Welcome To aBlackWeb

Michael Porter Jr catches flack over comments about WNBA players.

WNBA players deserve raises relative to the WNBA, but they can’t possibly expect to be paid like the top players in the NBA, that makes no sense.

WNBA players deserve raises relative to the WNBA, but they can’t possibly expect to be paid like the top players in the NBA, that makes no sense.
Lol, this is a straw man. I don’t think most WNBA players and their supporters are calling for them to be paid like the top players in the NBA. They mostly want to be paid well enough that they don’t have to go get summer jobs in Russia.

Lol, this is a straw man. I don’t think most WNBA players and their supporters are calling for them to be paid like the top players in the NBA. They mostly want to be paid well enough that they don’t have to go get summer jobs in Russia.
This

The WNBA operates at a loss every year of their existence. I’m not sure they can afford to.
Yea, some truth to this. I would like to see the numbers in the last few years bcos their tv viewership is increasing. I think revenue is going up too.

The revenue sharing they have right now is too much in favor of the owners, but it seems like they have some mechanisms in the CBA to give more to the players. They just have to hit certain thresholds. Big season coming for them. They need Caitlin Clark to be the prince that was promised (and Reese to some extent, although the more I read, seems like she is not as highly thought of as a prospect. Might not go top 5).

But I only responded to your initial post bcos that “straw man” annoys me so much, lol. My bad.

Sorry for my rambling.

Last edited:
Yea, some truth to this. I would like to see the numbers in the last few years bcos their tv viewership is increasing. I think revenue is going up too.

The revenue sharing they have right now is too much in favor of the owners, but it seems like they have some mechanisms in the CBA to give more to the players. They just have to hit certain thresholds. Big season coming for them. They need Caitlin Clark to be the prince that was promised (and Reese to some extent, although the more I read, seems like she is not as highly thought of as a prospect. Might not go top 5).

But I only responded to your initial post bcos that “straw man” annoys me so much, lol. My bad.

Sorry for my rambling.
The reason why I said that was because whenever a role player in the NBA signs a big contract they like to compare.

Sorry for my rambling.
If they had half a clue they would rig the draft a la David Stern. Get Clark to a white town and Reese to a black city and build them as their Magic/Bird rivalry.

The reason why I said that was because whenever a role player in the NBA signs a big contract they like to compare.
They gloss right over this. Even when NBA players give them props they take to Twitter all out raged

WNBA players was even tweeting out that graphic comparing Sue Bird to LBJ and going off about how much money he makes.

They draft players and 60% of them don’t even make the roster

And the only reason folks talk about the WNBA now is because some of the guard play is starting to look like the men’s game.

Them arenas still be empty and the viewership is moving at a snails pace.

The girl Clark will get the needle moving but she’s only one person

Once the game starts to look like the men’s game then they will get better numbers

Need more elite athletes

It’s this white girl in high school that had hops

She be punching that thing.

Reese is not that good for the WNBA.

She’s good in college
Doesn't matter. They need to start marketing players and she is highly marketable. They've had an untold amount of potential stars past through and they've done nothing with them.

Them girls captured the sports zeitgeist in the national championship game. Capitalize on that. White folks would love for their chosen one to get her get back. Market players instead of the league and you're start creating stars that can move the needle.

Their pay is already being subsidized by the league as is. If they're not drawing the revenue how do they expect pay raises? Can't pay them with money that isn't there.

It's unfortunate but its a 4 month gig and none of them are living below the poverty line.

No one ever wants to discuss the real elephant in the room, that women don't support women's major league sports the same way they do college and men's major league sports. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Not sure why they haven't lowered the age requirement by now either. They're risking the talent aging out or getting stagnant having to spend 4-5 years in college. Probably to protect older women in the league but pick your poison.

Back