Welcome To aBlackWeb

Jay-Z Called T.I About Being Ranked #2 Under Pac On His Goat List

As far as I'm concerned, Jay didn't bring anything new to the table. He's a good lyricist, actually damned good, but that's it. He rode Jaz's coattails for years and snuck in behind Biggie basically spittin about the same shit. If Big was still alive we'd likely be talking about Jay in the same breath as AZ; a cat with lyrical skill but trying to do the same shit that Biggie and Nas were already doing but better.

Nosign.

Aside from being a top tier lyricist (not necessarily the absolute best) Jay has one thing that AZ doesn't have:

The ability to make a hit song.

2Pac and Biggie both had that skill (or maybe it was 2Pac & Biggie's management team/A&R). Whoever it was knew how to make a hit. There's a difference between a dope song and a hit. One of my favorite songs is Purple by Nas. The beat is smooth and his lyrics are fire, but it's not a hit. A hit has that "X" factor. There's something about the song that people find catchy. When you play it at a club or a party it makes people gravitate towards the dance floor. You know how when you're at a party and the dance floor is empty and the DJ throws on that song and EVERYBODY rushes to the dance floor and the dance floor is packed 20 seconds after the song starts?

There's a lot of top tier lyricists that could go bar for bar with Big, Jay, Nas but they can't make a hit single if their career depended on it (see what I did there). In fact Nas himself was in a slump circa 2000. He couldn't put together a hit song. His beef with Jay saved his career. He couldn't make a hit song, but he could write a battle rap.

I don't know if it's Jay Z or his management team/A&R that makes the hits, but he's lasted 20+ years after Pac and Big's death and remained relevant. It's foolish to say, "the only reason Jay got on is because Big and Pac died". That statement made sense in 97/98/99. But it's 2019 and he's still one of the top 5 most relevant MCs in Hip Hop. The Story Of OJ wasn't a hit in the traditional sense, but it got play and I'm sure everybody has heard it by this point.

I have to reject the notion that the only reason Jay got on is because Pac and Big died. I'll admit there was a void, but it's been 20+ years and he's still on top. Pac and Big's death has nothing to do with his longevity.

Im laughing at you. You like a broad that starts throwing insults cuz you dont her seriously.

So Ima do what you supposed to do when you come across a broad like that and let you argue with ya self

Quit typin so hard foe you break a nail nigga

Emo Shakurlett still in her feelings bout her pops. LOL

I'll leave y'all fuck niggas alone.

Get all the way the fuck outta here w/ that bullshit nigga.

ANY critique of Pac and y'all niggas lose y'all fuckn minds. see @Hiram

Like y'all ACTUALLY knew the MF. FOH
It’s not a critique though. Y’all stay shittin on Pac talkin bout he a emo rapper, emo thug, simple lyrics, enemiiiiieeees, penitentiaryyyyyyy etc. One nigga said Pac ain’t even top 25 lmao, y’all got it man.

Hit records? Jay-Z fans favorite crutch. SMH. The average person can quote any 2pac hit song before any Jay-Z hit song. Jay-Z hit songs came from riding trends or help of a hotter artist aka a dick riding faggot who loves the attention.

Nosign.

Aside from being a top tier lyricist (not necessarily the absolute best) Jay has one thing that AZ doesn't have:

The ability to make a hit song.

2Pac and Biggie both had that skill (or maybe it was 2Pac & Biggie's management team/A&R). Whoever it was knew how to make a hit. There's a difference between a dope song and a hit. One of my favorite songs is Purple by Nas. The beat is smooth and his lyrics are fire, but it's not a hit. A hit has that "X" factor. There's something about the song that people find catchy. When you play it at a club or a party it makes people gravitate towards the dance floor. You know how when you're at a party and the dance floor is empty and the DJ throws on that song and EVERYBODY rushes to the dance floor and the dance floor is packed 20 seconds after the song starts?

There's a lot of top tier lyricists that could go bar for bar with Big, Jay, Nas but they can't make a hit single if their career depended on it (see what I did there). In fact Nas himself was in a slump circa 2000. He couldn't put together a hit song. His beef with Jay saved his career. He couldn't make a hit song, but he could write a battle rap.

I don't know if it's Jay Z or his management team/A&R that makes the hits, but he's lasted 20+ years after Pac and Big's death and remained relevant. It's foolish to say, "the only reason Jay got on is because Big and Pac died". That statement made sense in 97/98/99. But it's 2019 and he's still one of the top 5 most relevant MCs in Hip Hop. The Story Of OJ wasn't a hit in the traditional sense, but it got play and I'm sure everybody has heard it by this point.

