Welcome To aBlackWeb

Legend or Vet: Common

Legend or Vet: Com Sense

• Total voters
Same can be said about kanye

But u cant deny hes a legend

Dont take it so personal g

I have no idea what you're talking about. There was nothing personal about my response. The proof is in the pudding.

And that's a negative on the Kanye comparison. Nothing detrimental to the genre has been borne out of Kanye's eccentricities. Mood/emo rap? Sure. Experimental rap? Yeah. A few "weird" rappers cut from a similar cloth? Sure.

That's about it. It may have made the highly visible portion of the genre "softer", but it also made it more relatable, especially coming after 50's run. We wouldn't have Drake, Wale or Cole without Kanye. And let's face it, the people that are of the Kanye tree are far more beneficial to the genre than those that are on the Gucci/Wayne tree. None of us would lose any sleep if we were never introduced to Kodak Black and Uzi Vert.

It is what it is.

I have no idea what you're talking about. There was nothing personal about my response. The proof is in the pudding.

And that's a negative on the Kanye comparison. Nothing detrimental to the genre has been borne out of Kanye's eccentricities. Mood/emo rap? Sure. Experimental rap? Yeah. A few "weird" rappers cut from a similar cloth? Sure.

That's about it. It may have made the highly visible portion of the genre "softer", but it also made it more relatable, especially coming after 50's run. We wouldn't have Drake, Wale or Cole without Kanye. And let's face it, the people that are of the Kanye tree are far more beneficial to the genre than those that are on the Gucci/Wayne tree. None of us would lose any sleep if we were never introduced to Kodak Black and Uzi Vert.

It is what it is.
Thats all personal taste

Whether or not u like kodak or uzi vert thats the sound a lot of artists are going for largely in part bc of guccis impact.

Its obvious and undeniable. Common? Not so much.

Its just that simple

Thats all personal taste

Whether or not u like kodak or uzi vert thats the sound a lot of artists are going for largely in part bc of guccis impact.

Its obvious and undeniable. Common? Not so much.

Its just that simple

All influence is not necessarily positive and, therefore, is not worth using as a measuring stick for whatever is being measured. It's not a difficult concept to understand. Hitler had an impact too.

Just because Com didn't start a trend for other rappers to follow doesn't mean he didn't make an impact on the genre. I don't believe there would be Kanye without Com. I don't think there would be a Chance or a Lupe either.

I'm sure he's inspired other rappers as well. Just because there's no highly visible rapper that you can say is of the exact DNA of Common doesn't mean he isn't influential.

Your logic about making an impact is flawed and errs more on the side of making a trend.

All influence is not necessarily positive and, therefore, is not worth using as a measuring stick for whatever is being measured. It's not a difficult concept to understand. Hitler had an impact too.

Just because Com didn't start a trend for other rappers to follow doesn't mean he didn't make an impact on the genre. I don't believe there would be Kanye without Com. I don't think there would be a Chance or a Lupe either.

I'm sure he's inspired other rappers as well. Just because there's no highly visible rapper that you can say is of the exact DNA of Common doesn't mean he isn't influential.

Your logic about making an impact is flawed and errs more on the side of making a trend.
At the bolded is subjective once again

If we're gonna compare gucci to hitler...i get ur point...just disagree

Also disagree with ur statement that there would be no kanye without common as far as rapping influence

Hes actually named a tribe called quest as his fav rap group ever before. Commons influence mightve been partial, but thats it.

Just because someone influences something doesn't mean it's a positive influence. It can be argued that Wayne and Gucci are both responsible for a lot of the fuck shit that happens in rap today.
All influence is not necessarily positive. I don't believe there would be Kanye without Com. I don't think there would be a Chance or a Lupe either.
Screenshot_20180628-131444_Samsung Internet.jpg Young Thug and Wayne influenced Chance? Damn u dont say?

View attachment 54706 Young Thug and Wayne influenced Chance? Damn u dont say?

You're splitting hairs to try and make a point. It's probably only working in your mind. Kendrick also cites Wayne as a major influence on his musical style.

I never said Gucci and Wayne had no redeeming qualities about their music. And certain aspects of people are going to appeal differently to each and every one of us. No shit. You're not saying anything we don't already know.

Chance and Kendrick were probably influenced by Wayne's lyricism and delivery. Uzi was probably influenced by his weirdo fashion style in the later stages of his career. Young Thug just wants to be him. Kodak is not influenced by Gucci's business savvy, he's influenced by that incoherent, mush mouf shit that permeated the first half of his career.

As I said before: who has done what Common has, for as long as he has? His last three albums have shown he's as lyrically on point today as he was decades ago. Whether or not the rap world acknowledges him as it should is pretty much erroneous.

The facts remain...

You're splitting hairs to try and make a point. It's probably only working in your mind. Kendrick also cites Wayne as a major influence on his musical style.

I never said Gucci and Wayne had no redeeming qualities about their music. And certain aspects of people are going to appeal differently to each and every one of us. No shit. You're not saying anything we don't already know.

Chance and Kendrick were probably influenced by Wayne's lyricism and delivery. Uzi was probably influenced by his weirdo fashion style in the later stages of his career. Young Thug just wants to be him. Kodak is not influenced by Gucci's business savvy, he's influenced by that incoherent, mush mouf shit that permeated the first half of his career.

As I said before: who has done what Common has, for as long as he has? His last three albums have shown he's as lyrically on point today as he was decades ago. Whether or not the rap world acknowledges him as it should is pretty much erroneous.

The facts remain...
Goal posts moving

Agree to disagree at this point fam

My vote aligns with the majority: "im right see, everyone else agrees!"

My vote doesnt align with the majority: "yall are all stupid. This is whats right!...."

A poll result couldnt possibly change your mind...wouldnt change mine either

I wasn't casting my selection onto you, saying that the overall sentiment was or wasn't accurate. I was saying that, in this case, it's accurate that MY views align with the majority.

I don't think there's anything else that needs to be said.

There was a time when Common, Mos Def, Talib Kweli and Black Thought were the face of conscious rap.

I voted legend.

Back