Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Lupe Fiasco - Drogas Wave Album Thread

Rate "Drogas Wave"

• Total voters
That's not what i'm saying tho. If it's a dope concept album cool, but the music comes first. If the MUSIC on GKMC wasn't good, i would give 2 fucks about the concept of the album. I would give 2 fucks about American Gangster if the music wasn't good. I don't know how this is hard to understand lol.
lets try it another way

if Kendrick or Cole made Mural, you would have that shit tatted on you

Lupe made it, then its "simple"

that butt Bizarre diss was simple...there was nothing simple about Mural, and you know it

8 min song with no hook, but its simple...yeah..ok

how many singles does an album need in your opinion

your whole stance was that Kendrick hasnt had any radio songs outside of a couple when that's just not true

when somebody suggests that maybe Lupe just dont care about sales then you say its a cop out b/c he not an artist that charts high

What are you talkin about? Every album has singles, that doesn't mean it was made for the intent to hit radio. "Dont kill my vibe" is a single, but that shit aint made for radio. "Money trees" is a catchy song that can be on radio, but it's not made for radio.

KOD other than "atm", had no songs MADE for radio. At this point i don't think mfs make songs for radio anymore. 4:44 is another one. I can keep going.

The nigga makes trash music. Lupe can craft dope verses, but hasn't been able to make good songs for about a decade. Same with Eminem.

lets try it another way

if Kendrick or Cole made Mural, you would have that shit tatted on you

Lupe made it, then its "simple"

that butt Bizarre diss was simple...there was nothing simple about Mural, and you know it

8 min song with no hook, but its simple...yeah..ok

Mural isn't a good song, it's an 8 min verse lol

The verse was cool, it was no where near as fire as yall try to make it seem. I said the bars yall praise were simple.

So no?

What we talking about then?

I just watched it. Half of it was about islam the other half was about pusha t vs drake.

I'm assuming you're talkin about him saying he wants to make positive music for the people?

What are you talkin about? Every album has singles, that doesn't mean it was made for the intent to hit radio. "Dont kill my vibe" is a single, but that shit aint made for radio. "Money trees" is a catchy song that can be on radio, but it's not made for radio.

KOD other than "atm", had no songs MADE for radio. At this point i don't think mfs make songs for radio anymore. 4:44 is another one. I can keep going.

The nigga makes trash music. Lupe can craft dope verses, but hasn't been able to make good songs for about a decade. Same with Eminem.

im not gonna go back and forth about singles vs radio b/c thats not important, but lets be clear, i know the difference b/t a song that was crafted explicitly for radio play, and songs that fans gravitate towards that become singles to be played on the radio

now that we got that out the way

the bolded is my biggest issue with your perspective. Music is just such a broad spectrum that you just sum up his career under this broad umbrella

So this is where im going to agree with you for the millionth time.

Lupe is a wordsmith, he is a great lyricist, and he can rap his ass off. As great as he is at those things, no, he cannot craft songs that appeal to a wider audience to the point to where it translates to sales or exposure to folks outside of the people that currently enjoy his music.

I feel he has questionable beat selection that often overshadow what he is trying to say b/c the beat, for better or for worse, its probably the very first thing that catches a listeners ear.

I JUST listened to Humble, and be honest, that song has a beat that just catches you and doesnt let go, but Dot not saying anything thought provoking to the point where you like "damn, he was killing it"...he did the beat justice, and its a good song. But i can listen to both. I can listen to Dot make Humble, where he really not saying shit, then listen to "money trees" where he spitting some real shit.

but i know this is apart of your hip hop persona so im not actually bothered by it

im not gonna go back and forth about singles vs radio b/c thats not important, but lets be clear, i know the difference b/t a song that was crafted explicitly for radio play, and songs that fans gravitate towards that become singles to be played on the radio

now that we got that out the way

the bolded is my biggest issue with your perspective. Music is just such a broad spectrum that you just sum up his career under this broad umbrella

So this is where im going to agree with you for the millionth time.

Lupe is a wordsmith, he is a great lyricist, and he can rap his ass off. As great as he is at those things, no, he cannot craft songs that appeal to a wider audience to the point to where it translates to sales or exposure to folks outside of the people that currently enjoy his music.