I have to reject the notion that the only reason Jay got on is because Pac and Big died. I'll admit there was a void, but it's been 20+ years and he's still on top. Pac and Big's death has nothing to do with his longevity.

Not Pac and Biggie, just Biggie.

If Biggie dies and Pac is still alive Jay would still be the cat he is today. Biggie's death left a vacuum in NYC and Jay stepped in to fill that role. Street hustler turned rapper was Big's thing, and even though Jay had those same type of stories it wasn't quite Biggie's level. With Biggie out of the way, Jay shines doing the same shit Big had been doing.

Pac was the best all around to me hate it or love it. He had qualities I liked that other rappers lacked and I fuck wit Big Jay n Nas all of which in my top 5 DOA. I just happened to put Pac above them niggaz

:js4:
The topic was about Jay calling Tip about being second to Pac. It’s subjective. Ya boy was insecure and it shouldn’t have mattered to him at this point but it did. Now apparently niggaz is Shakurlettes to Naslims and Jigga Warriors mad cuz they can’t stand to see Pac at 1.

Pac >>> >>>>>>>> JayZ

It ain't even close and I'm talking about having an impact on the hip-hop culture/genre. All that other shit that Jay has done outside the culture is irrelevant. If you want tbh about it, Jay couldn't even fill Biggie's shoes to keep it solid.

We got left with Jay & Nas after the departures of Pac & BIG. Which isn't bad but neither one had the impact of the latter.

I'm really starting to hate these conversations now b/c for starters when Jay/Nas came into the game they were nowhere near the level Pac/Big were on. I don't think Jay or Nas become as big as they are now if Pac/Big were still alive in that early 00's period.

Also, to be frank, the killings of both left a very big hole in hip-hop and drastically changed the game.

Pac was the best all around to me hate it or love it. He had qualities I liked that other rappers lacked and I fuck wit Big Jay n Nas all of which in my top 5 DOA. I just happened to put Pac above them niggaz

:js4:
The topic was about Jay calling Tip about being second to Pac. It’s subjective. Ya boy was insecure and it shouldn’t have mattered to him at this point but it did. Now apparently niggaz is Shakurlettes to Naslims and Jigga Warriors mad cuz they can’t stand to see Pac at 1.

Yeah I think Jay already proved years ago he was an insecure clown when he was going at Nas and put his baby mama in they beef. Between him getting in business with the NFL (the way he went about it) & Calling T.I. about a Top 50 list is some bullshit. Nigga should be glad he even got mentioned. If I was TIP I would laugh in his face and hung up the phone. Shits all subjective.

As far as I'm concerned, Jay didn't bring anything new to the table. He's a good lyricist, actually damned good, but that's it. He rode Jaz's coattails for years and snuck in behind Biggie basically spittin about the same shit. If Big was still alive we'd likely be talking about Jay in the same breath as AZ; a cat with lyrical skill but trying to do the same shit that Biggie and Nas were already doing but better.

But how would those two bein' alive stopped Roc A Fella from gettin' big?

I don't follow this at all man

It's like when Jordan retired in 94. It's not that hard to follow. If Big was alive, you think the Roc would've been bigger than Badboy? Same with Pac and Deathrow? Fuckin no. Just like Houston wouldn't won them titles, if Jordan kept playing.

It's like when Jordan retired in 94. It's not that hard to follow. If Big was alive, you think the Roc would've been bigger than Badboy? Same with Pac and Deathrow? Fuckin no. Just like Houston wouldn't won them titles, if Jordan kept playing.

Why does Roc need to have been bigger than Bad Boy tho'? Everyone was eatin' back in those days and it's not like Jay ever sold suuuuper crazy numbers anyway

Pac >>> >>>>>>>> JayZ

It ain't even close and I'm talking about having an impact on the hip-hop culture/genre. All that other shit that Jay has done outside the culture is irrelevant. If you want tbh about it, Jay couldn't even fill Biggie's shoes to keep it solid.

We got left with Jay & Nas after the departures of Pac & BIG. Which isn't bad but neither one had the impact of the latter.

I'm really starting to hate these conversations now b/c for starters when Jay/Nas came into the game they were nowhere near the level Pac/Big were on. I don't think Jay or Nas become as big as they are now if Pac/Big were still alive in that early 00's period.

Also, to be frank, the killings of both left a very big hole in hip-hop and drastically changed the game.

you're really not paying attention.

Jay would have never got the shine he had with Big still alive, ergo Roc doesn't get much bigger and, truthfully, prolly would have fallen apart by the end of the decade.

It's almost too convenient for Jay tho... Maybe he shot Biggie to get him out of the way?

Back