Welcome To aBlackWeb

COMMUNITY Let’s Build (Vol4): Real N!gga = Street N!gga

Nobody ever denied this. What's being debated is that the shit isn't exclusive to Black folks and if you want to change it then you've gotta look at the full scope and not just Black people because it's not just a Black people problem. Black folks in America are Americans and they're gonna suffer from all the same shit Americans do. It just hits our communities harder when the effects are negative.

No one's denying that the debauched street/gang/outlaw shit exists to some degree in white american culture.

It's that those media depictions and subcultural lifestyles aren't as prevalent or as deeply entrenched within the social fabric of their communities as it is in the black community.

No one's denying that the debauched street/gang/outlaw shit exists to some degree in white american culture.

It's that those media depictions and subcultural lifestyles aren't as prevalent or as deeply entrenched within the social fabric of their communities as it is in the black community.

You just repeated what I said. You're not saying the same thing others are though. They're completely denying it's existence. I'm saying the shit is all there for any group but it of course affects Black people more. I'm just not of the belief that it's something that solely affects Black people. I don't think that little of Black people unlike some in this thread show they do

he did give us crack and occasionally drops crates full of guns in the hood
The point was that many of us believe we're sticking it TO "the man" by engaging in street shit and bragging about it. Street = tough, tough = real.

Being a productive member of society is considered weak.

That kind of mentality isn't something a few days after school can change.

You just repeated what I said. You're not saying the same thing others are though. They're completely denying it's existence. I'm saying the shit is all there for any group but it of course affects Black people more. I'm just not of the belief that it's something that solely affects Black people. I don't think that little of Black people unlike some in this thread show they do

OK, I thought what they were implying was that bringing up white ppls version of street culture is irrelevant because it's so soft and relatively inconsequential in comparison. Not that it doesn't exist.

Like yeah, there are poor trailer trash white ppl and well off white ppl alike who watch shit like sons of anarchy. But they also have a wealth of other media genres, subcultures and identities that make the totality of their street culture seem tiny looking at the whole scope of it all. Not that the black community doesn't. But, it's a white country with white or jewish controlled media and their particular stories and interests will be what gets highest priority and thus the most exposure. For the same reason, they're also afforded the most leeway in expressing themselves in diverse ways.

As opposed to the greater tendency for black people to feel socially pressured into fitting into a narrow box, so to speak, compared to other races.

Meanwhile, hip hop is the most listened to genre in the black community and it happens to be oversaturated with gang, sex and drug themes.

The point was that many of us believe we're sticking it TO "the man" by engaging in street shit and bragging about it. Street = tough, tough = real.

Being a productive member of society is considered weak.

That kind of mentality isn't something a few days after school can change.
But it is something a loving patient family and community can change.

OK, I thought what they were implying was that bringing up white ppls version of street culture is irrelevant because it's so soft and relatively inconsequential in comparison. Not that it doesn't exist.

Like yeah, there are poor trailer trash white ppl and well off white ppl alike who watch shit like sons of anarchy. But they also have a wealth of other media genres, subcultures and identities that make the totality of their street culture seem tiny looking at the whole scope of it all. Not that the black community doesn't. But, it's a white country with white or jewish controlled media and their particular stories and interests will be what gets highest priority and thus the most exposure. For the same reason, they're also afforded the most leeway in expressing themselves in diverse ways.

As opposed to the greater tendency for black people to feel socially pressured into fitting into a narrow box, so to speak, compared to other races.

Meanwhile, hip hop is the most listened to genre in the black community and it happens to be oversaturated with gang, sex and drug themes.

I'm not denying or ignoring the negative media portrayals of Black folks. It's prevalent in every medium of media. I just also know that there's more than those negative images and when people say they don't exist or aren't being given a light then it makes me wonder just what they're actually paying attention to because many of those positive images do get praise and promoted.

Same with hip hop. Yes there's music about drugs guns and violence. There's also rap music that touches none of those topics. There's also music that uses those same themes to show the downside to it. A poster mentioned earlier that even within a good portion of rap music that uses those themes the ultimate message is how detrimental and destructive it is. Of course there's gonna always be people who misinterpret the message but I won't fault an artist for trying to send that message through a song just because some of the audience isn't taking the time to see the actual message. That's more on the listener than the artist.

Which leads to my next point. That's something people in general do with media and entertainment. Few actually take the time to do deep breakdowns of the shit they take in. And I don't like when people attribute shit that people in general do regardless of race as something being specific to Black people. It makes it seem as if Black people are being talked about as being inherently less than. Crimes, drugs, and gangs existed in the community before rap music. So the "music made me do it" excuse only holds but so much weight as opposed to the circumstances that created the song in the 1st place.

I'm not denying or ignoring the negative media portrayals of Black folks. It's prevalent in every medium of media. I just also know that there's more than those negative images and when people say they don't exist or aren't being given a light then it makes me wonder just what they're actually paying attention to because many of those positive images do get praise and promoted.

Same with hip hop. Yes there's music about drugs guns and violence. There's also rap music that touches none of those topics. There's also music that uses those same themes to show the downside to it. A poster mentioned earlier that even within a good portion of rap music that uses those themes the ultimate message is how detrimental and destructive it is. Of course there's gonna always be people who misinterpret the message but I won't fault an artist for trying to send that message through a song just because some of the audience isn't taking the time to see the actual message. That's more on the listener than the artist.

