Welcome To aBlackWeb

Assuming each school district would do something like this, it wouldn't be possible

I think most school districts will be on the same page in sense if a year round program is started and would run along the same timeline, but your idea/post could play out.
it doesn't sound feasible to me for them to all operate on the same program. maybe within each district but statewide? countrywide? I don't think it would be consistent enough for holidaymakers to keep up with

they aren't gonna call a congressional meeting about "should we take the 2 week breaks in november, february, april, and september 15th to October 7th? cause that's what we were thinking".

they aren't gonna call a congressional meeting about "should we take the 2 week breaks in november, february, april, and september 15th to October 7th? cause that's what we were thinking".
this...the major holiday periods would still be in play

brah, k-12 are the building blocks for college

if you have to relearn the shit in college that you did in high school, then obviously you werent equipped in k-12 to handle the courses in college, hence why there are a bunch of people who end up taking remedial classes when they first get to college. Thats a year maybe year and a half wasted.

college has more practical applications than k-12 b/c in k-12, you are being taught to pass some state examine to assess your level. College, if you dont pass that professors test, then you cant take the class that comes after it

im not gon get into aint shit professors at the college level, but...in college, you are expected to have learned something from k-12 so that you can just hit the ground running.

A. Building blocks, what you mean by what you say when you say (building blocks) Could you break that down in a simpler clearer meaning. I just feel it's a vague term that you are using with no logical explanation.

B. If you have to re-learn the material in high school and re-learn it in college, (How can you say that they re-learn it in college?) if they pass the course, did they really learn the material or just pass the course with a 75? If they didn't learn the material in the 9 month time frame in high school, do you think adding 1-2 months, they will learn the material?

C. Again could you break-down your statement, well the part, when you say, college has/is more practical applications? When I was in college my FR, SO, JR years were pretty much the same information that was in high school, only until I got into my major which was taught in HS where the information was different. The latter part of my JR/SR years

D. Everybody should know something from k-12 years, but you can go to college having remember but bits and pieces of that information and still do well, because as I said in C, or made mentioned, the stuff is re-hashed and labeled different. History 101 or History 1000 is learning about Alexander such and such which could have learned in your Sophomore year in high school, or even middle school.

E. To me, I don't think college and high school are oranges and apples. It's just a continuation without saying 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th grade. Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior (which again are terms used in high school) sounds better being labeled as a college student.

F. I just think the kids need a break though after all the points I've stated.

A. Building blocks, what you mean by what you say when you say (building blocks) Could you break that down in a simpler clearer meaning. I just feel it's a vague term that you are using with no logical explanation.

B. If you have to re-learn the material in high school and re-learn it in college, (How can you say that they re-learn it in college?) if they pass the course, did they really learn the material or just pass the course with a 75? If they didn't learn the material in the 9 month time frame in high school, do you think adding 1-2 months, they will learn the material?

C. Again could you break-down your statement, well the part, when you say, college has/is more practical applications? When I was in college my FR, SO, JR years were pretty much the same information that was in high school, only until I got into my major which was taught in HS where the information was different. The latter part of my JR/SR years

D. Everybody should know something from k-12 years, but you can go to college having remember but bits and pieces of that information and still do well, because as I said in C, or made mentioned, the stuff is re-hashed and labeled different. History 101 or History 1000 is learning about Alexander such and such which could have learned in your Sophomore year in high school, or even middle school.

E. To me, I don't think college and high school are oranges and apples. It's just a continuation without saying 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th grade. Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior (which again are terms used in high school) sounds better being labeled as a college student.

this is pretty unique to the USA because of the common core. other western countries specialize in the freshman year. a few US colleges like Brown are moving in that direction, with no required classes. you could specialize in epidemiology for your bachelors in some schools.

college is only a continuation of high school when most of the degree is spent on general courses that aren't related to major, that's another discussion tho.

in college, you pick the classes you want, and when you want to take them

you can have all your classes in the morning, all in the evening, or some spread throughout the day...that is night and day from High School b/c you have to be out of school by a certain time

A. If you're going off by the option to pick your classes and the time you get to go to your class, then you are correct but high school, even middle schoolers and some elementary get to pick their electives.

