Welcome To aBlackWeb

Living with Parents.

when I moved out at 22 I was ready but not ready was scared to take that 1st step my mom jokingly said when you leave dont come back. My dad on the other hand was more concerned and asked was I sure if I wanted to leave and was like you can stay a little while longer. I was like nah time to go and do my thing. But boy once I got out ohhhhhh weeeeee freeeeeeeeedom. I had it at home but ain't nothing like yo motherfucking own shit

How many people have houses that have been in the family for generations though?

How many have a house they acquired thru inheritance?

Do your parents own their home? What are the plans when they die? Does it stay in the family? It's it sold? Rented out?

I just recently took a course about racism.

The instructor (and the book) basically said that that's the #1 discrepancy between Blacks and Whites in America. It goes all the way back to our grandparents and great grandparents.

Back in the 50s and 60s things were easier for White people. That's indisputable. I doubt there's a White person in America that would dispute that.

So what was happening was after WWII the government created a G.I. Bill. Basically the automobile was perfected, they built all of the roads and highways, and had unlimited resources. They could go to Africa or South America or wherever and get whatever they wanted; lumber, rubber, gas, etc.

Prior to WWII people either lived in cities or on farms. The suburbs hadn't been built yet. So after WWII they built the suburbs. If you were a White veteran they'd set you up in the suburbs with a job so you could afford to pay your mortgage.

Things were different for Black people. Rather than building suburbs for Black people to live in, they created the projects. A building, or set of buildings for people with low income. And the beauty of it was that it was affordable for anybody. They just wanted 1/3 of whatever you're making. So if you were a janitor or a cashier at McDonalds they'd take 1/3 of what you make and you can live in an apartment in the projects. But that leads to complacency. There's no reason to get out because the cost of living in the projects is so low/affordable.

That was in the 50s. Our grandparents and great grandparents generation. Those white grandparents passed their homes down to their children, who passed it down to their children.

But Black people in the projects had nothing to pass down because they didn't own the projects. They just lived there.

Now in 2020 the biggest discrepancies between Whites and Blacks isn't income, it's inheritance. On average, Black people inherit nothing when their parents die. Nada.

When White people die they usually pass down their home to their children.

And that's one of the biggest disparities between Whites and Blacks in America.

And it was planned out from the start.

How many people have houses that have been in the family for generations though?

Do your parents own their home? What are the plans when they die? Does it stay in the family? It's it sold? Rented out?
When my grandmother passed they was trying to keep the house in the family it was gone go to me but I was 16 when she passed so that was a no go. Got rented out to my cousin for a while then was vacant then other cousin purchased it stayed in it a good bit then sold it.

Thing is if you got a family house and it's s big family everybody sees money instead of keeping the house in the family. In the case of my grandmother is 8 of em lot of conflict was going on some didn't care some did. I do wish I could've been in it though. But some of the stuff I heard I'd have to line out some of my aunts and uncle's. Especially if they sold the house to me

I just recently took a course about racism.

The instructor (and the book) basically said that that's the #1 discrepancy between Blacks and Whites in America. It goes all the way back to our grandparents and great grandparents.

Back in the 50s and 60s things were easier for White people. That's indisputable. I doubt there's a White person in America that would dispute that.

So what was happening was after WWII the government created a G.I. Bill. Basically the automobile was perfected, they built all of the roads and highways, and had unlimited resources. They could go to Africa or South America or wherever and get whatever they wanted; lumber, rubber, gas, etc.

Prior to WWII people either lived in cities or on farms. The suburbs hadn't been built yet. So after WWII they built the suburbs. If you were a White veteran they'd set you up in the suburbs with a job so you could afford to pay your mortgage.

Things were different for Black people. Rather than building suburbs for Black people to live in, they created the projects. A building, or set of buildings for people with low income. And the beauty of it was that it was affordable for anybody. They just wanted 1/3 of whatever you're making. So if you were a janitor or a cashier at McDonalds they'd take 1/3 of what you make and you can live in an apartment in the projects. But that leads to complacency. There's no reason to get out because the cost of living in the projects is so low/affordable.

That was in the 50s. Our grandparents and great grandparents generation. Those white grandparents passed their homes down to their children, who passed it down to their children.

But Black people in the projects had nothing to pass down because they didn't own the projects. They just lived there.

Now in 2020 the biggest discrepancies between Whites and Blacks isn't income, it's inheritance. On average, Black people inherit nothing when their parents die. Nada.

When White people die they usually pass down their home to their children.

And that's one of the biggest disparities between Whites and Blacks in America.

And it was planned out from the start.
This falls in line with leaving money for your kids or spouse once you pass, that's a good way to leave and start generational wealth. Don't just get one life insurance policy get 2. Some people i know got 3,4 of em. But you'll always here us saying I ain't leaving them nothing, Whites in the other hand leave them with a couple million or so. It's like this with me in worth more dead than alive, but my family will be well taken care if I do go

Yeah that's exactly what happened when my grandfather died. Everybody saw the money. My mother saw the house.

I moved out at 19/20.... But when I was fucking up financially my mother told me to come back home and helped me get my credit n shit together.... From then she taught me how to maintain the house without her, cuz she was definitely planning on retiring... But she knew she wasn't trying to maintain this house by herself in her 60's and up...

It came down to me staying here or letting her sell it and moving into a senior community. Letting the only thing to be past down in our family just didn't make sense.

I might have been tight, but I never been so pressed for money that I would refinance or let a house go...

I just took out credit with home depot and been fixing this shit up

Grandfather bought this house in 1965

It went to his kids in his death. They wanted to sell it, my mom bought it from them in the mid 90's

I'm her only child and my name been on it for the past 10 years or so as well

So I'm the 3rd generation in this house. Hopefully I can pass it on in some capacity in the next 30 years to my kids... We'll see
The older I get the more I wish I had that. Something entrusted to the family that can get passed down generations. Being able to be in the same house and show your kids basically your childhood and your parents childhood and so on is cool to me. I'd have to go to multiple states and cities for that shit

My grandmother died in January at 92. The house she lived in had been hers since the late 60s. She raised seven kids and me in that house. Right now one of my uncle's is living there. If he goes, I'll make sure that house stays in the family by any means necessary.

My maternal ancestors were different. My Big Momma (great-grandmother) owned 10 houses around Northeast Wichita when she died in 88. At least 3 of those went to family who still live in them.

@OhMars stated:

One thing I notice is that other races outside of Blacks, tend to let their children stay at home until they are on their feet. I never understood the rush to push a child out of the door at 18. Growing up, my mom was never the type to push me out, I actually decided to leave at 19.

How long are you willing to let your child stay at home with you after high school?

My kids can stay as long as they want, as long as they are productive and working towards something...even if it's something I don't agree with. Mer personally, my mom ain't kick me or my sister out. But she also ain't get a chance. We both decided that we were leaving at 18. College or not. Just so happened that we both went off to school at 18.

But either way, I was outta that bitch.

My kids can stay as long as they want, as long as they are productive and working towards something...even if it's something I don't agree with. Mer personally, my mom ain't kick me or my sister out. But she also ain't get a chance. We both decided that we were leaving at 18. College or not. Just so happened that we both went off to school at 18.

But either way, I was outta that bitch.
Yea. I hope my son is motivated to wanna be independent. As long as he’s doing something productive, he can stay home.

Back