me if you or your people ain't causing no problems and they show leave before they just start arresting anybody being loud

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...group-demonstrate-westland-friday/1055063002/

Westland officer in stun gun incident suspended for 30 days

Westland police suspended an officer who used a stun gun on a man who was holding an infant.

An internal investigation determined the officer acted appropriately because the man failed to comply with demands, police Chief Jeff Jedrusik said in a statement Wednesday.

However, "the use of the Taser at that time, while he was holding the child, was a questionable decision," the chief said. "We are all thankful that the child was not injured."

Ray Brown, who is African-American, was stunned with a Taser during an arrest Friday.

A 30-day unpaid suspension for the officer "will give us the opportunity to review all of our use of force policies and our department’s training of those policies," Jedrusik said.

News of the decision came hours after a Detroit civil rights group announced plans to protest the Police Department on Friday.

The Rev. Charles E. Williams II, president of the National Action Network's Detroit chapter, said the group will hold its demonstration at noon in front of the Westland Police Department’s headquarters.

The demonstration still will go forward despite news of the action against the officer, Williams said. "For them to suspend this officer — to us, what this says is they know something was wrong. Wrong is wrong and we're protesting. This officer should be gone, not suspended."

Earlier, Williams called for the "immediate dismissal and the immediate removal of this officer."

“We're saying enough is enough and we will not deal with this any longer, especially from these suburb towns around the city of Detroit that feel like they don't want you there and we'll exercise police brutality on you to keep you out,” Williams said.

Williams made the announcement during a news conference Wednesday at Detroit's Historic King Solomon Missionary Baptist Church, where he is senior pastor.

He was joined by Brown, his attorney, family and friends as well as National Action Network supporters. Many carried signs that read “Will I be next?” and “Justice for Ray.”

Westland city officials said the demonstration is welcome.

“Any group or individual is always welcome to peacefully demonstrate in Westland and as mayor, I encourage open dialogue in regards to issues facing our community,” Westland Mayor Bill Wild said in a statement Wednesday.

Williams said if the city does not respond, "We will escalate our actions in the city of Westland."

"We are not against police officers," Williams said. "We are against bad police officers. When there are bad police officers, we want them gone and we want them gone immediately."

Brown’s attorney, Gregory Rohl, said his client sustained serious injuries, including a closed head injury and torn cartilage in his knee. Brown was walking with crutches Wednesday and had a brace around one of his legs.

"My client was beaten and Tased unnecessarily on his own property while holding his son," Rohl said. "It's an outrage. It's the definition of cruel and unusual as I understand it. And it should never happen again. Unfortunately, it happens too often."

Brown also has six or seven burn marks from the stun gun, the attorney said.

Rohl also said he wants Westland city officials to request that Michigan State Police investigate the incident.

Neither Brown nor his family spoke during the news conference on the advice of his attorney.

Rohl, a Novi attorney, also represented Floyd Dent, a Detroit man whose 2015 arrest and beating by an Inkster police officer was caught on video. Dent settled a lawsuit against the city for nearly $1.4 million. The officer involved in the incident, William Melendez, was convicted of assault and misconduct and served 14 months in jail.

Video shared on social media showed the confrontation, in which Brown accuses the officer of using the electric stun gun while Brown had a 2-month-old baby in his arms.

Westland Police defended the officer's actions and said Brown was told several times to return the baby to the child's mother, but he refused to do so. Officers and the child's mother were close enough to grab the baby, who was unharmed, after Brown was incapacitated.

On Monday, the police chief said the charge from a stun gun doesn't transfer from the person being stunned to anyone in contact with the person.

Brown was charged with disturbing the peace, hindering a police investigation, damage to property, neglect of a minor child, disorderly person, resisting arrest and assault and battery on a police officer.

That pig should’ve been fired but instead a slap on the wrist...