Which leads to my next point. That's something people in general do with media and entertainment. Few actually take the time to do deep breakdowns of the shit they take in. And I don't like when people attribute shit that people in general do regardless of race as something being specific to Black people. It makes it seem as if Black people are being talked about as being inherently less than. Crimes, drugs, and gangs existed in the community before rap music. So the "music made me do it" excuse only holds but so much weight as opposed to the circumstances that created the song in the 1st place.

Right, the music is more of an expression of the circumstances.

My fear is when music becomes subculture and the negative aspects of it start to seep into the foundations of our lives. These things might just begin to hold some actual weight when the message of the music feels like it's an all too real extension of a persons life circumstances. Like it's a confirmation of all the shit life is throwing at u, but there's not enough positive affirmation occurring to ward ppl onto the right path.

I really do believe seemingly trivial things in life become much more consequential when they're added into a greater sum of a series of negative life circumstances. And there's a lot of black ppl going through a lot of bs in life.

I’m late to the party so apologies if this has been mentioned, but I’m tired of us defining ourselves by the worst of our race.

You can have a million law abiding black people raising their families and doing things the right way, but let one black person get ignorant on the internet and we all feel shame. We feel responsible for our entire race and it’s too big a burden to bear.

If a white person sees a redneck being ignorant in media, they don’t feel any shame at all. They know they are more than just that, and we need to start having that mentality too.

We are more than our lowest common denominators.

I’m late to the party so apologies if this has been mentioned, but I’m tired of us defining ourselves by the worst of our race.

You can have a million law abiding black people raising their families and doing things the right way, but let one black person get ignorant on the internet and we all feel shame. We feel responsible for our entire race and it’s too big a burden to bear.

If a white person sees a redneck being ignorant in media, they don’t feel any shame at all. They know they are more than just that, and we need to start having that mentality too.

It’s all in the eye or the beholder. I don’t define us by the worst examples because I don’t have that around me and I don’t look for it in entertainment either.

Bruh niggas that grew up in the hood and then move out have that mentality to a T. Literally thinking every person from their past didn’t try hard enough I see it in here all the time.

Nobody ever denied this. What's being debated is that the shit isn't exclusive to Black folks and if you want to change it then you've gotta look at the full scope and not just Black people because it's not just a Black people problem. Black folks in America are Americans and they're gonna suffer from all the same shit Americans do. It just hits our communities harder when the effects are negative.
Were u born in the suburbs?

Are you asking for the origin of the field nigga mentality? That's what it looks like. This reads like a house nigga asking why field niggas celebrate the field. The "street shit" is just a modern day iteration of field nigga shit.

We as black people have a history (or at least have been told of a history) of being victims. Pushed around and beaten down by the people who make the rules. Field niggas were the heavy lifters outside doing the dirty work, "getting it out the mud"(more on that later). House niggas were the butlers, the nannies and other servants who were, in the house.

The house niggas were still slaves still had better living conditions than the field niggas. The field niggas viewed the house niggas as sellouts because the field niggas wanted OFF the plantation. They wanted massa dead while the house niggas didn't "want no trouble". So naturally the house nigga gonna look soft and bitchmade and wasn't a single rap song played that led them to this conclusion.

Early on in this thread someone said people want to look cool. One of the best ways to do this since the beginning of time was to be looked at as TOUGH.

Field niggas had to be strong to do the backbreaking labor. But being able to say You made it off the plantation without kissing massa's ass or giving up yours? Major flex. So why wouldn't we glorify the comeuppance from nothing without playing by the rules?

Someone else in this thread mentioned the "dominant society". As far as many are concerned, we never left the plantation it just got bigger. It's still THEIR world where THEY make the rules. The toughest looking thing to do would be to come up while BREAKING these. Skipping classes that teach THEIR lessons. Not applying for jobs at THEIR establishments to work for THEIR crumbs. We want to BEAT the system, not join it. So illegal activity it is.

It convinces us to celebrate the struggle. "Gettin it out the mud" like I mentioned before is considered better than impressing authority figures with good connections and resources.

Back to the tough thing, we don't want to be victims. We don't want to be weak. If nothing else, we don't want to LOOK weak. So we engage in this "Street shit" cuz "fuck society " and to guarantee some kind of success we obtain tools of violence and join a group of like-minded people and call it a gang, because it's real in the field.
I don't know if I'd associate Field Niggas with Street Niggas. Field Niggas weren't choosing violence and willful ignorance to advance, they aspire to be free and live well, but with simple shit for them and theirs. Their lack of education wasn't a limit per se due to the time period too. Field Niggas remind of like our Grands and Great-Grands mentality. I'm trying to flush this thought out more

Poor white people are
I don't know if I'd associate Field Niggas with Street Niggas. Field Niggas weren't choosing violence and willful ignorance to advance, they aspire to be free and live well, but with simple shit for them and theirs. Their lack of education wasn't a limit per se due to the time period too. Field Niggas remind of like our Grands and Great-Grands mentality. I'm trying to flush this thought out more
oh shit

Good ass point
Field dudes was trynna lead insurrections to get free not hurt cuz two cotton crops over cuz he blood.

To your point I won't say field nigga to Street nigga is a 1 to 1 comparison. There probably wasn't a great amount of violence against each other. I admit the connection to the infighting is harder to make right now. But selling each other out and fucking each other over isn't a new phenomenon either.I still believe the "field nigga mentality" can keep us from education. I still think it keeps us out of the workforce.

Back