Welcome To aBlackWeb

OUT NOW Jay-Z 4:44 Album Discussion Thread

One of my biggest gripes with Jay was his inability to be vulnerable.
If you listen to "Where have you been" with him and Beans, you can see that Beans poured his life and soul into the track.
It is such a touchy subject and beans brought it home
...and although Jay-z spoke from his heart, he still came off as guarded.
Then with the projects that followed that seem to just promote his riches and his lavish lifestyle,
I started to believe Jay-z was disingenuous AF

Fast forward...

4:44 is probably Jay-Z's most transparent album.
His vulnerability in discussing his mother and marital issues and what drove him to infidelity is something I didn't expect from him.
I think Jay-Z is saying here, "YEAH IM STILL RICH AS FUCK, ICY AS FUCK, but I still hurt, I still cry, I still feel inadequate at times."

I mean he said it himself: "Cry JAY Z, we know the pain is real
But you can't heal what you never reveal"
and thats real talk. He also said he had a therapist too, which is dope. I don't think we talk enough about that in our communities. #Blackmentalhealthmatters

I think Jay-Z personified Futures Mask off and gave us his shit from the soul with this one.
It's highly progressive dope boy music as my homegirl said

To sum this album up, I would say Jay is teaching us the importance of being free,.
whether it be free from debt, free from hurt, free from relationship strife.

He is telling us in the most eloquent way: "Get free."

and thats dope.

Welcome Back HOV.
I missed you.

While I do agree with the transparency of this album, i disagree with what you said about his verse on Where have you been?". That's one of my favorite Jay verses.

Plus he had joints like "u must love me" etc, like i said earlier, he sprinkled consciousness throughout his career, but this is the first time he became fully transparent.

While I do agree with the transparency of this album, i disagree with what you said about his verse on Where have you been?". That's one of my favorite Jay verses.

Plus he had joints like "u must love me" etc, like i said earlier, he sprinkled consciousness throughout his career, but this is the first time he became fully transparent.

I felt Beans overshadowed him on that track.

I didn't say his verse wasn't hot tho

Im just saying, something felt off to me personally

he was trying to match beans doing what was natural to beans....when he first heard beans crying on the track he was prolly like....:yikes:

but after realizing how dope that shit was, he channeled his own emotional past and matched it with him and dropped a verse after him....

that's how it sounds to me atleast....my imagination is on a million right now as i listen to this new shit....

One of my biggest gripes with Jay was his inability to be vulnerable.
If you listen to "Where have you been" with him and Beans, you can see that Beans poured his life and soul into the track.
It is such a touchy subject and beans brought it home
...and although Jay-z spoke from his heart, he still came off as guarded.
Then with the projects that followed that seem to just promote his riches and his lavish lifestyle,
I started to believe Jay-z was disingenuous AF

Fast forward...

4:44 is probably Jay-Z's most transparent album.
His vulnerability in discussing his mother and marital issues and what drove him to infidelity is something I didn't expect from him.
I think Jay-Z is saying here, "YEAH IM STILL RICH AS FUCK, ICY AS FUCK, but I still hurt, I still cry, I still feel inadequate at times."

I mean he said it himself: "Cry JAY Z, we know the pain is real
But you can't heal what you never reveal"
and thats real talk. He also said he had a therapist too, which is dope. I don't think we talk enough about that in our communities. #Blackmentalhealthmatters

I think Jay-Z personified Futures Mask off and gave us his shit from the soul with this one.
It's highly progressive dope boy music as my homegirl said

To sum this album up, I would say Jay is teaching us the importance of being free,.
whether it be free from debt, free from hurt, free from relationship strife.

He is telling us in the most eloquent way: "Get free."

and thats dope.

Welcome Back HOV.
I missed you.
That is why I was waiting for your review. Because I figured you would see his progression of expression. As @TheMasterKey has said he sprinkled it before but now went full on. A lot of people are guarded when we are younger and try to just show the masses what we want them to see. It takes a lot to humble ourselves and let people know we are vulnerable also because we don't want it to be associated as weakness or we are just not ready to share that side with everyone. I also think when you achieve a certain amount of wealth or a certain persona of wealth people think that is all that your about. Trust me it takes a long time for people to see you in another way other than the way they have seen you forever. Also people sometimes make you feel like you should apologize for having money. You CAN be both rich spiritually and monetarily at the same time.

Beans was more emotional on the song. Jay' s personality is not emotional so even when he is being emotional it comes accross void of emotion. If that makes sense.

Ok on my first listen.....

I think this was Jay's letter to black america. Dude came from the projects and is one of the most powerful, recognized, and successful individuals ever.
Power couple sitting on a billion.
Like dude literally lived the American Dream as a black man in america. And with this album he just gave us a transparent picture of how this man thinks today.

I think it's amazing. i felt like he truly owed this to his fans, and those who followed and supported his entire career, he understood that obligation and gave the world what they really needed to have. This immediately improves the hip hop genre. This makes summer 2017 one of the best undeniable years for the culture. This was needed. And it was delivered. shit hitting on all cylinders.

The story of OJ is a masterpiece.

off first listen im giving it a 10.

ASk me again in a week or so.....

Back