Welcome To aBlackWeb

Marvel's Avengers: Doomsday (May 2026)

Robert Downey Jr. has been synonymous with Tony Stark ever since he debuted as the billionaire playboy and philanthropist in 2008's Iron Man. But in the grand tradition of Marvel's multiversal madness, Downey was in talks to play an entirely different Marvel character before being cast as Iron Man.

In a new retrospective celebrating the 15th anniversary of the film that kickstarted the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Jon Favreau — who both directed and starred in Iron Man as Happy Hogan — revealed that Downey was initially interested in playing the antagonist of 2005's Fantastic Four.

"I remember you had all met with [Downey] already for like Doctor Doom or something on another project," Favreau said during a conversation with Marvel's top boss Kevin Feige. "I think he had come through on maybe Fantastic Four, so everybody sort of knew who he was."

What's so bad about it, the fact that the films are being made or that they're being supported?

Hollywood no longer has movie stars that can singularly carry a new IP.

Hollywood's star system allowed for new IPs to be created.

Hollywood's transition to the franchise model means that movie stars like Robert Downey Jr. are tied to a franchise indefinitely because there are no movies that will pay him 30 million and there are hardly any IPs being created worth making due to costs and return on profit...since y'all motherfuckers don't watch anything new and stuck on nostalgia and geek shit.

So, directors don't matter. Screenwriters don't matter. Movie stars don't matter. Only franchises and IPs with exploitable fanbases matter.

Any and every up and coming star director, actor or screenwriter gets funnelled into franchise bullshit which ruins their individuality and ability to draw audiences to new IP. And the current ones are vultures, trying to cash out as much as possible.

Last edited:
Bringing RDJ back shows desperation and they want to tap into name recognition.

BUT

RDJ can really get in his acting bag when he's not consigned to just playing himself so I'm in
Confined brother?

Ryan said he wanted to be ghost rider a while ago then Feige came out and said he wants him to play him and then I guess that spread to some media ppl and now the rumor is coming back around but hasn’t been officially confirmed.

Back