Welcome To aBlackWeb

Netflix Malcolm & Marie

Love & Hate Debate

PRAISE: When a film opens with nice and appreciative touches you already have scored a couple of points with me .This view of the ups and downs of a relationship between Malcolm & Marie
will definitely grab you if you have ever been in a long term relationship.There are touches of the films Before Midnight and Crossing My Heart in the film but things get a little more salty and angrier than the aforementioned.
Even though the mood should be festive for the couple there is a back story of pain and resentment that is about to boil over. Zendaya as Marie Jones and John David Washington as Malcolm Elliott
Both actors do a fine job. Zendaya's performance was a bit more casual and distant. But the two actors are very comfortable together.
Sometimes their interactions are sexy sometimes salty,and when it;s revealed that care and love might just be obligation thats when they really push each others buttons.
Their mental knives are twisted in cruel ways in which selfishness on both sides are revealed. The film really excels at the aforementioned moments.
The film even borrows a bit from real life Hollywood couple turmoil.
Director and writer Sam Levinson makes sure to throw in nods to his favorite films and directors which was fine at first but.....

PROBLEMS:Sure i completely understand every writer puts a little bit of themselves in their writing. It becomes overdone and repetitive when Levinson"s grievances about Hollywood turn into 15 minute monologues.
There is also repetitivenes and predictability when I could see the insults coming from the couple when the tone of the film goes from praise to cruel and back again consistently.
Plus this film could have been summed up in 90 minutes or less.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 7â…“

Film Critics: "mEh, wHiTeSpLaInInG aNd iDeNtItY tOuRiSm. lEvInSon hAtEs wOkE CrItIcS aNd rOb bLaCk vOiCeS."

Enjoyed the dialogue, the back and forth between the two. Zendaya been killing between this and Euphoria. Thought the film was beautifully shot as well

I enjoyed it but this clearly isn't a "black movie". If anything it just has characters who happen to be black. The arguments were ruthless but if a black person was behind the camera this would've been an instant classic. Definitely shouldn't watch on a date night.

That scene with Malcolm airing out Marie in the bathtroom was relentless. My god. JDW definitely got the charisma of his father.
It wasn't a black movie? Wut?

What he mean there is that the movie is all about a dysfunctional, obnoxious, toxic, upwardly mobile upper class young couple who happens to be both black, but whose racial identity does not primarily shape their dialogues, the pathos and plots.

Have they been white or whatever that the characters might had always been Malcolm & Marie.

It isn't. LMAO.

in the movie Malcolm even talked about how people automatically try to make his movie a black film because he and the main character are black but the movie isn't about race or politics.

Sam Levinson aka the director and writer of this film and Euphoria is white also

Enjoyed the dialogue, the back and forth between the two. Zendaya been killing between this and Euphoria. Thought the film was beautifully shot as well

Not to derail but I’m trying to get into euphoria just cuz I need a new show to watch. How many episodes do I need to give it before I give up on it? The first 2 didn’t do it for me..

As for this movie I can see why some people may not like it but I enjoyed it. Felt like a play. They both were hella toxic toward each other but at the same time at least the communicated. I’ve known plenty people who just shut down and don’t speak and let problems linger.

Not to derail but I’m trying to get into euphoria just cuz I need a new show to watch. How many episodes do I need to give it before I give up on it? The first 2 didn’t do it for me..

As for this movie I can see why some people may not like it but I enjoyed it. Felt like a play. They both were hella toxic toward each other but at the same time at least the communicated. I’ve known plenty people who just shut down and don’t speak and let problems linger.

Yep.

I get what y'all saying now about it not being a black movie

I still resonated with certain parts because the characters were black. If they were white, I probably don't even watch this if I'm being honest

Likewise.

The movie would have appeared as redundant, boring and presomptuous to me if ever the lead roles had been played by nonblack actors (more in particular white actors) .

Back