Welcome To aBlackWeb

Janelle Monáe trying to cancel rappers (she is)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have spoken on panels about misogyny in hip hop and its so hard to change what is now commonplace in music. this gangster-pimp-hoe trinity is so enmeshed in our culture and has been for quite some time. how do you tell artist to stop speaking poorly about women? when its clear violence, sex, and homoeroctica sales

tbh, hip hop is for everybody. there are so many artist with a variety of messages/ideas. if you dont want to listen to a misogynistic artist then play somebody else.

I just think its funny how Janelle states here she rather hear only women rap when mainstream women are relying on misogyny to sale as well. or even if you played someone like a Lauryn hill or erykah badu who are also misogynistic but in a different way by pitting conscious women over more sexually “free” women. “how you gon win when you aint right within” all that is misogyny too

im on the fence because the music i enjoy the most is pretty fucked up and idk if i would enjoy it if it was watered down or had a different message.

sometimes im in the mood to listen to 36 mafia, other days im listening to tribe called quest.

the duality of it all is what i fucks with.

tbh, hip hop is for everybody. there are so many artist with a variety of messages/ideas. if you dont want to listen to a misogynistic artist then play somebody else.
My very first post in this thread was this.

It’s called expression of art. You don’t like rappers talking about B this and H that? Fine there are plenty of rappers that aren’t on that. Fuck out of here.

It's an important component because rappers choose for it to be. They don't have to rap about bitches and hoes and shit.

Yes I kno' not everyone does but the majority of mainstream rappers have misogynistic songs/bars it just is what it is.

It's all a matter of perspective. Are there songs where dudes speak on sexual desires for women or bad experiences with women? Yes. Is that misogyny. I don't know. I wouldn't say it is. That's no worse than the many songs women have talking about getting money out of niggas or bitching about no-good niggas. I wouldn't refer to those songs as misandry. Now if you are talking about Bitches Ain't Shit or Gorilla Pimpin types of songs, then yeah those are misogynistic, but really, how many songs are there out there like that? Yes, dudes can lighten up on the "bitches and hoes" talk in rap, but I feel like you're exaggerating when you say that's an important component of rap.

anyway, i just look at what she said as creating a discussion. which it has.

This is the only part that matters about what you said because it proves my point. You can't say some incendiary shit to start a conversation and then complain about the conversation being about the way you said something rather than what you said. Ya'll are playing a crazy game in here. Several people arguing in favor of what she said already said she could have phrased it better and even gave better examples of what she could have said, and somehow ya'll are simultaneously trying to act like there is nothing wrong with she said. It's silly.

And we can all appeal to analogies to support our side. The cops and cop apologists always excuse the unfair treatment of black people by pointing to the high crime rates and acting like it's ok to treat all black people one way because of the presence of criminals in the black community. I'm sure you know that's ridiculous. So why is it not equally as ridiculous to constantly attack black men, rappers, or whoever else broadly when only a subset of that group are offending parties? Again, you can make the argument that misogyny in rap should be reduced without basically saying that every male rapper is guilty of it.

My very first post in this thread was this.

It’s called expression of art. You don’t like rappers talking about B this and H that? Fine there are plenty of rappers that aren’t on that. Fuck out of here.
real question no snark or sarcasm

if an artist who has grammy nominated music and oscar nominated movies and donates money and time to the community and loves black culture and people, if she/he thinks there is a preponderance of violence in hip-hop, how is he/she acceptably allowed to express that in your opinion?

cause you think a tweet of 3 sentences is too much. what is acceptable? is anything acceptable? how does one express the issues they have in something?

real question no snark or sarcasm

if an artist who has grammy nominated music and oscar nominated movies and donates money and time to the community and loves black culture and people, if she/he thinks there is a preponderance of violence in hip-hop, how is he/she acceptably allowed to express that in your opinion?

cause you think a tweet of 3 sentences is too much. what is acceptable? is anything acceptable? how does one express the issues they have in something?
She has the right to an opinion. It doesn’t mean I have to agree with it. Kanye thought slavery was a choice and he got checked.