B. Still in college you are in a classroom less time, the average class is for only 3 hrs MWF (8:10 - 9:10) and if you're lucky your teacher may let you out early or not even have class that day, and again, I've posted and other poster stated we went to school year round and that still burnt us out, so imagine a child starting from K going to 12th grade going to school year round starting from 8:30 a.m - 3:00 p.m. M-F (everyday) that would burn that child out IMO

do all states have the same back to school schedule? no

do all states have the same holiday vacation schedule? no

summer time and most holidays are peak traveling days during the year. These companies know this, which is why the rates are different.

A. No they don't have the same back to school schedule but most start around the same time, within one another. Even colleges go back around the same time, so why wouldn't a high school or middle school not all start at the same time?

B. Some states don't get off for Mardi Gras like we do, but they observe the Xmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc.

now i think you trolling me

if i said, to become a pilot, being able to successfully fly a plane in a simulator is a building block to learning to fly a real plane, how would you interpret that?

B. you are proving my point. With the system as it is now, schools are teaching kids to be able to take tests. By them learning information for testing purposes and not applying any practical uses, then yes, when they get to college, they will have to relearn certain concepts.

C. Imagine you if actually learned all the things taught in your pre req classes prior to college. That would shave off at least a year and half maybe 2 off the time you need to be there

D. im not even sure what you are saying here

E. See first point...building blocks, but in college, the expectation is greater b/c you are transitioning into adulthood and not puberty

A. If you're going off by the option to pick your classes and the time you get to go to your class, then you are correct but high school, even middle schoolers and some elementary get to pick their electives.

B. Still in college you are in a classroom less time, the average class is for only 3 hrs MWF (8:10 - 9:10) and if you're lucky your teacher may let you out early or not even have class that day, and again, I've posted and other poster stated we went to school year round and that still burnt us out, so imagine a child starting from K going to 12th grade going to school year round starting from 8:30 a.m - 3:00 p.m. M-F (everyday) that would burn that child out IMO

are you really comparing a jr high/high school student picking their electives to a college student picking their classes?

you keep saying adding two months. NOWHERE did i say that...why do you continue to? and miss me with the 8-3 schedule. They are children, what else do they have to do?

this is pretty unique to the USA because of the common core. other western countries specialize in the freshman year. a few US colleges like Brown are moving in that direction, with no required classes. you could specialize in epidemiology for your bachelors in some schools.

college is only a continuation of high school when most of the degree is spent on general courses that aren't related to major, that's another discussion tho.

A. I think the things you learn as a Sophomore in college are no different from what you can learn as being a JR in high school, you may cover more as a Sophomore in college than what you may have covered in high school or middle school, but it's all the same, History is History, Science is Science, and Math is Math. I took STATS as Sophomore in college and studied the BS about the probability of a dice landing on 7 and I can say that my daddy and Uncles/cousin/friends taught me this at the age of 8 when they taught me how to shoot craps, so having it under the umbrella of STATS was just a way to dress it up.

B. Even if the degree isn't general courses and say you want to go into nursing, you in high school will have to know a bit about Biology, and how the mind works, (which you can get a bit of that info while still in HS in AP courses) I'd say that getting a degree in general studies/course, that material for that degree is touched on in a greater depth in high school compared to the material of becoming a engineer or nurse (which you can still take Physics or Biology 1 and 2 in HS)

ideally I'd like to do part-time schooling with my child. childhood is short and I don't want their memories to be of 4 walls and whiteboards.

There's two types of education,

1. One that is learned

2. One that you teach yourself.

are you really comparing a jr high/high school student picking their electives to a college student picking their classes?

you keep saying adding two months. NOWHERE did i say that...why do you continue to? and miss me with the 8-3 schedule. They are children, what else do they have to do?

A. When you pick your schedule as a college student

a. Are you picking the same course that HS students take?
b. The only think you are picking are the times you want to take your courses and the amount of classes you want to take.

B. I added 2 months for the 2 months that the kids are out for the summer, in a regular calendar year, it's a 9 month time frame, adding the 2 months that the kids would get out for the summer would push it to 11 months.

C. It just depends on what kids/children you are talking about.

a. HS school kids could be working part-time jobs (10th - 12th graders) touring potential college campus and seeing how college works

b. Middle school kids could be in school but preparing projects, such as building a business, learning about finances as another poster stated.

c. K-5th school kids could be going to museums, learning about their black history. I mean I agree that between 8-3 they should be being productive but I don't agree with them following the tradition school setup

Last edited:
now i think you trolling me

if i said, to become a pilot, being able to successfully fly a plane in a simulator is a building block to learning to fly a real plane, how would you interpret that?