I feel he has questionable beat selection that often overshadow what he is trying to say b/c the beat, for better or for worse, its probably the very first thing that catches a listeners ear.

I JUST listened to Humble, and be honest, that song has a beat that just catches you and doesnt let go, but Dot not saying anything thought provoking to the point where you like "damn, he was killing it"...he did the beat justice, and its a good song. But i can listen to both. I can listen to Dot make Humble, where he really not saying shit, then listen to "money trees" where he spitting some real shit.

but i know this is apart of your hip hop persona so im not actually bothered by it

I agree with 90% of this and CS "humble" , I've been calling humble borderline trash since it dropped.

I just watched it. Half of it was about islam the other half was about pusha t vs drake.

I'm assuming you're talkin about him saying he wants to make positive music for the people?

:hahaha:

I aint even watch that whole video fam lmao. What he say?

Mural isn't a good song, it's an 8 min verse lol

The verse was cool, it was no where near as fire as yall try to make it seem. I said the bars yall praise were simple.

cool huh?

I like my pancakes cut in swirls
Moroccan moles and undercover squirrels

I like cartoons, southern cities with large moons
Faith healers, ex-female drug dealers and art booms
Apologize for my weird mix
What taste like hot dogs and tear drips

And looks like pantomime and clear bricks
And smells like shotguns and deer piss

so many levels man...im really suprised at your cavalier attitude towards this

I could go on and on about the parallels rapped in prisoner 1 & 2, but you not interested in that, but i tell you one thing, that song runs fucking laps around Coles "tales of 2 cities"

I agree with 90% of this and CS "humble" , I've been calling humble borderline trash since it dropped.
any other day, i would've fixated on the 10%, but not today...no

not on the eve of greatness about the drop

#drogaswaves coming tomorrow

I'm just fuckin with y'all but hold that same energy for an artist y'all don't like that's a vet drops an album that's dope but don't sell a lot cuz I'm gon up this post LOLOLOLOL

Im not that guy but I hear you lol

cool huh?

I like my pancakes cut in swirls
Moroccan moles and undercover squirrels

I like cartoons, southern cities with large moons
Faith healers, ex-female drug dealers and art booms
Apologize for my weird mix
What taste like hot dogs and tear drips

And looks like pantomime and clear bricks
And smells like shotguns and deer piss

so many levels man...im really suprised at your cavalier attitude towards this

I could go on and on about the parallels rapped in prisoner 1 & 2, but you not interested in that, but i tell you one thing, that song runs fucking laps around Coles "tales of 2 cities"

What was special about those bars? What was clever about those bars?

What was special about those bars? What was clever about those bars?

before i respond

1) are you asking a serious question

2) are you familiar with the references without googling?

say brah

i almost wanna ban you from this thread for that shit LMAO

Lmao.

I skipped around that video. Its almost an hour and i probably watched a total of ten minutes. But the part about his influence anf making music was there. And Islam being a driving force for him. Ion know what else he was talking about tho.

But its #Waves season.

Last edited by a moderator:
before i respond

1) are you asking a serious question

2) are you familiar with the references without googling?

I'm serious

and i want to see a breakdown on why these bars are clever. and lol @ google, goes back to my point about the treasure hunt.

smh just get back to the good music lupe (if you're reading)

I'm serious

and i want to see a breakdown on why these bars are clever. and lol @ google, goes back to my point about the treasure hunt.

smh just get back to the good music lupe (if you're reading)

why cant he do both?

why cant he make thought provoking music that does force you to think about things? I can be honest enough to admit I've learned a lot of shit through rap when people mention something that I never heard before. I then go to research it.

But then there is also our age gap b/t you and I, so certain things im going to get that you wont without a google search, hence my question to you.

but i'll play along

im going to requote your previous post

why cant he do both?

why cant he make thought provoking music that does force you to think about things? I can be honest enough to admit I've learned a lot of shit through rap when people mention something that I never heard before. I then go to research it.

But then there is also our age gap b/t you and I, so certain things im going to get that you wont without a google search, hence my question to you.

but i'll play along

im going to requote your previous post

I'm not against thought provoking music, I'm against wack music. The song I just posted from Lupe is thought provoking and has a good message, but most importantly it's a good song. Like I've been saying this whole time, he stopped trying to make good music and put most of his focus on creating treasure hunts.

He needs to get back to doing both.

Back