It's all a matter of perspective. Are there songs where dudes speak on sexual desires for women or bad experiences with women? Yes. Is that misogyny. I don't know. I wouldn't say it is. That's no worse than the many songs women have talking about getting money out of niggas or bitching about no-good niggas. I wouldn't refer to those songs as misandry. Now if you are talking about Bitches Ain't Shit or Gorilla Pimpin types of songs, then yeah those are misogynistic, but really, how many songs are there out there like that? Yes, dudes can lighten up on the "bitches and hoes" talk in rap, but I feel like you're exaggerating when you say that's an important component of rap.

This is the only part that matters about what you said because it proves my point. You can't say some incendiary shit to start a conversation and then complain about the conversation being about the way you said something rather than what you said. Ya'll are playing a crazy game in here. Several people arguing in favor of what she said already said she could have phrased it better and even gave better examples of what she could have said, and somehow ya'll are simultaneously trying to act like there is nothing wrong with she said. It's silly.

And we can all appeal to analogies to support our side. The cops and cop apologists always excuse the unfair treatment of black people by pointing to the high crime rates and acting like it's ok to treat all black people one way because of the presence of criminals in the black community. I'm sure you know that's ridiculous. So why is it not equally as ridiculous to constantly attack black men, rappers, or whoever else broadly when only a subset of that group are offending parties? Again, you can make the argument that misogyny in rap should be reduced without basically saying that every male rapper is guilty of it.
im not reading all this shit man
you can say hip hop aint mostly violent and have it.

im done with this topic i aint trying to go back and forth no more with you.
like i said to the other guy, i have been won over.

View attachment 312689
:ualreadyknow:
props to him for losing weight
but even in article you posted he is saying he had to change the lifestyle he had been living and his eating, which was the focus of his music (which i was saying did not promote a healthy lifestyle) which led to his friend dying.

so for you to use this article in the way you have, like i said, is purposefully being obtuse. he is agreeing with exactly what i said.

props to him for losing weight
but even in article you posted he is saying he had to change the lifestyle he had been living and his eating, which was the focus of his music (which i was saying did not promote a healthy lifestyle) which led to his friend dying.

so for you to use this article in the way you have, like i said, is purposefully being obtuse. he is agreeing with exactly what i said.
You’re moving the goalposts but it’s cool.

Black men are pretty much the face of hip hop so that’s why for years people have always put a negative spin on it and blame it for the problems in black society. Her saying hip hop is misogynistic is a thinly veiled attack on black men.

so black women can never have any criticism for anything in the community because men might feel attacked? Are we that soft

I'm not really sure who you're talking about, but to me, it seems like your post is the definition of being purposefully obtuse. You literally left out the part of her post that puts it in a context that makes it too broad a criticism. And from what I've seen no one is taking what she said personally. People are just pointing out that the implications of her statement are dubious.

I understand everyone who takes the stance that we shouldn't let bad delivery of a message take away from the real issue being addressed. That's fine. I don't understand people that look at a bad message and then want to act like it's perfectly fine and that anyone who expresses distaste for the way the message is presented is "taking personal offense." None of us in here are rappers. The comment wasn't directed at us, so none of us can take personal offense in this matter.

What do you mean when you say popular or important component? That makes it sound like its the misogyny that makes the music. I don't know that that's true. The misogyny is there, but I wouldn't call it an important component of Hip Hip. When we're judging rappers, we talk about their lyrics and flow. We don't get on here and reward points for how well they can belittle women.

Lol literally niggas don’t like Drake because his music is too simp like tho

nah man, you posted Tyler, the Creator to show not all rap is misogynistic or violent

tyler the creator.

next you gonna post eminem’s bonnie and clyde and say “see he shows love to his daughter in this song!”

you won.

I could see if he posted all the conscious niggas he literally just post any nigga that every made a song lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back