B. you are proving my point. With the system as it is now, schools are teaching kids to be able to take tests. By them learning information for testing purposes and not applying any practical uses, then yes, when they get to college, they will have to relearn certain concepts.

C. Imagine you if actually learned all the things taught in your pre req classes prior to college. That would shave off at least a year and half maybe 2 off the time you need to be there

D. im not even sure what you are saying here

E. See first point...building blocks, but in college, the expectation is greater b/c you are transitioning into adulthood and not puberty

A. You've broken that down by saying they have to learn how to achieve flying a plane in a simulator in order to move to flying a real plane
a. In that example, building blocks correlates to flying a plane in a simulator, in your building blocks example about school, you had no real life example unless you are basing it off of achieving in k-12 grades in order to go to college, when to me, I don't think that is the case. You don't need any building blocks to go to college or any other secondary school. Again, I still don't understand what building blocks mean

B. I stated that with your method (going to school year round) I did this as another poster and I stated the material was rushed and I didn't retain the information that was taught to me and I had to only focus 2-3 course with less time, How am I proving your point? I'm shitting on your point down that the year round ideal may not work like you think may work.

C. I have no issue with your statement, I agree, what I am contenting to your statements is that college is no different from HS up until you get into your major. I broke that down stating that some of the material that is taught in HS, it is re-taught in college, History, STATS, Biology. Some of that information you saw as a Sophomore in HS, you may see it as a Sophomore in college.

D. Of course you don't, you chose not to.

E. You keep saying building blocks, but haven't even said what the hell are these building blocks are.

lawd, only you can take this convo to a whole nother direction

sighs

A: not sure the connection you are trying to make here. You pick the times in college. You cant in High School

B: why are you adding months? why cant it be the same 10 months or so just spread out over 12?

C: this is an entirely different conversation. Of course, every situation is different. Ideally, i wouldnt want my kids to work AT ALL during school. Thats a job in itself. I get it, if they want some sort of independence, then we will have a convo about the best way to go about it, but you dont just HAVE to get a job while in school. Its an option more than it is a necessity in most cases.

A. You've broken that down by saying they have to learn how to achieve flying a plane in a simulator in order to move to flying a real plane
a. In that example, building blocks correlates to flying a plane in a simulator, in your building blocks example about school, you had no real life example unless you are basing it off of achieving in k-12 grades in order to go to college, when to me, I don't think that is the case. You don't need any building blocks to go to college or any other secondary school. Again, I still don't understand what building blocks mean

B. I stated that with your method (going to school year round) I did this as another poster and I stated the material was rushed and I didn't retain the information that was taught to me and I had to only focus 2-3 course with less time, How am I proving your point? I'm shitting on your point down that the year round ideal may not work like you think may work.

C. I have no issue with your statement, I agree, what I am contenting to your statements is that college is no different from HS up until you get into your major. I broke that down stating that some of the material that is taught in HS, it is re-taught in college, History, STATS, Biology. Some of that information you saw as a Sophomore in HS, you may see it as a Sophomore in college.

D. Of course you don't, you chose not to.

E. You keep saying building blocks, but haven't even said what the hell are these building blocks are.

are addition and subtraction building blocks for multiplication and division?

hell, is learning to count a building block for addition and subraction?

is learning to speak a building block to learning to count?

dont be obtuse

i feel like im talking to a wall...you like the third person to come in here trying to make it seem like kids gon be going to school 9-5, M-F.

Bruh, you do.

You in school at least 7hrs a day M-F, you expected to be there on time and do your work. You take a lunch break like a 9 to 5. the only difference is there's no check at the end of the week or 2 weeks.

And that's not including any extra curricular activities.

I went to a year round school back in the 90's. Didn't know shit better so it didn't bother me much.

Moved to another elementary school in the 4th grade and couldnt believe kids got that much time to their own devices. Absolutely loved it.

Id take my childhood preference but either way ain't ground breaking unless I make enough to really make moves to travel heavily during the summer months which is def the plan

I went to a year round school back in the 90's. Didn't know shit better so it didn't bother me much.

Moved to another elementary school in the 4th grade and couldnt believe kids got that much time to their own devices. Absolutely loved it.

Id take my childhood preference but either way ain't ground breaking unless I make enough to really make moves to travel heavily during the summer months which is def the plan
if the vacations are dispersed in diff points of the year, you can catch destinations when it aint tourist season!

Back